PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Wyoming/Montana

BlueRaiderFan
04-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Any of you guys have any advice on where to fish out west? I've never been except flying to California. I want to take a week and camp and fly fish, but I have to do it on the cheap, so guides and lodges are out. Thanks in advance.

kytroutman
04-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado is a good start. You can also look at the Green River area and the area around Moab, UT if you really want to do the primitive camp.

BlueRaiderFan
04-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Just found a good link to fish Yellowstone...Don't like the idea of hiking a few miles in bear country alone, but looks like I'll have to. Can't find any drive in fishing on Yellowstone yet. I think (after my initial knee jerk post) that I am going to shoot for fishing Yellowstone. I can't wait. If any body wants to go with, just let me know. I'm shooting for the first of second week of May, possibly the third, depending on work.

kytroutman
04-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Watch the weather. You can still get into a snow storm in early May.

BlueRaiderFan
04-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Oof...I'll have to bring my warm gear with me. Hopefully the bears won't be so active.

donwinn
04-24-2009, 08:57 PM
BlueRaiderFan,

Yellowstone is hard to beat. However, outside the park is tough in Wyoming without a guide. Their land rights laws are pretty tough. Montana is much better in that regard. Check out Rock Creek in Montana. It is about 50 miles long and has great fishing. The snow melt may really hinder your fishing in early May.

By the way, I have been snowed on near the 4th of July twice out there - once in West Yellowstone and once in Buffalo, Wyoming. Take really warm clothes.

BlueRaiderFan
04-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info, Don. I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing. I am going to do some internet searches and read a book or two and take the advice I'm getting on here, so hopefully, I will be o.k.

EarlOfSoDak
04-24-2009, 10:43 PM
May I recommend the Black Hills of South Dakota? I lived and guided there for 4 years. You will run into tons of great fishing. You don't have to worry about run-off because it doesn't have the snow pack the larger ranges have. There's tailwaters, spring creeks, freestone streams and lakes with plenty of trout. It is near the Bighorn Mountains, the Wind River Mountains, the Bighorn River, and the North Platte River (tailwaters) as well. You don't have to worry about public access in the Hills, it's all National Forest. Plenty of camping and unpressured fisheries. There's a great shop in Rapid City, Dakota Angler & Outfitter (www.flyfishsd.com (http://www.flyfishsd.com)), talk to a guy named Hans and he'll fill you in. The water's high now because of rain and snow, but should be perfect by that time. Also, the Hills are on I-90, a straight shot to Yellowstone. Let me know if you want some specifics. Please go there, you will not regret it.
Jamie

summertime14
04-24-2009, 10:43 PM
You can't beat Yellowstown. I went backpacking there for a week on my honeymoon last year. It is truly amazing. Slough creek is really nice! We did not have a lot of trouble with bears in the backcountry, just be careful and do things the right way. We did have two black bears come through camp one night, but the bison are more dangerous. Lonely Planet makes a great guide book for Yellowstone and the Tetons. It is worth every penny. National geographic of course has great maps. And they divide the park into four maps, so it has plenty of detail. If you already have camping or backpacking gear, then you will save a ton of money on hotels. The airlines will get you though. If you don't want to backpack, then try the campground at Tower Falls. We spent a day there after being in the backcountry for a while. It is not as big as the others, a lot quieter, nice views, a river a couple hundred yards away, nice people, and more important to us was the running water. We saw a deer, a bison, and two black bears come through the camp ground in one afternoon. The canyon campground look very busy and very large with lots of campers. Good luck! To me, the planning was half the fun.

And yes it gets very cold at night even in summer. We saw snow and the temps dipped in the 20's at night even in late june. But during the day it is amazing!

BlueRaiderFan
04-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Jamie,

Sounds interesting, I will keep it in mind. Summer, thanks. I am trying to talk my wife into going, so enticing her with at least one night with a hot shower may help!

Dwayne

summertime14
04-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, no matter where end up going Yellowstone should be on your life list of places to go. A lot of people visit yellowstone, but only a few actually get off the main roads and go into the back country. The showers at the canyon campground are really nice! Well after five days in the backcountry any shower is nice. Yellowstone is so big if you try to see too much, then you will just be overwhelmed. Try to focus on a few different areas. We are already thinking about another trip in a couple years because we just didn't see enough.

BlueRaiderFan
04-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking Rough Creek for a day or two and one other area for a day or two and then home. There is one campground (I think) that is about a 3 mile hike from the Yellowstone River. Hopefully I won't make this trip and will be back at work soon, but we'll see.

Kytroutbum
04-25-2009, 04:00 PM
When are you going? Yellowstone NP has large sections posted to protect spawning Cutt's until Mid July or June?? (Don't have regs close by). Snow runoff can be a major problem into July in some drainages. Do some extensive research with flyshops before heading out!

Also, center your fishing in one location or area with several options CLOSEBY. I've seen folks spending more time DRIVING from one big name river to another than FISHING. The distances between waters is farther and driving times longer than you might think.

UofMontanaAlum
04-25-2009, 08:29 PM
I'll be on Slough Creek the 12th and 13th of July on my way from Iowa to Great Falls for the "Bill & Scotts Excellent Adventure (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10673)". If you end up in Yellowstone this summer at that time let me know.

Are you flying or driving? You said you're doing this trip "on the cheap" and there is no such thing as a cheap airline ticket to Montana. From TN I was paying between $600-$900 a ticket depending on the time of year. Its alittle cheaper from Iowa but its still about $450-$500 a ticket.

BlueRaiderFan
04-25-2009, 08:48 PM
When are you going? Yellowstone NP has large sections posted to protect spawning Cutt's until Mid July or June?? (Don't have regs close by). Snow runoff can be a major problem into July in some drainages. Do some extensive research with flyshops before heading out!

Also, center your fishing in one location or area with several options CLOSEBY. I've seen folks spending more time DRIVING from one big name river to another than FISHING. The distances between waters is farther and driving times longer than you might think.

Kybum,

Thanks for the advice...God knows I need it! I will call some local shops when I figure out exactly when I'm goin.

BlueRaiderFan
04-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I'll be on Slough Creek the 12th and 13th of July on my way from Iowa to Great Falls for the "Bill & Scotts Excellent Adventure (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10673)". If you end up in Yellowstone this summer at that time let me know.

Are you flying or driving? You said you're doing this trip "on the cheap" and there is no such thing as a cheap airline ticket to Montana. From TN I was paying between $600-$900 a ticket depending on the time of year. Its alittle cheaper from Iowa but its still about $450-$500 a ticket.

UofM,

I'll be driving my wifes Corolla and leaving my manly 4Runner at home! I figure I'll spend about $240 in gas plus fishing permit plus camping fees and food. I figure the whole trip at around $600 unless I bring the wife and then you can double it at least:biggrin:

Kytroutbum
04-25-2009, 11:54 PM
I did Landlocks in Maine instead of Greater Yellowstone last summer. Summer BEFORE LAST gas was $3.70 in Cooke City and $3.17 at the concessionaire in the park. Cody was 2.50 at that time. I'm planning on $5.00 a gallon this year, when I'm budgeting. Golly, hope I'm wrong! We're heading to the Shoshonne Forest/ Beartooth area for the Month of August till snow. Very late July and August are great hopper times in Yellowstone and the Mosquito count is down in the Beartooth High Lakes.
Camping in the park and surrounding close by areas is hard to come by. The main campgrounds are on reservation- reservation.gov.- same as Smokies.I stay at a NFS campground between Cody and Cooke City on the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone. When I made a reservation for my two weeks there, of the 11 sites only 2 were available and it filled by noon! Its one of two NFS in area that take reservations. Camping will be a problem if you don't book ahead. Also some NFS sites close to YNP close due to Grizzly activity frequently. Just because its on a map doesn't mean its open!! YNP rangers watch for illegal camping closely. Park's Fly Shop has a great site with tons of info on YNP. You really need to see their site. Also get as much info and planahead before heading out there. My first timeout there, I spent a week and a half looking at SNOWMELT(:<).

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

BlueRaiderFan
04-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks. I will check into it. As far as gas, we still have every available spare tanker and tank full to the brim. Once the price went up so far, people started hording it. Gas will go up, but not much.

summertime14
04-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Ya, we had problems with snow melt in june. Several backcountry sites we wanted to go to were closed because of fast and flooded rivers, and a couple were closed by bears. But it is such a huge place that you can surely find some place to go. We had no trouble finding a place to do car camping or backcountry camping without reservations, and that was in late june. Getting reservations is probably less of a risk, but when you get there you may find out that you want to be in a different area to fish. My trip was such a learning experience I will do a lot of things differntly next time. I know you'll have a blast.

Kytroutbum
04-26-2009, 08:49 PM
BlueRaiderFan- Shoot me an email at randallsale@ATT.net and I'll forward some info to you.

Rob GRiggs
04-28-2009, 02:58 PM
It snowed here yesterday(Denver). Are you wanting to camp at campgrounds or are you backpacking? I have a friend who lives in casper Wy. and he is killing it up there right now. We are all fishing for HUGE mackinaw trout now. The ice is starting to come off the lakes and the big macks are close in to shore. I caught a 20lbs ,16lbs and a 10lbs last week in Granby. That was in one day! You will need at least a 8wt rod to handle the bigger fish. All of that to say dont forget about the lakes. The pike will be off there spawn in about two weeks. They will be in the reeds and close to the shore. So if you are wanting to come out during run dont forget about the lakes. Rocky Mountain Park is a great place to fish too. Good luck and you never know I might see you out there.

Lindsey
05-02-2009, 09:08 AM
EarlofSoDak, I am leaving for Black Hills 5/7/09 for our annual turkey hunt. I need help of where to fly fish. We are staying in the Deadwood area. Any help will be appreciated. You can e-mail me at: lmonroedmd@hotmail.com. Thanks!!

Kytroutbum
05-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Lindsey- go to Flyanglersonline.com . Pull up FEATURES, then HOMEWATERS. The late Al Campbell one of their contributers wrote a series of articles on locations in the Black Hills. Having a fished some there while heading to Wyoming, I can say he gave great advice.

Randall Sale
The Kytroutbum
The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?---Lee Wulff

BlueRaiderFan
05-02-2009, 08:33 PM
BlueRaiderFan- Shoot me an email at randallsale@ATT.net and I'll forward some info to you.

KY, thanks bro...Went to the Elk in WV instead....lot closer will post about it later.

BlueRaiderFan
05-02-2009, 08:36 PM
It snowed here yesterday(Denver). Are you wanting to camp at campgrounds or are you backpacking? I have a friend who lives in casper Wy. and he is killing it up there right now. We are all fishing for HUGE mackinaw trout now. The ice is starting to come off the lakes and the big macks are close in to shore. I caught a 20lbs ,16lbs and a 10lbs last week in Granby. That was in one day! You will need at least a 8wt rod to handle the bigger fish. All of that to say dont forget about the lakes. The pike will be off there spawn in about two weeks. They will be in the reeds and close to the shore. So if you are wanting to come out during run dont forget about the lakes. Rocky Mountain Park is a great place to fish too. Good luck and you never know I might see you out there.

Rob, went to the Elk in WV instead...Thanks for the help. I hope to get out that way one day.