PDA

View Full Version : Trout Candy

BlueRaiderFan
03-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Picked up a few midges called "Trout Candy" at Tim's Flies and Lies in Lynchburg the other week. Haven't tried them yet, but I hear they are killer. Obviously I wouldn't post about a fly shop in direct competition with LRO. This a TINY shop in Lynchburg. If you ever fish the Elk, get over there and buy a couple sizes of Tim's Trout Candy. You can probably get all of the material from LRO and with FREE SHIPPING! (Thats big). I will post a pick soon.

BlueRaiderFan
03-25-2009, 09:31 PM
You can't see much, but here goes:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/83_1.jpg

cherokeeflyboy
03-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Wished I could see it better, can you give a discription of it?

BlueRaiderFan
03-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I have one in my box...will try and post a better pick 2 morry.

BlueRaiderFan
03-25-2009, 10:50 PM
The wife was hogging the great glow god box AKA the TV, so I went ahead and took the pick tonight:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/March%202009/100_3468b.jpg

BlueRaiderFan
03-25-2009, 10:54 PM
The body is some kind of black plastic wrapped with gold wire and a brass bead head. The Thorax looks like some sort of synthetic blend with sparkleys in it...

EarlOfSoDak
03-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Do older, bigger, fish have cataracts? If so, your pics are a good interpretation of what they'll see. Very sly my friend, very sly. You have learned to think outside the box. ;)

BlueRaiderFan
03-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Hey! The second one ain't so bad...:mad:

EarlOfSoDak
03-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Very true Just figured I'd give ya a hard time... Sarcasm is hard to perceive in text...

cherokeeflyboy
03-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the 2nd pic and the description...I do have an eye exam this morning at 10:30 maybe the 1st pic will look better. It looked like it was green maybe I am colored blink too. The FAA would not like that...LOL.

roberts618
03-26-2009, 05:17 PM
http://cumberlandtu.org/newsreel/images/timstroutcandy.jpg

Timís Trout Candy
Hook: Dai-Riki 135 weighted scud hook, sizes 12-14
Bead: 5/32 Gold
Thread: UTC 140 Tan
Rib: Hot Yellow Ultra Wire
Abdomen: UTC Vinyl Rib Brown
Thorax: 80/20 mix of coyote under-fur and Ice Dubbing UV Pearl

Source: Cumberland Chapter TU Website - www.cumberlandtu.org (http://www.cumberlandtu.org)

BlueRaiderFan
03-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Very true Just figured I'd give ya a hard time... Sarcasm is hard to perceive in text...

No, I got it:biggrin: I wasn't really mad.;)

BlueRaiderFan
03-26-2009, 07:06 PM
http://cumberlandtu.org/newsreel/images/timstroutcandy.jpg

Timís Trout Candy
Hook: Dai-Riki 135 weighted scud hook, sizes 12-14
Bead: 5/32 Gold
Thread: UTC 140 Tan
Rib: Hot Yellow Ultra Wire
Abdomen: UTC Vinyl Rib Brown

Source: Cumberland Chapter TU Website - www.cumberlandtu.org (http://www.cumberlandtu.org)

One upped in my own dang thread...:eek:

Fishermansfly
03-26-2009, 07:53 PM
What camera are you using? The ISO's are high in the last pic cuz it's dark..Does your camera have a macro feature? Try using a solid lighter colored background, in good light and find out your camera's focal distance....My camera is at 7" from the subject. Once your picture is taken you will have to edit/crop it with a program like PICASA, it's a free Google App. Hope that helps!

I might be able to help you out a little more if you give me your camera's make and model, it may just require you getting a new camera! I'd strongly reccomend a Sony point and shoot, but they don't make waterproof cams yet!

~Brett

PeteCz
03-26-2009, 08:15 PM

This right here is what's so intimidating to folks just getting started with flytying and why no matter how much stuff I buy, I'll never have enough!!

coyote under-fur??

What a hoot! Not just coyote fur...but under-fur....

Guess I need to run out and buy more stuff. Or at least pay more attention to the roadkill in the ditches along the highway....
:rolleyes:

Everytime I see something like this, my Siberian Husky instinctively know to avoid me whenever I have a pair of scissors in my hand...

BlueRaiderFan
03-26-2009, 08:59 PM
I was thinkin' of using 'possum under fur, but those rascals can bite!

BlueRaiderFan
03-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the 2nd pic and the description...I do have an eye exam this morning at 10:30 maybe the 1st pic will look better. It looked like it was green maybe I am colored blink too. The FAA would not like that...LOL.

Yeah, my camera isn't so great, not to mention my living room light is like the office of Mr. Scrooge...one candle.:cool: Unfortunately I'm too apathetic to strive for perfection...:redface:

cherokeeflyboy
03-26-2009, 09:36 PM
I was thinkin' of using 'possum under fur, but those rascals can bite!

Good ideal...I may get the scissors after my cat if I can catch her...LOL.

BlueRaiderFan
03-26-2009, 09:54 PM
This right here is what's so intimidating to folks just getting started with flytying and why no matter how much stuff I buy, I'll never have enough!!

coyote under-fur??

What a hoot! Not just coyote fur...but under-fur....

Guess I need to run out and buy more stuff. Or at least pay more attention to the roadkill in the ditches along the highway....
:rolleyes:

Everytime I see something like this, my Siberian Husky instinctively know to avoid me whenever I have a pair of scissors in my hand...

Besides...everyone knows that the top fur on a coyote is used for making a dry caddis.

Flyfishjeep
03-27-2009, 08:30 AM
I do have a couple coyote's damaging my turkey population... I may be able to help Byron stock some under-fur in the near future.

**No taking pre-orders for Coyote under fur** HaHaHa

UofMontanaAlum
03-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Hey! The second one ain't so bad...:mad:

No, he's right. It's bad. :cool:

donwinn
03-27-2009, 01:22 PM
1. The pictures are bad.

2. Not sure I would call a size 14 a midge.

3. Try the fly prior to posting - especially on another shops web page. That candy might not be very sweet.

Just for clarity, I have never even attempted to take a picture of a fly in my vice. It would probably be much worse if I did it. I have tried the fly. I am not sure candy is the appropriate name although I do intend to use it in a future article about flies.

Hang in there fellow "Raider" and keep fishing.:smile:

cherokeeflyboy
03-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the details, I will give it a try in the next day or two and compare them...if you promise not to laugh....LOL.

BlueRaiderFan
03-27-2009, 07:46 PM
1. The pictures are bad.

2. Not sure I would call a size 14 a midge.

3. Try the fly prior to posting - especially on another shops web page. That candy might not be very sweet.

Just for clarity, I have never even attempted to take a picture of a fly in my vice. It would probably be much worse if I did it. I have tried the fly. I am not sure candy is the appropriate name although I do intend to use it in a future article about flies.

Hang in there fellow "Raider" and keep fishing.:smile:

Nah, when I start to get paid for trying the gear and giving reviews, then I'll try them first.:biggrin: Besides, it'll give me something to talk about when I actually try it. It was an interesting fly and it's slow right now, so we may as well have a talk about it;) I do plan on using it soon. I like larger "midges." I seem to catch more fish on them.

streamsideguy
03-28-2009, 07:08 AM
if you want a good picture of the fly, set your camera to the macro setting, usually implied a flower, and use lots of light and a neutral colored background.

troutslayer3393
03-28-2009, 07:24 AM
To get good pictures with mine, I put it under the magnifying glass with no zoom on my camera

Flyfishjeep
03-28-2009, 09:12 AM
To get good pictures with mine, I put it under the magnifying glass with no zoom on my camera

Now we know how David Knapp catches such large fish!!!!!

Using the magnafine glass is such a great idea, and probably very obvious to everyone else. I am going to try that next time I post a pic.
Thanks.

cherokeeflyboy
03-28-2009, 09:54 AM
if you want a good picture of the fly, set your camera to the macro setting, usually implied a flower, and use lots of light and a neutral colored background.

Thanks for that tip SSG...what a difference that made!

BlueRaiderFan
03-28-2009, 10:45 PM

Streamside,

I've been using the setting, but I need a tripod to steady the camera and better light. I will work on my setup.

donwinn
03-29-2009, 09:16 PM
BlueRaiderFan,

I hope you understand that those were just friendly jabs. In reality, I have no right qestioning anyone's picture taking, fly descriptions, and certainly not fishing skill.

Good luck on the water from a MTSU grad school alum.

BlueRaiderFan
03-29-2009, 10:08 PM
BlueRaiderFan,

I hope you understand that those were just friendly jabs. In reality, I have no right qestioning anyone's picture taking, fly descriptions, and certainly not fishing skill.

Good luck on the water from a MTSU grad school alum.

Donn,

To be honest, I wasn't sure, but I've had to learn to not take things so personally on these boards. There are a lot of people on the internet that say things on a board they would never say to your face. Life is just too short for me to care any more. Anyway, thanks for clearing it up. I can't wait to get revenge on Miss St. at Floyd this year!

Dwayne

streamsideguy
03-31-2009, 03:18 AM
Thanks for that tip SSG...what a difference that made!

glad to see it helped someone! :smile: