PDA

View Full Version : brown trout flies?

cherokeeflyboy
04-04-2009, 11:42 AM
What would you guys suggest for fishing the larger brown trout fly in the park? This will my first attempt to fish for these and need all the help I can get.

bones
04-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Gigantic stone flies. Size #4-#8 if you just want target large browns. You could go as small as #10-#12 but you will pull in a mess of 'bows too. Girdle bugs, B**ch creek, Twenty Incher, even the Venerable Montana Stone will work. As with all fishing in the park it is not so much the fly but the presentation.

Try fishing on days when the water is a little higher or a little stained. A Cloudy day is good too. Anything to help hide you from the fishes. Also browns past 8 or 9 inches also prefer to feed at night so clouds help them relax a little. If you don't have clouds fishing early and late are your best bets. You probably won't be able to wade; but wading scares more fish than it produces.

fly fisherman DK
04-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Some good streamers to fish would be wooly buggers, muddler minnows, conehead bunny muddlers, and black nose dace. I hope this information helps you in catching some browns in the park.:biggrin:

fly fisherman DK

mlstiehl
04-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I have always had luck catching browns on a royal trude in the late summer early fall. It maybe that the fish do not see this fly very often or that it is just larger that most flies we use in the late summer/fall

To consistantly catch larger fish you need to spend more time looking for them than actually fishing. I have a problem with the not fishing part.

Good luck,
Mike

cherokeeflyboy
04-08-2009, 10:00 PM
I have always had luck catching browns on a royal trude in the late summer early fall. It maybe that the fish do not see this fly very often or that it is just larger that most flies we use in the late summer/fall

To consistantly catch larger fish you need to spend more time looking for them than actually fishing. I have a problem with the not fishing part.

Good luck,
Mike

I will tie up a couple and take with me...thanks mistiehi

Carolina Boy
04-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Caught my biggest 2 browns on a size 6 BH Rubberlegg Prince, one male one female a week apart in the same run same fly, male was 20+ female 18+ Biggest Brown or fish in the park for me.

Art Vandalay
04-09-2009, 06:56 AM
I would throw the usual suspects, with a few considerations.

1) Make sure there are browns in the stream you are fishing

2) Target brown holding spots

3) Fish very early or very late

cherokeeflyboy
04-11-2009, 08:57 AM
I would throw the usual suspects, with a few considerations.

1) Make sure there are browns in the stream you are fishing

2) Target brown holding spots

3) Fish very early or very late

What/where is brown holding spots and how do you fish these spots?

streamsideguy
04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
deep. and hugging the bottom/cover/be prepared to lose flies.

with that being said, you will catch your fair share of small bows and browns. but I wouldnt be complaining :smile:

Carolina Boy
04-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Dude think about big browns this way, they are big because they don't work to hard for their food, which means they are esentially lazy, they will hold in ambush spots much like a largemouth bass. When the water is up a bit and stained look for cuts in the bank they like to sit there because food floats out of the main flow towards the banks and they can nail it. When the water is low and clear it's gonna be advantage fish, there is a reaon they are big, they ain't dumb. Also Browns will eat just about anything which is the reason they grown as big as they do in the park. See brownies eat sculpins and fish and crayfish ect.. animals that have a hard skeletal system which gives them nutrients that allow them to grown bigger. So thats good meaning if you put something that looks decent in front of em, appropriately drifted cuz rememebr they ain't dumb, there gonna drill it! I look for conditions to go after em, dropping higher water cuz they prbably have eaten less if there is a bunch of runoff and a touch of stain to the water. THINK ABUSH Predator!

cherokeeflyboy
04-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Dude think about big browns this way, they are big because they don't work to hard for their food, which means they are esentially lazy, they will hold in ambush spots much like a largemouth bass. When the water is up a bit and stained look for cuts in the bank they like to sit there because food floats out of the main flow towards the banks and they can nail it. When the water is low and clear it's gonna be advantage fish, there is a reaon they are big, they ain't dumb. Also Browns will eat just about anything which is the reason they grown as big as they do in the park. See brownies eat sculpins and fish and crayfish ect.. animals that have a hard skeletal system which gives them nutrients that allow them to grown bigger. So thats good meaning if you put something that looks decent in front of em, appropriately drifted cuz rememebr they ain't dumb, there gonna drill it! I look for conditions to go after em, dropping higher water cuz they prbably have eaten less if there is a bunch of runoff and a touch of stain to the water. THINK ABUSH Predator!

Thanks Carolina Boy, I learned more from that than anything I have read on the internet. Now I will feel better wasting 3 days fishing for them, at least I now know something about them and what they eat...thanks again.

Carolina Boy
04-12-2009, 04:31 PM
NO Worries, I don't know much but I have listened to some pretty smart park anglers, and spent a good bit of time up there, big flies equal big fish especially in the park.