PDA

View Full Version : Spin Rod Set-up

cardfly
04-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I let Cardfly Jr pick the place for our next fishing trip and he picked the Smokies. That's my boy but I think the Bunkhouse Inn as something to do with the decision.:smile:

My question is has anyone ever rigged up a spinning rod to take in to fish? He struggles with a fly rod and I was thinking about a light weight spinner with maybe one of those trout magnets.

Any suggestions will be appreciated and look for us on May 1.

Kytroutbum
04-08-2009, 06:00 PM
My wife won't flyfish but uses a spinning outfit. I "homemake" small Panther Martin spinners with a barbless "Mosquito" hook. The weight of the Panther Martin takes it deeper and allows a slower retrieve than Rooster tails. Throw them up and across and wind in slow and deep, and he'll load up on fish. We've found that a plain black body and gold blade work the best.

Remember the hook must be single. Rangers will stop and check spin fishermen more quickly than flyfishermen.

Randall Sale
The Kytroutbum
The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?---Lee Wulff

cardfly
04-08-2009, 06:50 PM
So get a Panther Martin Spinner and replace the treble hook with a mosquoito hook? I think I can do that. Maybe.....

Thanks

nvr2L8
04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Cardfly,

Do you have an ultra-light spinning rig? If not, I've got one I could loan you for the trip. 5' rod with an ultra-light reel. If you could use it for CF Jr., drop me a line at bartonca@hotmail.com.

cardfly
04-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks Charlie,

I have a light weight 5ft rod that we use for blue gill but appreciate the offer. Hope to meet you on one of our trips.

troutslayer3393
04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Have him run a white trout magnet with a trout magnet bobber through a deep hole and he will be golden.

Not that Ive ever tried it...shhhh :biggrin:

David Knapp
04-08-2009, 08:39 PM
You might look into getting a guide for him for a half day to polish up some of those fly rod skills... That time of year is prime time for dry fly fishing and the fishing should be good on the long rod...

Rog 1
04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
The first couple of years my son would only spin fish...what he did best....ditto on the trout magnet...in green...try placing a small split shot 12-14" about the magnet and cast it to the head of the pools or up and across the runs...slowly retrieve at a pace that just keeps the line tight and hold on....as a note...I was backpacking with my son and the first afternoon he lost all of his spinning lures in the water....told him to look at this as an opportunity to work on his fly fishing and by midmorning the next day he was telling me where to fish....hasn't used a spinning rod since but I am short my favorite small stream rod so be careful what you ask for

No Hackle
04-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey man before my wife flyfifished she would fish a nymph under a big kahuna indicater, she'd mop up with that rig. Hope you have a good time. Also one quick pointer have him manage his line keeping the slack out this will help on the hook set.
No Hackle ><>

caught 108
04-09-2009, 02:53 PM
cardfly:My wifes uncle goes with me sometimes.He uses a ultra light 5' spinning combo,He fishes the trout magnets and nearly always catches a few fish.He fishes a yellow one or a white one.

troutslayer3393
04-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I dont know what it is about those trout magnets.....you could spook the #$%!!! out of a trout and he would still eat it.

cardfly
04-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Have the rod and reel already and the trout magnets. I just picked up a couple of Panther Martins. My plan is to take off those hooks and put a single hook on with a little old split ring.

Does that sound like the right way to put the hook on???

Kytroutbum
04-14-2009, 12:21 PM
When you put the mosquito hook on be sure it's gape is large enough to hook fish. I make my wife's lures so I can get a minimal size body with a max, weight to keep it down deep. One flaw I find in roostertails is they seem to rise to the top of the water column very quickly with a tighten line.

Remember to have fun, relax and enjoy your time with him. If he's young keep the fustration level as low as possible. Let him decide when to try flyfishing, keep it fun and you'll have a partner for life.

Randall Sale
The Kytroutbum
The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?---Lee Wulff

cardfly
04-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks Randall,

This boy really does love to fish. We started bank fishing when he was 4 and he would fish for hours without a complaint.

We may have to use his little brother for bait. :eek:

Thanks for the information.

fish1onthefly
04-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Just curious which sized hook you put on the spinneres for a replacement?

Kytroutbum
04-16-2009, 06:59 PM
I use a #6 hook. I picked up some short shanked "live bait" hooks that look like they will work also. My wife says flyfishing is "too much work" and likes to spin fish. She complained of having a hard time releasing fish with trebles and having some with mouths injuried. I've pinched the barb down to facilitate an easy release. (She puts a lot of flyfishermen to shame with the TLC she uses releasing fish.) I don't feel the single hook or being barbless has resulted in less fish caught. She has outfished me several times in the high mountain lakes in the Beartooth Mt.s of Wyo/Mont where there is no current to help with the strike.

Randall Sale
The Kytroutbum

fish1onthefly
04-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks.I guess I fall into the "I just love to catch fish" catagory. I like to able to fish with anything from a cane pole to a 4# to a surf rod. I am looking forward to my trip to the park in June. I have fished in a lot of places but never there. From the looks of all the reports the water should be great!

cardfly
04-20-2009, 10:22 AM
We are set. Made 2 lures out of panther martin spinners and found single hook spinners and have a couple of those.

Now come on fish.