PDA

View Full Version : Green Drake hatch on Abrams Creek

Hugh Hartsell
04-16-2009, 04:40 PM
OK Guys,
Many of you wonder each year about the Green Drake hatch in the Park, and especially on Abrams Creek. We are just a few days away from seeing the first Green Drake Duns showing themselves. You may see a few through the rest of this week and from the middle of this coming week you should see some good activity down there. Get those Green Drake Duns tied up. The Spinners, or egg layers are usually active just before dark and you need to be on the creek when they start.
Hugh

Stonefly
04-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Hey Hugh -

Just in case, what size are they? I have a decent wet fly pattern for GD's.

sb

Fishermansfly
04-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I just visited Hugh's site...Looks like 8-12! This is kinda funny to see, Shows how little I know about our Smoky's. I bough material for green drakes while visiting yellowstone. I was kinda ticked about it, after realizing I'd never really need it again unless returning to Yellowstone. Guess not now! I enjoyed tying them.

~Brett

kytroutman
04-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I normally tie the duns up in a 10 or 12. You have to work the hatch quickly because it passes quickly.

Kytroutbum
04-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Although it probably wouldn't make a difference, I believe that the Western and Eastern Green Drakes are different species and patterns may be different. I know the March Browns are. I'll be in the Park next week and am digging around for my long lost Green Drake Duns and Spinners. I been in on some premo spinner falls and caught some my nicest bows on .... at dusk.

Randall Sale
The Kytroutbum
The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?---Lee Wulff

Hugh Hartsell
04-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Stonefly,
These flies can be huge, as in size # 6- 12. I think that your better off to stick to a size #10-12 because not many fish can get a fly into their mouth if it is tied much bigger than that. For those of you who haven't seen the Green Drake hatching off, it will remind you of a medium sized yellowish green butterfly. They have the ability to pop straight out of the water 6-10in. high as they leave the shuck and become airborne. I have some trips over there at this time and I'll try to get some good pictures of them. You'll want to consider Beaverdam Creek in Shady Valley for the next hatch. It usually occurs about the 18th of May. I hope to see some of you on the stream.
Hugh

kytroutman
04-16-2009, 07:33 PM
You are correct Randall. The Eastern Green Drake is a Ephemera and the Western Green Drake is a Drunella. I have used a EGD fly out West with success but have not had the same results using a WGD here in the East. I have noticed some coloration differences that are noticeable (more yellow versus cream) and minor differences in the patterns.

mtnman2888
04-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Good to see you are back and at 'em hugh! I sure hope someone here gets to experience the hatch, i have heard that it is something special.

kytroutman
04-16-2009, 08:04 PM
If a large hatch occurs simultaneously, it actually will momentarily stun you. That is, until you see for first trout start to feed.

Kytroutbum
04-16-2009, 08:07 PM
I stumbled into a spinner fall several springs ago.- It was unreal.

BlueRaiderFan
04-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Is this it?

http://swittersb.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/drake3.jpg

Fishermansfly
04-16-2009, 08:32 PM
http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/31/Mayfly-Ephemera

There you are!

BlueRaiderFan
04-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Distinctive yellows in this one. Pretty looking fly.

Kytroutbum
04-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Check out Coffin Fly patterns for the Spinners.

Hal M
04-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Great information and discussion guys. Thanks to Hugh for getting it started and to everyone that added to it.

Hal M