PDA

View Full Version : Rent a boat?

hungNtree
03-27-2009, 09:15 AM
I am new to fly fishing and there aren't that many people around here that do it, but I have a very good friend that use to fly fish. However, about 10 years ago he was in a terrible car accident. He lost his wife in it, and he is pretty crippled up. He can still walk, but there is no way he can go wading, and he gave up fly fishing. I saw an episode of Fly Fishing the World on TV, they were takeing all of the wounded vets from the war, fly fishing. Which I think is absolutely awesome. My wife and I began thinking about my friend and was wondering if Little River Outfitters, or maybe someone else close to the park rented out a drift boat for fly fishing? If we can, we would very much like to take him fishing, though I must admit, my wife and his new wife are very close friends and will probably put in to go shopping while we fish. Which would be a great stimulus package for the shop owners, but I am not sure we can afford it. :biggrin: But seriously, I would really love to take him fly fishing and any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
hNt

Mocs123
03-27-2009, 11:40 AM
You can use a drift boat, kayak, float tube etc on some of the larger tailwaters in Tennessee. I wouldn't think there would be many places in or near the park with enough water though. I am not aware of anywhere that rents boats by themselves, but there are a lot of guide services around that will do drift boat trips for ~$350-$400 per day. You can also buy a basic float tube for around $150.

hungNtree
03-29-2009, 12:26 PM
OK, thanks alot. I have been to the park many times, but believe it or not I have never fished there and I couldn't remember if there were any streams there large enough or not. thanks for your help.:smile:

BlueRaiderFan
03-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Some of the water around Elkmont could probably be fished from a wheel chair if a person had a longer rod to reach the water with. Also, there are some great float trips on the Caney Fork and I would imagine on the Holston/Clinch etc in the East Tenn/Western NC area.

BlueRaiderFan
03-29-2009, 03:08 PM
If you wanted to make it a habit, you could buy a canoe and take him on trips. You can get into a canoe with chairback seats, paddles, vests etc for around $750 and you could use it any time you wanted.

billyspey
03-29-2009, 05:03 PM
several good guides offer drift boat flyfishing on the tailwaters in this area .from the caney fork in middle tn. to the s holston near bristol.

BlueRaiderFan
03-29-2009, 10:04 PM
You can float the Caney for a day for about $35 in a rental canoe. There are several places to pull over and fish as well. If you need any guidance on the Caney or the Elk in Tennessee, let me know. The other rivers I have no idea about.