PDA

View Full Version : Watauga?

Fishermansfly
04-28-2009, 12:18 AM
So has anyone floated or fished it recently? Billyspey was there last Friday driving through and counted 27 trailors at Twin Bridges! Another good guide in the area said that there were 44 boats floating that section one day last week! I'm sorry but that is nuts! That's just about literally floating back to back boats the entire length of that section of the river. There's only a dozen decent "honey/guide" holes in there too. Bet that was one crappy day on the river.

Makes me wonder about TU's advertisement of the river on their new show! I've heard there are alotta NC guides floating that river right now! Wondering why with all of that good mountain stream fishing they'd be rowing bumper boats?

Recent discussions have brought this topic up in the past. Just something else to make you realize the truth behind it all!

~Brett

ttas67
04-28-2009, 01:17 AM
Brett,

I and chad (aka Green Weenie) were up there on Saturday. We went to what I believe is twin bridges and it was a zoo. there was a run we were going to fish below there, but it looked like a ride at dollywood with all the boats. at least 15-20 boat trailers there. I did notice alot of NC tags. fishing was ok. we ended up getting into a nice caddis hatch (not THE caddis hatch, though) and a flurry of sulphurs in the late PM.

I met and spoke with Randy Ratliff for a while. Very nice guy and very helpful. If you read this, Thanks!!!

Randy Ratliff
04-28-2009, 09:33 AM

ACinEastTN
04-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I fish this river very often and it has been crazy lately. I have also seen alot of NC tags. I have noticed that the Trophy section has not been producing as many sizeable fish this year. This is the section that is getting pounded with boats rights now. If fishing there on the weekend and trying to stay away from the crowds, you can always float the upper section by putting in below Wilbur Dam. This section can fish just as good and is much more scenic IMO. It is just that time of year though. Everyone wants to be out on the water in spring. It should slow down some when summer comes. There are also wading opportunities that can get you away from the crowds. Sycamore Shoals, VFW, or riverbend. If anyone would like more info feel free to email christian_aaron11@hotmail.com .

Grumpy
04-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Thank goodness the Caney is running water:cool:

Grumpy

canerod
04-29-2009, 08:12 AM
As long as people are willing to pay there will be someone there to take them.When I moved to the area (WNC) I could not believe the number of "guides".It seems if you have a boat and trailer you are a guide. Dont get me wrong I have met and fished with a couple as friends and if I wanted to have a guide trip(I dont) they are real professionals. Do guides in Tn or NC have to be licensed in any way or take a test to to show they are competent in more than rowing a boat?

Grumpy
04-29-2009, 08:24 AM
As long as people are willing to pay there will be someone there to take them.When I moved to the area (WNC) I could not believe the number of "guides".It seems if you have a boat and trailer you are a guide. Dont get me wrong I have met and fished with a couple as friends and if I wanted to have a guide trip(I dont) they are real professionals. Do guides in Tn or NC have to be licensed in any way or take a test to to show they are competent in more than rowing a boat?

TN, no, there are a bunch of us that would like to see that changed!

Grumpy

ChemEAngler
04-29-2009, 08:45 AM
So has anyone floated or fished it recently? Billyspey was there last Friday driving through and counted 27 trailors at Twin Bridges! Another good guide in the area said that there were 44 boats floating that section one day last week! I'm sorry but that is nuts! That's just about literally floating back to back boats the entire length of that section of the river. There's only a dozen decent "honey/guide" holes in there too. Bet that was one crappy day on the river.

Makes me wonder about TU's advertisement of the river on their new show! I've heard there are alotta NC guides floating that river right now! Wondering why with all of that good mountain stream fishing they'd be rowing bumper boats?

Recent discussions have brought this topic up in the past. Just something else to make you realize the truth behind it all!

~Brett

Brett,
My buddy Scott did that float multiple times last year about this time, and it was the same then. He said they could barely find a place to park, and most plates were from out of state. IMO, if I know I am going to be combat fishing, the Watauga is not one I would consider worth it. Especially when the SoHo is just over the hill.

Rockyraccoon
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
TN, no, there are a bunch of us that would like to see that changed!

Grumpy

Absolutely.

I don't know if licensing would help that situation of 40 boats in one bucket but it sure would help with extra monies for TWRA, and possibly even weed out the "I gotta boat am a guide" crowd. I think a $1000 dollar outta state guide license sounds about right. ;)

I feel pretty fortunate to work the waters I work, as all the other guides (actual full time guides) I share the waters with are all professionals and not fly by nighters. We have a few guide wannabes running around but they tend to fade out quickly. I'd hate to have to deal with 40 boats....I'd go nuts.

canerod
04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
A friend is a guide in Northern NY mostly on the Battenkill. In order to be licensed in NY look up the following on google(I do not know how to add links)
On google look NYS Licensed guide program. On the right hand drop down look at exam content.The first few are general categories for all guides and then farther down it tells about for fishing.It eliminates a lot of the "I have boat and trailer and will travel". You have to know what you are doing and it might be needed here. dave

Randy Ratliff
04-29-2009, 06:57 PM

kytroutman
04-29-2009, 07:28 PM
I have always wondered, what qualifies a person to be a licensed guide in TN and NC. I know from fishing out West, most licensed guides have been through a training course or guide school before being licensed.

Fishermansfly
05-01-2009, 12:53 AM
As far as tailwater guiding is concerned..having a boat and knowing how to row it, is about all it takes. However, as some have mentioned, multi-tasking and putting you clients on fish, teaching (while not catching), and the lesser of all three entertaining is what it takes to be a good guide. Being insured is a definite plus but you'd be amazed at how it isn't required!

GSMNP guiding however is a different ball game. The NPS has a given amt. of guides they'll allow permits too. Everything must be insured, you must pay for the annual permit, as well as stick to certain stipulations and regulations. Past that you would have to ask someone about guiding in the park.

As for the out of state guiding licenses. AMEN!

~Brett

billyspey
05-01-2009, 07:21 AM
the latest twrc meeting in Nashville ,this issue was brought forward, by a commission member from east tn. ,other commissioner was surprised that guiding in tn. was that big.but twra was worried about implementation.

afoshie
05-03-2009, 12:09 AM
I agree to them needing to be have a guide permit. What really ticks me off is that you fish the rivers, and never see a game warden. I keep records of when I fish. Since last october have been on the two rivers 30 times and not once checked for a license. And on the holston with the slot limit it seems like every time I go up there I see people with fish inside the limit on stringers. TWRA needs to start checking rather than riding the roads like you see most of them doing not all but most.

Grumpy
05-03-2009, 07:32 AM
I agree to them needing to be have a guide permit. What really ticks me off is that you fish the rivers, and never see a game warden. I keep records of when I fish. Since last october have been on the two rivers 30 times and not once checked for a license. And on the holston with the slot limit it seems like every time I go up there I see people with fish inside the limit on stringers. TWRA needs to start checking rather than riding the roads like you see most of them doing not all but most.

I can't argue with that, regs don't mean a thing w/o enforcement. There aren't enough officers to begin with & the lack of reresentation brings the worst out in some folks.
An example, take a city that is known for it's "SPEED TRAPS" folks are pretty cautious through tose, every now & then you get someone that dosen't know & they get their butt busted. If we had that kind of fear on the river;)

Grumpy

Grumpy

kentuckytroutbum
05-07-2009, 09:05 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. I wish that the wardens would check our licenses and catches. On the SoHo, we were not checked even once. And with the slot limit, I believe that they should be checking. Unfortunately, there are scum bags out there that don't care about the fish, the river, or limits. The wardens should get these people off of the river.

In other states, I have been checked on a regular basis, and I'm glad for that. Alot of times, I've gotten some good tips from the wardens, on where to go and what flies to use. Plus, I think that it gives them good information that they can take back and use to help manage the fishery. IMHO