PDA

View Full Version : holston river crappie??

Carolina Boy
04-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Unfortunately i do not have a picture as i had waded downstream and was by myself, and yes I can already hear the nay sayers, but I pitched my tan wooley bugger and felt the grab similarly to the bunch of trout from the day, but this time as i brought the fish to hand not only did it fight differently, it looked different, I figured it was a bass, but when I got it close it was a plate sized crappie?? I can honestly say i have never caught a crappie on a fly, didn't know they were in the river, wish I had a pic, anyone else taken crappie out of the holston, on a fly??

waterwolf
04-13-2009, 08:56 AM
I believe you, I have caught tons of them in the Holston. Not just dink crappie but slabs.

They are very common in the TN river system, and even can be found in Clinch in the same section where there are trout.

Go back and catch a stringer full for supper.

Carolina Boy
04-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Yea the one I got was a definite slab, really surprised me

ChemEAngler
04-13-2009, 12:20 PM
I need to get into that action. Don't have much experience with crappie, but do hear they are excellent eating. I would like to try them sometime.

Carolina Boy
04-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Yea man, I know they are great to eat, but never heard of taking one on a flyrod, I am sure people do but surprised me!

David Knapp
04-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Any small white fly is deadly on crappie (think wooly buggers, etc...)... Lots of fun to catch also...

milligan trout degree
04-13-2009, 06:39 PM
bunch of local baitfisherman fish near the dam from crappie. I hardly ever see them catching any though. I fish a pond in ga that is full of crappie and bass. We catch tons of crappie on small buggers. White flies are key.

truchin
04-13-2009, 07:05 PM
I've caught red eye, smallies , carp, shad,drum buffalo and catfish in the holston on flies but never crappie .It doesn't surprise me though. That river is so prolific.
In the summer i catch stripers with cut bait.
jose

Paula Begley
04-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Nothing better than crappie...freshly fried. :biggrin:

Paula

milligan trout degree
04-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Nothing better than crappie...freshly fried. :biggrin:

Paula

Agreed!!!!

sammcdonald
04-16-2009, 04:50 PM
i could go for some fresh fried crappie.....dinner at paula's

Paula Begley
04-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Sam,

You're on! You're bringing the crappie, right? ;)

Paula