PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Fished GUNTER FORK?

mayday
03-30-2009, 05:20 PM
I went cross country in the Gunter Fork drainage over the weekend and think I have found a new favorite place. I crossed Big Creek at Camel Gap trail and hiked up the trail to the Balsam Mtn intersection and then bushwacked all the way back down Gunter Fork until I ran into the old RR grade, then used it to get back to the trail just below the lower falls. What a blast. I did not have my fly rod but wished I had. The creek did not have smooth algae covered rocks like most of the Park but instead had jagged, sharp rocks with no algae on them. I am not sure that this is a healthy stream and if it has any fish in the upper reaches. Have any of you all fished Gunter Fork either the lower part below the water falls or the upper part along the RR grade? Here is a pic as we were coming down
one of the drainages in the upper section.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll141/jeffwadley/100_4327.jpg

bones
03-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Pretty looking, my kinda stream. I love super slim water, but how did the drought treat that drainage.

mtnman2888
03-31-2009, 06:36 AM
I fished it last year sometime in August i think. They had just had some recent rain and the water levels were good. All you will find there are brookies in the normal park size. I can't say that i would walk that far just to fish that stream, but then again i did so don't listen to me. Just be careful as you will be all by yourself. The somewhat heavy traffic that goes with the big creek trail all but disappears once you get on that stream.

By the way, instead of fishing gunter, keep your walking shoes on for a little while longer next time.........