PDA

View Full Version : April fool!

nvr2L8
04-01-2009, 08:28 PM
OK, Pete is probably too much of a gentleman to talk about our fishing trip today so I'll try to do it justice.

First of all, it was a perfect Spring day. Air temp got up to 73, water temp up to 55, clear blue skies, and bugs everywhere on a beatufilly running Middle Prong at the Tremont Institute. Couldn't ask for a better day. We put into the water around 11:30 at the first pulloff after the blacktop ends. I went down stream a ways and Pete got in ahead of me. I tried a variety of different flies (several dries, a Quill Gordon dry with a QG emerger in tow, nymphs) but the majority of the action appeared to be on dries - trout popping up out of their hiding places all over and banging at the dries. Problem is there were no takers.

When I caught up with Pete, I had hooked one that got away but no catches. Pete, on the other hand, had caught six and lost two. He shared a really nice Caddis with me and I took the lead on the next leg. I caught one fairly soon (dropped it before I could get a picture) and lost another. By the time Pete caught up, he had caught another six. Tally at this point, Pete twelve, Charlie one.

Pete leapfrogged and gave me another of his magic Caddis flies and the trout continued to rise to the fly but no takers. When we finally quit for the day, Pete had caught "a couple more" and I was still stuck with my one. I'm blaming the day on the Buddy Curse, i.e., two guys go fishing and one slays while the other is slain. I certainly can't be that I really just suck that bad.

All in all, it was a day on the river for me and not at work; for Pete a day of smashing success on Middle Prong. Oh well, there's still a lot of April left and it can only get better.

adirondack46r
04-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great time. I hit the water a little later than you. And "bugs everywhere" is right. Caddis, QG, some olives, and a very tiny mayfly that I couldn't identify in huge numbers.

Here's one of several that took a CDC comparadun. And for what it's worth, I was alone, so I have no buddy curse to blame it on.

http://www.cafeproductsdirect.com/images/4_1.jpg

Troutman
04-02-2009, 06:59 AM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/Bass09014.jpg

April Fools!

PeteCz
04-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Charlie, not to worry, the next time we go out I'm sure you'll reverse the tables on me!

BTW, even though I managed to sneak out of work...work never stopped. I ended up with over 50 emails and 7 vmails and I wound up working past midnight, so I guess I got the work-hooky curse...no fun goes unpunished...

The Caddis pattern is a variation of the CHC Caddis from Bruce Matthews of BRF tied with the famous TroutDude Mr Rapidan dubbing blend (gotta give credit where credit is due...). Heres a picture of the original (not the ones I tied): http://www.flytyingforum.com/uploads/gallery47cca7378394e.jpg
They float low in the film. I also used some with dary grey rabbit dubbing which worked almost as well.

Troutman, Nice Brookie!!
(http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showpost.php?p=632868&postcount=2)

Byron Begley
04-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Pete,

You need to read today's Fishing Report, the last story.

Gary,

That is a beautiful fish. Based on my experience working with the Park Service Fisheries Staff and reading about fish genetics, I have come to the conclusion your brookie is a Northern Strain fish. I don't think the Southern Appalachian Brook Trout get that large and your specimen has proportionally smaller eyes more like the Northern Strain.

Byron

sammcdonald
04-02-2009, 10:40 AM
catch that on a cdc carparadun?

PeteCz
04-02-2009, 12:16 PM
You need to read today's Fishing Report, the last story.

That's a great story...I'm glad to know that the work I did in the 90s must have help you build the store...

Does that mean I can get an additional discount?....
;)

Paula Begley
04-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Does that mean I can get an additional discount?....
;)

What? Discount?!? What discount? I'll be happy to institute a discount just for you...10% over retail.

Paula

tennswede
04-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Pete, are you busy this coming Sat?