PDA

View Full Version : finally I got a good one!

jross
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
well, this is my second try at this. I tried posting up more pics and stories about my week, but after taking too long, I guess I got timed out!!

So for now I'll tell ya'll about Saturday (my last day to fish before heading home). I watched my boys during the morning while my wife went shopping:rolleyes: So once she got back and let me off the leash, I took off straight to Metcalf since it was closest and I hadn't fished it yet.

I got to a great place that is special to me and I got there just in time for the sun to peak out. I guess the bugs liked the warmth, because they started flying around. Then the fish started flying around after the bugs as well! So I wade out a little bit and catch a 8" bow. Then I got smart, backed off swithched to a 16 blue para. and 7X. On the first cast I get this.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/pikerhoss/spring%20break%202009/springbreak2009016.jpg
I go to keep it and put it in my bag, but noticed my camera was in there. So I snap a quick pic and debated the ethics of keeping such a fish, and decided to let it go. It was 13" or so and only my 3rd ever brown. I sat there afterward awhile, thanked the Lord and walked out.

Carolina Boy
03-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Congrats, Seems like the park is a riddle that is like a switch turning on...Once you start to "get it" all of a sudden the fish don't seems so impossible. Sounds like you turned the corner!

flyred06
03-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Jump in and get it posted today in the fish of the month catagory. It is fun to join in on and always there for quick retrieve if you ever want to view it again.:smile:

gmreeves
03-31-2009, 05:19 PM
That's a beautiful brown! I like how dark he is with those nice red spots.

nvr2L8
03-31-2009, 07:16 PM
jross,

Beautiful fish! Thanks for leaving him for the rest of us to take a shot at.

David Knapp
03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Love the colors on that brown...very nice fish! Thanks for releasing it as well...

BlueRaiderFan
03-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Nice! Congrats my friend.

cherokeeflyboy
03-31-2009, 08:10 PM
A pat on the back to my fellow fisherman...congrats. I too am a catch and release person....everyone out there thanks you. Hopefully I will add my brown in 19 days.

jross
04-02-2009, 07:49 AM
thanks you guys for all the replies.

ijsouth
04-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Very nice fish...and I understand the dilemma of keeping or releasing fish. I generally release all my fish, particularly if it is a nice specimen - I've always thought that if, say, a brookie makes it to 8 inches or more, it might have superior genes, and I always like to give it one more chance to spawn before it dies. On the other hand, I do keep the occasional trout - particularly if I'm fishing in "spec territory" and I get a keeper sized rainbow - I'll usually keep the fish in that circumstance. Also, if I get one that is obviously a stray stocker that wandered inside the park boundary, I'll keep those.

In actuality, we probably ought to all harvest a few fish - it might help with the balance on the streams. However, it is hard for me to get out of the release mindset, particularly with the brook trout.

hw3
04-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Metcalf yielded my largest trout from GSMNP; 14 1/4" Brown on a #16 stimmie. In a spot below last of the pkg/lot picnic/campsites. Took the time to walk around to get below spot that looked good so to fish upstream, and was rewarded. Have not been back since last spring, but when I go will definately hit the Bottoms even if only on my way out. Watson

Fishermansfly
04-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Congrats, and welcome to a life long addiction!

~Brett