View Full Version : Required Fishing Lic

04-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I hope someone might be able to help me. I was wanting to purchase a North Carolina Fishing Lic. I am only interested in the 10 day lic and I was going to only be fishing within the Park. On the North Carolina web page www.ncwildlife.org (http://www.ncwildlife.org) they are showing:

1. Inland Waters fishing 10 day Basic

Does anyone know if this is the lic I need for Trout fishing the North Carolina side of the Smoky Mountains?

Thanks for any help.

04-02-2009, 09:37 PM
yeah, i think thats it...you might want to call someone at the ncwrc just to make sure though

04-02-2009, 09:57 PM
I have a one year NC, non residence trout fishing license and it is called a "COMP INLAND FISH"......so I think that is the right one that you are talking about

04-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Don't forget your trout stamp. A 10 day non-res in NC plus trout stamp should cost you 20 dollars.

04-03-2009, 09:36 AM
You do not need a trout stamp within the park.

This is from the NPS website:

License Requirements
You must possess a valid fishing license or permit from either Tennessee or North Carolina. Either state license is valid throughout the park and no trout stamp is required. Fishing licenses and permits are not available in the park, but may be purchased in nearby towns or online (links provided by state below). Special permits are required for fishing in Gatlinburg and Cherokee.

Tennessee License Requirements
Residents and nonresidents age 13 and older must have a valid license. Residents age 65 and older may obtain a special license from the state. Buy a license (javascript:HandleLink('cpe_63925_0','CPNEWWIN:New Window^top=10,left=10,width=500,height=400,toolbar =1,location=1,directories=0,status=1,menubar=1,scr ollbars=1,resizable=1@http://www.wildlifelicense.com/tn/');) from the state government of Tennessee.

North Carolina License Requirements
Residents and nonresidents age 16 and older need a license. Residents age 70 and older may obtain a special license from the state. Buy a license (javascript:HandleLink('cpe_63925_0','CPNEWWIN:New Window^top=10,left=10,width=500,height=400,toolbar =1,location=1,directories=0,status=1,menubar=1,scr ollbars=1,resizable=1@http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg01_License/pg1a.asp');) from the state government of North Carolina.

Persons under 16 in North Carolina and under 13 in Tennessee are entitled to the adult daily bag and possession limits and are subject to all other regulations.

04-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Mac, don't know where you reside. Since I fish other NC waters outside of the park, I purchased the one year NR Inland Fish and the Special Trout. The total of the license is $40 for the non-resident (NR) basic license and the trout stamp. Though not required for the GSMNP, the stamp is required for some of the other NC streams.

Jack M.
04-03-2009, 02:20 PM
I think Tennessee is missing out on some license dollars with their pricing scheme for non-residents. They should consider offering a ten-day no trout to be more competitive with NC on the park fishing market.

04-03-2009, 08:13 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a TN or NC license of any length let's a person fish on either side of the park. TN does have a 10 day license I believe.

Jack M.
04-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear-- TN's 10-day is twice as much as NC.

04-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks for everyones help, I think I have it know. Plan to send a fishing report when we get back.

04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
If you have a Tennessee fishing license it is good on the North Carolina side of the park.

04-06-2009, 06:00 PM
You can fish any of the park streams with a NC or TN license. If you plan to fish the lakes better get the NC license, and as you noted it is much more reasonable.