View Full Version : So, the water is up...

05-09-2009, 11:10 PM
My only experience with the Park is in drought conditions. Barring more rain, how long should it take for the water to straighten up?

Should I bring my Jon Boat?? :biggrin:

05-09-2009, 11:21 PM

The bulk of the rain event seems to be over. By this weekend, it should be in pretty good shape. Come on down! (I sure hope it's down - it will be my first chance to get out on the streams this month and I'm dying!:eek:)

05-10-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm heading down Sunday afternoon for a week. I've been tying to replenish my dries. I lost a lot of nymphs when fishing in April with no action on top. After the rain the past week, I've tied up a couple dozen stonefly nymphs with two tungsten beads (if I'm going to the darkside, I might as well go all the way(:>)). I'm going to dredge the bottom for a couple nice browns!

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

05-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Good idea KB, it's time for those big black stone flies aka salmon flies to start hatching. When the water is up like this, it's a good time to catch some bigi fish:cool:

05-10-2009, 11:01 AM
It is up too. After riding down and picking up some Maxima and some neoprene booties yesterday, me and a friend drove to Tremont and opted to not drown. I did manage to see quite a few crazies kayaking. I think they are a wee bit crazier than I. We decided to drive on to Cades Cove and proceeded to see 6 bears. Definately was not something I wanted to see prior to a 2 week backpaking trip. We finished the trip off by running a sow and 2 cubs out of the road on our way to Clingmans Dome. They were definitely active. The next week looks like it will be accomodating for all of us though.

05-10-2009, 08:26 PM
"Come on down!"

Barring some disaster,,, I will be there, high water or not!

If it is still up, it will be a good excuse to pop my cherry on nymphs. I own a few, but have yet to toss one.

My Mentor started me on drys, and even with those, I have a bad habit of sticking with the one I pick first.