PDA

View Full Version : Reading Everything I Can Get!

fish1onthefly
04-01-2009, 05:00 PM
My first post here
I am planning a trip to Townsend the first week in June from Texas. I love to fish in the smaller water and what I can see here I will be going to Heaven....
I will be there 4 days and fishing early mornings. My goal is to target a couple of spots that I can hike into, and fish where I do not have to compete. I have ordered the maps recomended here but they are not in yet. Any help on spots to target would be welcomed.. I fit the 50's model class but I am pretty good shape. I find the posts here very helpful. I also post on a kayak/fishing site that is also a wealth of information if you are interested..It has fresh, salt and fly fishing boards.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/portal.php
I look forward to your replys

old tom
04-01-2009, 08:33 PM
I'd recommend Ian Rutter's book. Since LRO doesn't have it on their web site, I'll recommend buying it from the Park bookstore where all the profits go back into the park. http://www.smokiesstore.org/browse.cfm/2,52.html

BlueRaiderFan
04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
fly fishing small streams -gierarch

flynut
04-02-2009, 12:00 AM
...or anything by Gierach...

PeteCz
04-02-2009, 09:05 AM
f1otf,

I think we strayed a bit from your original request. If you want to do some hiking but don't want to over do it, A hike up the Little River Trail may be a good start. The stream is very fishable along the length of the trail.

Another good option is to hike up the Deep Creek Trail, same situation, although the trail does stray from the stream at a couple more difficult hiking sections. Its not a tough trail but a little more strenuous than the Little River Trail.

On both trails you will see hikers, etc, but the farther you go the less you will see people fishing (and hiking for that matter).

There are lots of options for more strenuous hiking/fishing, but those are two of the best options to do some hiking and a lot of fishing...

A general rule of thumb is that if you hike about 10 minutes on any trail along a stream you will find quite a bit of solitude. Even though the park gets 9M visitors a year, I bet 95% never get out of their car (or only do so in Cades Cove). And the remaining 4.9% never stray more than .25 miles from their cars...so with over 800 miles of streams, you shouldn't have any trouble finding quiet spots...

fish1onthefly
04-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks I will check out the advice when my books get here

fly fisherman DK
04-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Two other places you could try are the West Prong of the Little River and Anthony Creek in Cades Cove.