PDA

View Full Version : So, the water is up...

MarvintheRookie
05-09-2009, 11:10 PM
My only experience with the Park is in drought conditions. Barring more rain, how long should it take for the water to straighten up?

Should I bring my Jon Boat?? :biggrin:

nvr2L8
05-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Marvin,

The bulk of the rain event seems to be over. By this weekend, it should be in pretty good shape. Come on down! (I sure hope it's down - it will be my first chance to get out on the streams this month and I'm dying!:eek:)

Kytroutbum
05-10-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm heading down Sunday afternoon for a week. I've been tying to replenish my dries. I lost a lot of nymphs when fishing in April with no action on top. After the rain the past week, I've tied up a couple dozen stonefly nymphs with two tungsten beads (if I'm going to the darkside, I might as well go all the way(:>)). I'm going to dredge the bottom for a couple nice browns!

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

flyman
05-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Good idea KB, it's time for those big black stone flies aka salmon flies to start hatching. When the water is up like this, it's a good time to catch some bigi fish:cool:

Speckleman5
05-10-2009, 11:01 AM
It is up too. After riding down and picking up some Maxima and some neoprene booties yesterday, me and a friend drove to Tremont and opted to not drown. I did manage to see quite a few crazies kayaking. I think they are a wee bit crazier than I. We decided to drive on to Cades Cove and proceeded to see 6 bears. Definately was not something I wanted to see prior to a 2 week backpaking trip. We finished the trip off by running a sow and 2 cubs out of the road on our way to Clingmans Dome. They were definitely active. The next week looks like it will be accomodating for all of us though.

MarvintheRookie
05-10-2009, 08:26 PM
"Come on down!"

Barring some disaster,,, I will be there, high water or not!

If it is still up, it will be a good excuse to pop my cherry on nymphs. I own a few, but have yet to toss one.

My Mentor started me on drys, and even with those, I have a bad habit of sticking with the one I pick first.