PDA

View Full Version : Hellgrammite?

cubefisher
05-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Hey:

I live in Middle TN and have a bunch of hellgrammite's I bought to go after smallies in surrounding streams. I'm headed to the park in a few days for some fishing on the NC side, and I'm curious if that'd be a decent pattern to throw in high water conditions.

I don't even know if those things exist over there, so if anyone has any knowledge that can save the from spending a couple of hours with something useless on my tippet, I'd love to hear about it.

Anyone have any experience in the park with them? Mine are black with a little red, and I think they're on like a #10 or 12 hook. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

CF

scflyfisher
05-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Absolutely. They are worth throwing. I probably fish them some almost every time I hit a stream in Western N.C. or Eastern T.N. I usually use them in the deepest water I find with lots of split shot to get them on the bottom. One of my favorite flies.

Matt

Troutman
05-11-2009, 11:17 PM
The rivers are full of hellgrammites. brown trout and bronze backs love em!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/TROUT2009041.jpg

kentuckytroutbum
05-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Smallies will take them also. Fish them deep in moving water, in the evening, and hang on.

Grampus
05-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Have used them for years!!! Best time seems to be in July...go figure, but they bring up good sized 'bows and huge browns! We always called 'em grampuses. (ie the name)