PDA

View Full Version : Paula's New Fly! Come Look Guys!

Fishermansfly
04-15-2009, 12:01 AM
So we all know that the Barbie Bug is Paula's favorite fly...errr, at least I do...So I thought I would out do myself tonight and make something I saw in a magazine a little more realistic!

This Bud's for you Paula!
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/fishermansfly/DSC01940.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/fishermansfly/DSC01946.jpg

Now fella's your wifes will thouroughly hate the sport. Even there nail polish isn't safe in the hands of a tier!

Cheers,
~Brett

jmelrod
04-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I saw the same article. How long and how many coats did it take?

Flyfishjeep
04-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Nice looking fly!! What did you make the body out of? Let us know how it works. I bet the panfish at the local lakes would love that pattern...

Fishermansfly
04-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Well the pictures make it look pitiful! There is just no way to take a good photo of it. The back is made using 5 Minute Epoxy. You take a drop of the epoxy and put it onto a non-stick surface. Allow it to cure and then cut out a channel for the hook to sit in. The author of the article took black thread and black hackle to the hook before setting it into the grove. Once in the groove he used superglue to set the hook. He painted it red and black and that was it. It looked ok but not realistic.

I allowed the epoxy to sit about 15 minutes, long enough to dry the first few layers, and then popped it off and started forming it with my fingers to get a decent shape. I then took some 5x Mono and added the legs to the hook. Once the legs were on I had to melt them down. Then I applied the hook to the shell back (epoxy).

The painting isn't easy. I thought it would be, but I was wrong. That bug has about four coats of red on it! My wife sat in the recliner laughing at me as I painted away!

Ben, this thing is gonna sink like a rock. Hackle or not!

~Brett

Paula Begley
04-15-2009, 07:22 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I red head for the new red head! I love it!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

THANK YOU!!!!

Paula

Flyfishjeep
04-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Sink like a rock! Ok. I'll write that down. I'm going to have to try that. It looks like too much fun.

bigpopper
04-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Cool! I wanna know how it does.

nvr2L8
04-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Brett,

Only if it sinks will the fish be able to fully appreciate the paint job on top. Fortunately for all of us, Paula passed on the black spots in her new "paint" job. :rolleyes: