PDA

View Full Version : Neversink Caddis

flyman
05-02-2009, 01:10 AM
I have seen the Neversink Caddis mentioned several times in the fishing report. I have also seen the photo from the online store, Looks like a good fly and simple enough to tie. The one thing I'm not sure about is the foam. Is the body tied from a pc of sheet form, or is it a cylinder? Anyone have a recipe they would like to share? Thanks for any help:smile:

D-Drake
05-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Flyman,

The body is just a piece of sheet foam cut into a little rectangle and tied in. It is a very simple little fly that works great. It is easy to see. It floats high. It even holds up well to many, many fish eating it.

Daniel

Gerry Romer
05-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Two options for the foam.

1) tie in the same as you would a stack of elk hair, then add your elk hair wing and hackle to cover the butt end of the foam.

2) tie in backwards with the foam body extending forward over the hook eye, fold back over the tie-in and wrap over the fold to create a small yellow or orange foam head (which you can leave yellow or orange, or color with a marker before attaching your hair wing and hackle).

Either way, I build up a substantial thread body to the hook point and then hit it with a drop of super glue before laying the foam body on. That not only makes it a bit more durable but also helps keep the foam from twisting when you crank down on the elk hair wing. Pretty easy tie. the hardest part for me was finding foam thin enough, the thicker foam ends up looking like a kernel of corn with some hair stuck to it. Hmmmm, that's actually not a bad idea now that I think of it!

Gerry

PeteCz
05-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Flyman, here is a simple recipe for the Foam (Neversink) Caddis (the 2mm closed cell foam works great):
http://www.virtualflybox.com/patterns/pattern.php?id=1048

However, Gerry Romer turned me onto a fly I like a bit better, the Doc's Cork:
http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=80AC&dir_id=1236&group_id=1240&cat_id=5914&subcat_id=7154&feature_id=17

You use a TMC200R so go down a size to either a #16 or #18 and use a thin piece of foam to wrap the hookshank. Then you trim the end of a 2MM strip of foam and tie the foam in to create a small head. It makes for a cleaner fly, IMO.

I tied some to use out west last year in up to 10s and 12s and was amazed at how readily they took fish. I prefer the 16s and 18s in our area tied in Yellow, Brown or Grey...

(I see as I was proofing my spelling that Gerry jumped into the fray! - Option 2 in his post is the Doc's Cork)

ttas67
05-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Daniel, are the ones you sell at LRO tied with just grizzly, or is it grizzly and brown mixed?

David Knapp
05-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Trevor, I'm not sure what the shop patterns use but I tie that with a mix. Generally I prefer to be lazy and just use one color of hackle but this is one of the few patterns where I go to the effort of using two colors. It just looks a lot better in my opinion...

bones
05-03-2009, 07:43 AM
As far as hackle color, if I'm tying to represent yella sallies and lighter caddis I use a light barred ginger. darker caddis either get medium ginger or furnace brown. I also use a Neversink here in Ky on the Cumberland for our Grannom hatch tied with barred dun. I usually don't tie a mix unless (a) I'm tying for a contest or (b) the fish are super picky.

flyman
05-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the ideas:smile: Gerry that doc's cork looks like a winner. It also gave me some ideas for a yellow sally pattern I have been messing with. I have some of that opaque razor foam that is just laying around waiting to be put on a hook:cool: Just need to find some time, guess I could give up sleeping;)