PDA

View Full Version : Father's pride

stephen thrift
03-24-2009, 11:25 PM
I had the best fishing experience this past Saturday that any Dad could hope for. I was in Townsend to celebrate my birthday with my wife and 13 year old daughter. We mostly hiked and hung around the cabin (Top of Townsend - great place, great people), however I did manage to get a couple of hours in with the fly rod. On Saturday about 5 pm I walked into my favorite hole near Metcalf Bottoms. My daughter sat on the bank to watch her Dad display his mastery with the fly (yeah, right). I noticed a small hatch of blue winged olives so I tied one on. Immediately the rainbows cooperated. I was in heaven. Not only catching fish, but having my daughter there, things could not get any better. Or so I thought! I walked over to the bank and told Madison that I needed a good luck hug. She asked why since I was catching fish. I explained, those were rainbow and I love catching browns. She indulged me with a big ol hug and I returned to my original spot. One cast, one fish - a big fat brown. Now that's what I call a perfect day.
Steve

Bran
03-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Now that's pretty neat! We all need one of those now and then.

Brian Griffing
03-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Awesome. I took my daughter, also named Madison, fishing not long ago. Great experience. Good job getting your kids in the woods, Steve.

cherokeeflyboy
03-25-2009, 10:36 AM
That is a PERFECT DAY! I hope that the brown was just the icing on the cake though. Oh, and Happy belated Birhtday.

It is nice to know that some parents are taking their kids fishing...not enough parents spent enough time with their children or give them the attention that they need and deserve these days. My children are grown and are not into fishing in their adulthood. Some of my best memories are of taking them fishing and watching their faces glow with joy when they got a fish on the line. Hopefully some day I will have the chance to take a grandchild fishing....sure do miss that.