PDA

View Full Version : Here I come!!

MarvintheRookie
05-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Well, not yet but I am down to counting the days, 10 to go!

I would like to put my order in for partly sunny skies, nominal water levels, and hungry, forgiving, fish.
Anyone know what page of the LRO catalog for that??:smile:

Brook Fan
05-05-2009, 10:12 PM
So far the only thing that can be ordered is rain. I though April showers brought May flowers but right now its just brought more rain.

But I guess its just evening out from the last 2 years of no rain.
Don't forget that Troutfest is next weekend as well.

MarvintheRookie
05-05-2009, 10:57 PM
"Don't forget that Troutfest is next weekend as well."

Yep, that's why we always pick those dates. This'll be my 3rd time down.

And I know all about the rain, the Mud River is just short of 8 inches to be over the road I live on.
It has slacked off now, but we are expecting to get blasted again tomorrow, Thurs, and into Friday.

I may have to take the jon boat to work! LOL!!:eek::biggrin:

buckeyetrouter
05-06-2009, 06:48 AM
hey Marvintherookie.....we are heading down for troutfest and the mountains also...would say maybe we'll run into ya, but I'm guessing there are going to be a ton of folks there this year.....do you use the WVANGLER message board at all.....

bob

ps...as far as the weather goes, I ordered clear skies and hungry trout back in november for this trip....now it is up to Byron, Paula & Daniel to fill that order :biggrin: .............

MarvintheRookie
05-06-2009, 09:41 AM
"we are heading down for troutfest and the mountains also..."

Bob, Shawn and I will be staying at Dock's once again, look for the big ugly guy and the shorter good looking guy with beard and ponytail!!:biggrin: Keep an eye out for the black volvo station wagon with KY plates, that'll be us.
(BTW Charlie, if you are reading this, I am looking forward to seeing you two again and winning your rod this year! You know how badly I need a good rod! ;) )

"do you use the WVANGLER message board at all"

Mostly just read it, but I did put in a "plug" for TroutFest a while back.

"now it is up to Byron, Paula & Daniel to fill that order"

LMAO!! Guess we will put LRO "customer service" to a real test this year!! They haven't let me down yet!

I am getting wound up, can you tell?? :cool::biggrin:

FRW
05-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Marv,

I hope your luck turns out better than mine recently. Last Spring wasn't too bad, but I brought my wife down last fall for a week of fishing and the temperature was in the 20's and 30's the whole time and the water level was so low I couldn't recognize my usual fishing spots on the middle prong. It was not a good week, it even snowed one night, the wife did not enjoy herself. So here I am in town for my annual Spring trip and guess what it is raining, a LOT. The rivers are up so high it is dangerous to fish. Byron actual said don't go out today on the fishing report. After being on the middle prong Monday and scoping out the main branch yesterday I think that is good advice. I guess we will see what tomorrow and Friday bring, but based on the weather forecast for the next couple of days I think I will be going home early. I can sit in a room and watch it rain for free at home. My wife has a theory that you need to stay someplace for 2 weeks to be guaranteed 3-4 nice days, she may be right. Last Fall the week after we were here it was in the 70's everyday and last week the fishing was excellent and next week it looks like it is going to be pretty nice, oh well. Anyway at least I caught something Monday it was only one at it was only 5 inches, but I'll take it. Good luck on your trip.

buckeyetrouter
05-06-2009, 04:33 PM
we will be staying at Docks also, this is the first time we've stayed there. We will be in a little white Ford Focus (saving on the gas)

bob

WVBrookie
05-06-2009, 08:57 PM
.....do you use the WVANGLER message board at all.....

.....NA on that board. :biggrin:

Chris

MarvintheRookie
05-06-2009, 10:44 PM
"I hope your luck turns out better than mine recently."

Goodness gracious, you are on a run, huh? Hope it gets better for ya!

"we will be staying at Docks also, this is the first time we've stayed there."

That place is right up my alley, nice folks and cheap! The cabins are nice, rooms are not fancy, but all I am looking for is a bed and a shower, but the river right out back doesn't hurt any!

Since you will be saving all that money on gas, you are buying the drinks, right? LOL!:biggrin:

FRW
05-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Yes the weather has not been too cooperative, but I have been here fishing since Monday and have caught 3 fish so far. For me that is really good. I have had to spend my time up on the MP dodging kayakers and photographers, but as long as I'm catching something it's all good. Caught two on wet flies (Lt Cahill wet and a March Brown wet) and another on a BWO, I have noticed the hatch really picks up around 6:30 or 7 and the fish get crazy after 7:30. Last night I finally got off the water around 8:30 when it got too dark for my old eyes to tie on new flies. The fish were really feeding big time where I was at, but they weren't interested in what I was offering. Today looks to be a much nicer day, maybe the best of the week.

MarvintheRookie
05-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Excellent!! :smile:

Worrgamesguy
05-07-2009, 11:15 PM
West Virginia :redface: <3 (tilt your head to the right for all you old fogies)

Why on earth would you drive down here when you're hours away from the Cranberry Backcountry? That's a sin.

MarvintheRookie
05-08-2009, 08:54 AM
It's a "buddy" trip.

My longtime old bud O mine and I maybe get to see one another 3 times a year now-a-days. This is one of them.

He really likes Townsend, GSMNP, TroutFest, LRO, the folks we know and meet down there, and I certainly have no problem with it all. So that's where we go.

FRW
05-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Weather not withstanding this is turning into a very nice week. I just caught two more yesterday on a BWO. The first one was pretty small, but the second one was a chubby 10 incher. A fish that size puts up a pretty good fight on a 4wt line. One more day to go, hope it doesn't rain all day. It rained earlier today, but has cleared up nicely. I have never caught a fish everyday I have been here, this will be a new record if I can land one today.

MarvintheRookie
05-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Mmmm,,,, Clouds and silver linings?? ;):smile:

MarvintheRookie
05-14-2009, 01:22 PM
The Jeep is packed and I will be pulling out for my Buddy's place in KY in about two hours.

With any luck, should be in Townsend 11 or 12 Fri.

Ya'all be careful driving!

MarvintheRookie
05-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Sorry I missed most of ya, but I had a great time.

Wish I could say I had a great time AND slayed the fish, but 1 bow and 2 brookies was the meager count. Mostly my fault. Had my fair share of rises and more than a few hook ups, but my timing was off and my luck did not carry me.

Can I blame my new rod?:biggrin::biggrin:

nvr2L8
05-18-2009, 06:02 AM
Marvin,

Glad to have had you in our mountains for a while. Did you get caught in some of the really high water? Some scary stuff there!

Hurry back and slay some more!

MarvintheRookie
05-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Was up by Chimney Tops on Saturday but we got out of the water bout 6-6:30 before the hard rain started.

From what I hear, and what we saw, that was a good thing!

How did you fare?

FRW
05-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Well it's been a little over a week since I got back home to Indianapolis. The trip turned out to be a good one. Friday using a yellow neversink cadis and a yellow sally I managed to catch 4 more fish. Two were pretty small, but two of them were in that 8-10 inch range. My last cast of the day hooked me up with something big. It put up a good fight until my 6X tippet snapped. I don't know how big a fish it takes to snap 6X tippet, bit it was a fish big enough to put a huge flex in a 4 wt bamboo rod.

I'll be back in October I hope that trip is as much fun and as successful as this one.

nvr2L8
05-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Marvin,

I fared pretty well up on WPLP on Friday with a dozen caught (3 brookies, 9 bows). It rained some while I was on the water but not enough to affect the water level. Glad you got out when you did.