PDA

View Full Version : Clinch River Sulphur Question

troutslayer3393
04-19-2009, 09:48 AM
I am going to be fishing the clinch in a couple of weeks or so and was wanting to know what size the sulphurs usually are and what pattern would be most effective there.

Thanks, Lee

ChemEAngler
04-19-2009, 04:30 PM
I am going to be fishing the clinch in a couple of weeks or so and was wanting to know what size the sulphurs usually are and what pattern would be most effective there.

Thanks, Lee

Lee,

In my experience the Sulfurs are around a #17. A 16 seems to be too large at times and an 18 is almost too small. I would suggest some Sulfur Thorax patterns and CDC Comparaduns. I prefer to use turkey biot for the body. The Clinch sulfurs colors also seem to vary based on what type is hatching. The earlier hatching E. Invaria appear to be slightly larger and more orange than the E. Dorothea Dorothea.

Below is a pic on one of mine:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=89

This is the pattern I used to catch the brown in my avatar on. However, by far the majority of the fish I catch during the hatch are caught using a #16 FBPT with a touch of Frog's Fanny on the wing case. It causes a little air bubble to form on the wingcase to mimic the wingcase splitting open.

Jswitow
04-19-2009, 06:39 PM
A size 16 or 18 comparadun pale yellow to slightly green. Sparkle duns are often more effective, making it look like a cripple that can't shed it's shuck. 6x tippet, 12-15 leader. I would usually use 12' (5 or 6x) with 3' or 6x added. I'm no master though!
Best,
John

ChemEAngler
04-19-2009, 08:03 PM
A size 16 or 18 comparadun pale yellow to slightly green. Sparkle duns are often more effective, making it look like a cripple that can't shed it's shuck. 6x tippet, 12-15 leader. I would usually use 12' (5 or 6x) with 3' or 6x added. I'm no master though!
Best,
John

Good note John. I second the recommendation for the long 6x leader. These fish tend to be really leader shy during the hatch.

Fishermansfly
04-19-2009, 08:07 PM
So why is I feel like one of a handful of tiers on this board that actually post to fly tying....Especially when your throwing up goods like that! Nice tying!

~Brett

ChemEAngler
04-19-2009, 08:21 PM
So why is I feel like one of a handful of tiers on this board that actually post to fly tying....Especially when your throwing up goods like that! Nice tying!

~Brett

Brett,

Thanks. Coming from you that means something. Most of my ties are just regular patterns, I can't do the creative things you do at the vice. I am really excited about Troutfest though, hopefully we can draw the same shift. I will give you a call in a couple weeks when I get back from SC. I know a couple of nice little shoals that are the first to get the sulfurs that we should hit.

truchin
04-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Travis when are you scheduled to be tying at the flyfest? i'd like to learn to tie sulfurs.
By the way that's a awesome fly!!!
jose

waterwolf
04-19-2009, 10:55 PM
In a couple of weeks if they are coming off yet, and that is a big if. The bigger if is if the water will be off, at this point doubtful.

But if those two are favorable, then a size 16 will work fine, and the hatch will be just starting which means the bright orange ones will be hatching primarily. They lean almost to a 14, but not quite.

Fish comparaduns, cdc comparadun, comparachutes, hair wind duns, or no hackles. DO NOT forget to bring some unweighted PT's in size 16 either, no bead, no lead, just a PT. DO NOT forget that, if you bring only one thing, bring them.

ChemEAngler
04-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Fish comparaduns, cdc comparadun, comparachutes, hair wind duns, or no hackles. DO NOT forget to bring some unweighted PT's in size 16 either, no bead, no lead, just a PT. DO NOT forget that, if you bring only one thing, bring them.

Hey waterwolf,
You ever tried using an unweighted softhackle PT? I have thought about trying that for a while, and may have to this year.

waterwolf
04-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Hey waterwolf,
You ever tried using an unweighted softhackle PT? I have thought about trying that for a while, and may have to this year.
I refuse to fish anything with "soft hackle" in its name or on its body. Just one of my many oddities.

I am sure it will work, I just have had a ton of success using an unweighted PT, tied with a thorax either under an indicator or dropped off a dry. Only when the hatch is in full swing is important.

mciupe
04-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Hello Travis,

My name is Mihai, I am romanian and I live in Florida.
I am trying to find somebody that can give me guiance in the Smoky M. area and is as fanatic about flyfishing as me.
I am looking for a fishing partner when i get t he chance toget up there.
Please let me know if I am too pushy :)
Best regards,

Mihai

Fishermansfly
04-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks Travis, but I'm still new at the whole tying thing..I have much much to learn! As for the softhackles on the Clinch..I've heard several stories of two or three guys who won't throw anything but them on the Clinch in the spring. I'm sure the PT softhackle would be fine, but the fly I'm hearing that works well is a yellow softhackle. Which would make sense. A sulphur cripple caught in the film!

The only, lemme repeat, the only softhackle I've ever had any success with is Hugh's Rockhold. I'm with Waterwolf and refuse to fish um!

~Brett

ChemEAngler
04-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Jose,
Thanks. I don't know yet when I will be tying, but you should come out at any time you have an opportunity. There will be lots of more qualified people there to teach you to tie sulfur patterns including plenty of other members like Flyman, Fishermansfly, and others.

Mihai,
Thanks for the vote of confidence that I may be able to help you in the Smokies. However, the truth is that very little of my fishing is in the mountains, but I need to correct that habit. There are always people on here looking for somebody to meet up with, and I imagine that if you start a thread looking for a fishing partner and the dates you will be here you will get some responses. Keep an eye on this message board and Byron's fishing report for the latest information on what is hatching. Another option is to contact Hugh Hartsell regarding a guided trip. He will set you on the correct path and help you to get acquainted to the area and fishing techniques. His website is below:

http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/

mciupe
04-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Thank you Travis.

Flat Fly n
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
My mayfly dun box on it's best days:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/IMGP0010.jpg

My Suspended (Crippled) pattern
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/BrandtsSuspendedSulphur.jpg

Disclaimer...If these fish catch a large fish on the Clinch, please do not post it. Thanks

PS..Dries are tied with TMC 102Y size 15 and 17