PDA

View Full Version : Brett, Mysis time

ttas67
04-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Brett, if you want to tie CO flies, you gotta have some mysis. here's the pattern I tie for them. this is a #18 on a 200R. extremely effective, but I hate working w/ epoxy. thinking about getting some tuffleye just for this pattern. got any good mysis patterns lurking up your sleeve?

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r159/ttas67/GEDC0556.jpg

Fishermansfly
04-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Yea, and don't waste your money on that kit! Just buy Loons Knot Sense and a cheap L.E.D. light! Same thing or close too..I haven't tried it yet, but got rather ticked seeing the $84 price tag for a syringe and flash light! Try that first! It'll cost you about 5 buckeroo's at LRO, I think, and you can come by the house and get one of my 5 gazillion LED flashlights!

Here are two patterns for you!

This guy's blog is posted on mine..His name is Ullfe Hagstrom..He's amazing...It looks pretty easy to tie. It's just mono for the legs, burnt piece of mono for the eyes, mono for the rib, clear scud back, and a white dubbing. I'd almost test out White ice dub!

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=37858&hl=mysis+shrimp

Here's a great cicada pattern..Billyspey (on LRO forum) has a killer pattern as well!
This guy is from New Zealand and knows all about two things...Crazy (emphasis on CRAZY) and tying for monster trout. Here's his BIONIC CICADA

http://www.stusflyshop.com/proddetail.asp?prod=bioniccicada&cat=88

If you dig around on that site long enough you'll see some really, really good ideas. The man knows his stuff! I'd love to get him as a guide in New Zealand!

Hope that helps!

BTW, American Salmon flies are consistently portrayed in photographs as having their abdomen sticking out at a 45 degree angle from their wing. I don't know if they do it on the water, but it looked cool on the vise!

Cheers,
~Brett

David Knapp
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Trevor, I'd better start tying some...looks like you're way ahead of me in preparation for any potential trips... I think I'll pick up the stuff to do some of those Mysis and also the stuff for the salmonfly pattern...

ttas67
04-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Brett, does the UV knot sense remain pretty solid after being fished for a while? I've used hard head as an epoxy substitute before. it works ok, but after its fished for a while, it starts to go soft. If the knot sense remains solid, I'll definitely try some. how long does it take to set?

I wouldn't buy the whole tuffleye kit anyway. they sell just the syringes, and you can use your own light.

David, you know we'll probably just end up tying on a picnic table again. we could do those mysis with the UV knot sense ... it should set up in the sunlight.

Fishermansfly
04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Trevor, the knot sense should be slightly pliable and should dry clear. It's tough stuff though! I've used it to reseal and strengthen my old sharkskin line after stepping on it with my rock cleats! Held up for a long time! Should be very similar to softex, but should set alot quicker!

~Brett

billyspey
04-22-2009, 09:40 PM
knot sence turns milky exo-flex by waspi is the good stuff if you want a clear alternative to epoxy but stays flex great stuff