PDA

View Full Version : targets of opportunity

Troutman
04-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Found some rising fish yesterday. They are a blast on a light 6wt fiberglass fly rod.
I look pretty worn out in this photo. I had paddled about 6 miles on the FB yesterday and had a time trying to get this fish in the boat. I need a boga!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/Bass09024.jpg

bugg
04-05-2009, 06:46 PM
nice fish...i bet that put a bend in the ole rod

fly fisherman DK
04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
I bet that was a fun fight!:biggrin:I have always wanted to catch a carp, and that picture makes me want to catch one even more

flyred06
04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Troutman that is a nice catch. Is there nothing you want attempt on glass. Congrats, that just proves you do not have to have some space age graphite to catch good fish.:eek::smile:

Troutman
04-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Hey Flyred, glad to see you survived the bad storms that rolled through Bama last week.
I had my little 6.5ft lami glass 3wt with me, caught a few little smallies early in the day,

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/Bass09020.jpg

But decided not to push my luck with it on the carp!
Would hate to have a busted mtn. rod for my upcoming spring break trip next week!

flyred06
04-06-2009, 04:02 PM
nice troutman real nice. thanks for the prayers for us bama people and the storms. they are much appreciated.

ChemEAngler
04-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Found some rising fish yesterday. They are a blast on a light 6wt fiberglass fly rod.
I look pretty worn out in this photo. I had paddled about 6 miles on the FB yesterday and had a time trying to get this fish in the boat. I need a boga!

Hey Gary,
What is that you are fishing out of?

bigpopper
04-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Very nice catches troutman! I have got to get into one of those carps! Ive been told my 8wt 9ft'er will do nicely.

Troutman
04-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Travis , its an inflatable kayak.

Big popper, An 8wt with definitely work well. I still fish one when the wind is up or throwing really heavy flies. Luckily, this day the wind was pretty calm.

waterwolf
04-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Love the carp pic, the FB has some unbelievable carp fishing on it, especially around some of the islands.

Rockyraccoon
04-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Nice slab of carp there!

One note, boga's don't seem to catch real well in a carps mouth.

Troutman
04-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Waterwolf, yep, I grew up fishing the islands on the FB with my dad every spring for stripes and crappie. Caught the occasional carp by accident but never spent anytime really fishing for them. I'm glad to finally get back to fishing this river again. Get lots of comments from the bank fishermen, telling me there are no trout in the river when they see me loading the fly rods in the kayak!
Rocky, thanks for the info. I've been trying to decide whether the bogas are worth having.

waterwolf
04-15-2009, 04:21 AM
Waterwolf, yep, I grew up fishing the islands on the FB with my dad every spring for stripes and crappie. Caught the occasional carp by accident but never spent anytime really fishing for them. I'm glad to finally get back to fishing this river again. Get lots of comments from the bank fishermen, telling me there are no trout in the river when they see me loading the fly rods in the kayak!
Rocky, thanks for the info. I've been trying to decide whether the bogas are worth having.

They hold just fine in a carps mouth, trust me on that one. You just have to get it it over the edge of the lip where it can get a purchase.