PDA

View Full Version : Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon River

Parzival
04-22-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm thinking of getting out there and poking around in the next week or so. From what I gather I can access the river at the Ramsey Cascades Trail. Is that correct? I'm not in the greatest shape but I want to fish it so I am wanting to stay relatively close to the trailhead. I can do a couple of miles without a problem but will that allow me to find decent water to fish on the river?
Also, what condition is the trail?

Thanks...

sammcdonald
04-22-2009, 07:47 PM
i'd try lower down than ramsey...that's on the commonly called greenbrier prong...unless you like boulder hopping

Rog 1
04-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Another option would be Porter's Creek....with the current water you can fish from the fork of the river at the bridge to Ramsey and be by the road for a good ways

joefly
04-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Parzival, thanks for asking the question for those of us who can't hike 5 miles, and thanks for those of you who responded. I'm a newbie, as of last year, love fishing the Smokies and am also looking for relatively easy streams to access. I can do OK...waded for 5 hours up the Middle Prong a few weeks ago when it had lots of water, but sometimes don't want to wade, especially when I take the wife, who has a back problem and can't hike/wade long distances. Any advice from others about easily accesibale streams would be most appreciated! I know the fishing may not be the best there, but catching isn't really the point, right? Well, maybe a few :-)

Thanks

Rog 1
04-23-2009, 02:06 PM
The lower end of the WPLP just above the Park HQ has a trail that follows the river almost to the Chimney's picnic area...the upper end has a lot of bolders and steep climbs...also go above the Chimney Trailhead where the river comes back to the road

Parzival
04-23-2009, 03:35 PM
i'd try lower down than ramsey...that's on the commonly called greenbrier prong...unless you like boulder hopping

Are there places to park along the road right there or am I going to need to park somewhere else and hike to it?

sammcdonald
04-23-2009, 04:13 PM
plenty of pull offs all along the river...the road is never far away from the water

there is a great hole at the first 20 mph sign past the ranger station....and for sight seeing, there is a path to the right by the sign that will take you back to a full standing chimney (to the left before you cross the little stream) or an old cemetery if you follw the path across the stream and up the knoll.