PDA

View Full Version : Clinch 4-17

clinchguy
04-17-2009, 11:12 PM
I fished at the church today from 10 till 12:30ish and got skunked.

There was one other guy there that was slaying them. I went through my collection of zebra midges before I worked my way upstream far enough to talk to the guy. He said he was using a gray midge but didn't know the name of the pattern. I threw everything gray I had before the water started to rise but no luck.

I guess there is always tomorrow.

MadisonBoats
04-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, with the temps warming up all day - you have to be active if changing your patterns. Watch the insect activity and check the shallow areas for nymph and larva action to identify colors. Remember, this can change every other hour or so...

Also, try a dropper and see if that gives you more chances...

Good luck bud...

monktrout
04-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Grey on some days on the Clinch can be a killer midge color. It is also a good color choice on the SoHo and the Elk.

Fishermansfly
04-18-2009, 11:47 AM
We are only two or three weeks away from Sulphurs on the Clinch. My guess is to try a split back pmd, tie your favorite version of a PT using OLIVE pheasant tail/not natural, and finally pick up some PT Cruisers at LRO in all sizes. Olive, black, and summer brown should be your color choices on the clinch. When all else fails throw a dirty yellow PT, makes for a good attractor pattern.

~Brett

clinchguy
04-20-2009, 04:36 PM
I went to the outfitter in norris (sorry bryon) and bought everything that had gray and midge in the name. I had some success at millers island on saturday afternoon. I finally go some interest on a gray and black midge it looks like a zebra midge but has a puff instead of a bead for the head and has two small wings. I got success when I put floatant on the wings and got the perfect cast to make the body sink but the wings float. I ended up landing 3 and long distance releasing 2 more. I didn't notice anyone around me having much success.

jamorga1
04-24-2009, 11:43 AM
i have been up there alot this week and have been fishing nothing but #18 bh phesent tails. i tie mine a little different though. tie a bh phesent tail on a scud hook without the arms and you will kill them. i was there all day yesterday and that was the only patern i used. in 4 hrs i probably caught about 30 fish. i caught one rainbow that was about 17" and a brown that was just as big. i have also been catching alot of brook trout. good luck

lar
04-24-2009, 12:19 PM
John-

Do you ever work? (HA HA) Your either in my shop, fishing the Clinch or posting on the board. When does this leave time for work. I'm jealous! You fishinig tomorrow? I may be out on the Clinch. Give me a shout if you want to meet up.

Kevin

MadisonBoats
04-25-2009, 10:39 AM
i have been up there alot this week and have been fishing nothing but #18 bh phesent tails. i tie mine a little different though. tie a bh phesent tail on a scud hook without the arms and you will kill them. i was there all day yesterday and that was the only patern i used. in 4 hrs i probably caught about 30 fish. i caught one rainbow that was about 17" and a brown that was just as big. i have also been catching alot of brook trout. good luck

Good Tip & Variation!

PeteCz
04-25-2009, 10:56 AM
been fishing nothing but #18 bh phesent tails. i tie mine a little different though. tie a bh phesent tail on a scud hook without the arms and you will kill them

For those folks that don't tie, that is a #18 Quasimodo PT (with clipped wings)
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17407&cat=0&page=1

Its a great pattern in lots of places.

clinchguy
05-01-2009, 03:24 PM
i had a fly very close to the qpt mentioned above and tried it today (5-1) at the church and caught one on the first cast. the bad news is that i tore the fly up getting it unhooked and got no action from other flies.