PDA

View Full Version : Maine Flyfishing

FishNHunt
03-31-2009, 01:16 PM
I will be going to Maine in late July. Can anyone turn me onto a good place to visit where I can drop a fly. I would primarily like to catch Brookies but any trout will do. Thanks.

autek
03-31-2009, 02:58 PM
I was already to offer my suggestion on where to go in Maine, but then I got to the trout. This is the best place to visit for some ideas ::

http://www.flyfishinginmaine.com/

I go to Grand Lake Stream twice a year, fly fishing only in the stream. Landlocked Salmon, average 12 to 20+, they are actually in the Trout family. There is also the occasional Bass that come down the fish ladder from the lake. This is a great place to stay ::

http://www.canalsidecabins.com/

Just my thoughts on a great place to stay and fish.

Ed

PeteCz
03-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Here is a thread that has some good info on Maine that occurred last year:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10459&highlight=maine

My family and I just came back from Maine and while I was there I struck up a conversation with a guy in the FF section of LL Bean in Freeport. He got out the DeLorme map of Maine and showed me a few spots around Sebago Lake that held good populations of fish, as well, so if you are close to Portland you could have another relatively quick alternative

Kytroutbum
03-31-2009, 05:12 PM
If you'll be in the Baxter Park, West Branch of Penobscot area north of Millinnocket or around Greenville, I can put you into some Landlocks along with Brookies. Landlocks are AWESOME. Let me know.

Randall Sale
The Kytroutbum
The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?---Lee Wulff

FishNHunt
03-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the information. I will be on my "honey moon" and she already knows the first thing being packed is the fly rods. She is learning to flyfish slowly but, surely. She caught her first fish on a fly rod last year and she has been reading up on it and trying to get her casting down pat. I will put her threw the flyfishing class at LRO this spring as soon as I can. (it sure helped me out) We are still in the planning stages of the trip so far so we aren't really sure where we will be visiting up there only that, that is where are hearts are set on going.

PeteCz
03-31-2009, 07:37 PM
FishNHunt,

My Wife and I honeymooned in Maine 22 years ago (in Sept) on a whim and fell in love with the place. We try to go up at least once a year, if not more. The coast is spectacular and inland is some of the most pristine areas in the country.

If you have never been and are not sure where to go, drop me an email and I'd be happy to give you some great places to go, eat, stay and shop. petecz at charter.net

Kytroutbum
04-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Use the Flyfishinginmaine.com site. I've used it several times and the folks were extremely helpful!!

Randall Sale
The Kytroutbum
The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?---Lee Wulff

seagull
04-02-2009, 05:21 AM
If you are near the NW corner near the Maine NH line, the McGalloway and Adroscoggin have some good public access. The Rapid is an incredible fishery, but requires a long bumpy drive on a logging road, then a 40 minute hike. Brookies and landlocks, and that should be around the time of the alderfly hatch, which has incredible dry fly fishing. The Rapid is where I got to watch Flat Fly'n fight what he thought was a trophy brookie, but it turned out to be a 22 inch creek chub. That was priceless. A 2 foot long landlock will put on an aerial display like no other fish, they are amazing! Ponds and float tubes are another fun option, and ponds full of brookies are everywhere, and skating caddis imitations is a fun way to catch them. There is a sporting goods store, LL Coty, in Errol NH (right on the border and only a few yards from the Androscoggin) that is a great source of info. If you are near the coast, that is the perfect time of year for stripers in the surf. Maine is an incredible state, lots of water and lots of fish, just make sure to take a gallon of skeeter repellent.

FishNHunt
04-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Flights are booked and reservations made. We are going to be in Maine the last week in July. We will be staying in Bar Harbor near Arcadia National Park. Is there any good flyfishing in or near that area that anyone knows of?

Kytroutbum
04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
There are several ponds in the park that have fish. One problem YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WADE!! even with waders, float tubes kick boats etc are out. I tried it myself.(Drinking Water source) Can use a Kayak or boat! I didn't fish them much, was too late in year Mid Oct.Most were closed at that time. We did the hiking etc my wife had put up with 3 weeks of WB LL's and Baxter Brookies. Jordan Pond, Bubble Pond are two right off that looked fishy. Eagle and Echo are two others. I'd carry a sinking line as everything is Glacially carved and extremely deep. The lakes are in deep V- shaped valleys with steep drop offs.

Again use the flyfishinginmaine.com site for specifics- They are extremely helpful. The Seacoast of Acadia is extremely rocky ,steep. I'd not fool with Stripers from shore there without getting a guide with boat.

You might be able to rent a canoe or 'yak (?)in Bah Hah-bah to fish in park.Or a park concessionaire. I DID NOT SEE ANY FLYSHOPS OR FLY TACKLE THERE ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!! The LL Bean in Ellsworth is basically clothes outlet, some rodsand reels- NO flies leaders etc. I'd carry all my own leader tippet flies. Take a lot of streamers for the Ponds.
I believe the ACADIA National Park site has some fishing info on it. http://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/fishing.htm
I think I have some additional info on Fishing in Acadia. I'll post it if and when I can find it. Again I go to Maine every other year, With Acadia usually at the tailend, most of fishing season closed.

Randall Sale
The Kytroutbum