PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Walkways

hedge
04-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Hey gang,
I have read about the Quiet Walkways around the Visitors Center. What exactly are they? I assume they are paths leading to some trout.
Are they cleared paths and easy to walk?
Easy access to the water?
As always, thanks for helping a newbie get a better understanding.
Hedge in WV.

Rog 1
04-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Most of the walkways are located between the visitor center and the Chimney's picnic area....they all lead down into the gorge of the W. Prong of the Little Pigeon....the first one you will come to is a handicap walkway among the remains of an old settlement...mostly rock walls and chimneys....this is an area that is almost flat....as you go higher up the mountain the steeper the walkways become....there is a path/trail that parallels the river for all but the last section below the picnic area...the higher you go the bigger the rocks get and the plunge pools....go into one of the lower ones and once you get to the river you can hike up the trail and fish what looks good to you...keep an eye open also...I have seen more bears on this water than anyplace else I have fished in this area in the last 5 years...

Kytroutbum
04-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Besides Bears, I've seen some rattlers over the years, heading up the mountain in the large rocks along the edges of the path. Not enough to keep from fishing it- great water- just a heads up.

Randall Sale
The Kytroutbum
The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?---Lee Wulff

sammcdonald
04-09-2009, 05:22 PM
or you can go to the other side of the river...using old sugarlands trail, which follows the river up to the ccc camp, then old roads and manways away from the trail but mostly along wplr...you will have to cross big branch but it's a rock hop in dryer weather...you will not have a lot of other fisherpersons over there...or alternately, there is a manway that leads from the bridge at chimneys picknic area back north along the east bank of the wplp until it too reaches a couple of rock hops or light fords in normal weather....area is bear prone

hedge
04-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Chimneys Picnic Area. ... Is the fishing any good in there?
Thanks for all your help.

kytroutman
04-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Chimneys Picnic Area. ... Is the fishing any good in there? No, just stay away from the Chimneys area. You're just wasting your time. ;-)

PeteCz
04-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Chimneys Picnic Area. ... Is the fishing any good in there? No, just stay away from the Chimneys area. You're just wasting your time. ;-)

The fishing is lousy if you get hit in the head by a flying rock from a 7 year old...
:biggrin:

The fishing is good, if no one is in the Picnic Area, but make sure you are done by about 10am or you may get pegged. I made the mistake of fishing through there one fine Saturday during lunch hour...
:eek:

kytroutman
04-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Pete, you'll enjoy this. I was there last Summer when three little boys when running down the path close to where I was fishing. I couple of minutes later, their dad stopped by and yelled about the fishing. I responded and about a second later, he got nailed by a rock thrown by one of his brats. I would say that was a long walk back to the parking lot.

PeteCz
04-09-2009, 10:45 PM
That's what I'm talkin' about....
:eek::biggrin:

ccmmcc
04-10-2009, 08:59 AM
I have never seen a bear on the WPLP but I sure have seen lots of snakes. That place seems to be infested with them... Don't let that stop you though. :cool: