PDA

View Full Version : Novice Trying the Park out on Friday - Advice Requested

Mocs123
04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
I am starting a 65 mile backpacking trip on Saturday and am meeting my shuttle at Smokemont Campground early Saturday morning so I plan on staying there on Friday night. I am thinking about heading up to the park early on Friday afternoon and try my novice hand at fishing somewhere in the park. My question is where are some of the better places for a beginner to go? If I go to the west side of the park, I will go in 74, but I could go 321 in through Townsend and stop at LRO if I need to pick up some flies. They have been really good in helping me get started.

Where should I go for a novice flyfisherman?

What flies?

What Techniques?

Any other advice?

If it matters I have:

9 5wt rod
5X Tippet.

Thanks for your help!

Mocs

mtnman2888
04-01-2009, 04:48 PM
This will be quick since i'm in a hurry right now, but in short right now is a good time to throw any gray colored flies, dry or wet. Adams, quill gordon, thunderhead, george nymph, etc. If you're staying at smokemont walk up bradley's fork a bit, there is always good fishing there.

sammcdonald
04-01-2009, 06:26 PM
you also have the lufty river which has some nice fish right near smokemont...what is your hiking route?

Mocs123
04-01-2009, 06:42 PM
We are actually hiking the AT from Winding Stair Gap to Newfound Gap, but because some of the people in the group have long drives and the fact that the shuttle is meeting us at 8:00AM, they decided to stay at Smokemont that night, and I having no desire to leave the house at 5:00AM is going to join them that night.

I will not be taking my fishing gear backpacking, but plan on fishing in the park on Friday before I meet them at Smokemont. This will be my first attempt at fly fishing, so far I have taken the LRO Day 1 and been casting in the yard. Even though I haven't fished at all in about 5 years, I used to fish for trout with spinning gear so I have waders and am familiar with wading small mountain streams (I used to fish Tellico regualrly).

Thanks for your help

BlueRaiderFan
04-01-2009, 07:50 PM
IMO fish from the bank as much as possible. Be very quiet. Don't stomp your feet! Fish the closest water and work your way out. Hide as much as you can e.g, if you have to get into the stream, use boulders to hide behind to fish the pools upstream. Bring LOTS of flies. You will lose a lot if you are not used to fishing in those tight mountain streams. Bring an emergency blanket, matches, extra water and food.

BlueRaiderFan
04-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Try and use at least a 9ft leader