PDA

View Full Version : East Tennesseans

BlueRaiderFan
05-11-2009, 05:02 PM
I just want to say that if you are lucky enough to live in East Tennessee or West North Carolina, I envy you. They are generating so much on the rivers in Middle Tennessee that I am going to have to resort to lake and stream fishing.:eek:

Troutman
05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=BlueRaiderFan;66854 They are generating so much on the rivers in Middle Tennessee that I am going to have to resort to lake and stream fishing.:eek:[/QUOTE]

You make that sound like a bad thing. Its good to get out of your comfort zone, try some new places that require a different technique. It helps you grow as a fly fishermen and you might find that you enjoy it! Trout aren't the only fish that will take a fly.

jeffnles1
05-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Blue,
I caught 50 Crappie one evening and 30 the next evening at a local Northern Kentucky lake with my trusty 3wt fly rod.

Bluegill are also too much fun on the fly.

Jeff

Carolina Boy
05-12-2009, 01:01 PM
darn right they are, I slay em on a local lake here in WNC Love it!

BlueRaiderFan
05-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah, as long as I'm fly fishing, I don't really care what I'm catching. I just don't know how to find em on a lake!:redface: I love crappie...best tasting fish ever. I haven't caught a bass since I was a kid...Hmmm...I may have to go today.

jeffnles1
05-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah, as long as I'm fly fishing, I don't really care what I'm catching. I just don't know how to find em on a lake!:redface: I love crappie...best tasting fish ever. I haven't caught a bass since I was a kid...Hmmm...I may have to go today.

Blue - Now you're talking!

Finding bluegill on a lake this time of year is pretty easy. Cast a popper along the shoreline during the last couple hours of daylight and hold on.

Jeff

BlueRaiderFan
05-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Well, I have to admit...THAT WAS FUN! Caught several blue gill. Two were around hand size. I only stayed about two hours, but I'm going back tomorrow. Caught this little long ear on the first cast:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2009/Picture007.jpg

Flyfishjeep
05-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Great colors on that fish. Great Pic!!!!

Bran
05-13-2009, 03:19 PM
NICE!!!! Keep em coming!

BlueRaiderFan
05-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Caught this sweet little Smallie today (at least I think he was a smallie)...Went to deeper water.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2009/PriestSmallie1.jpg

Carolina Boy
05-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Nice fish bruddah! Notice the TFO rod is that the pro series, I got a bunch of em and love em, Man we talk warm water species and boom you go out and wear em out 2 straight days, well done sir! You going to Troutfest? Like to meet ya.

BlueRaiderFan
05-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Carolina, Yep it's the Pro Series. First good rod I've had (haven't been fly fishing long, especially compared to some guys on this board...I basically learned how to from the guys on this board). Can't make it to Troutfest. I'm coming up on Memorial Day weekend (I do most years), so I'm trying to conserve funds. Would love to though. I would love to meet some of the guests. If you ever need a "guide" to Middle Tennessee fly fishing, let me know. I even know a couple secret spots (pays to keep in touch with your vertebrate zoology professor from college :biggrin:).

Carolina Boy
05-13-2009, 11:54 PM
I hear ya man. Listen i have been flyfishing forever and I tell ya the TFO pro series rods are all ya need. At least in fresh water. Man I would really love to come out there and hit the Caney fork with ya my girlfiend lives in knoxville and i go there most wekends so i can totally get with you sometime on a Saturday sometime if ya want to. Hope you have good luck on Memorial day! I will be in Jacksonville Fla buying a new flats boat! can't wait but would really like to get up and fish middle TN, never have!

bigpopper
05-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Blue,
Great catches man! Now you are getting into my area of fly fishing, you are going to get hooked on the still water fish now, just another reason to get out and wet the lines!
It's a Largemouth bass,you can tell by the way the upper lip/jaw bone extends past the eye, and no vertical bars present on side. See pic below.
http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s358/lawjm28/PriestSmallie1.jpg

Hope this helps BRF. Keep slayin' 'em!

buzzmcmanus
05-15-2009, 07:44 AM
BlueRaiderFan,

Nice fish. Watch out, warm water fishing can get addicting. bigpopper is right about it being a largemaouth. Here's a link to TWRA's sight that helps identify the different bass.
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/FishFacts/blackbass_id.html

BlueRaiderFan
05-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys. I thought it might me a large mouth because his mouth was so big, but I wasn't certain. It was fun, but honestly, the two bass that I caught had less in terms of fight compared to most trout. I guess all of that riffle swimming pays off in muscle. It is something I will do when I don't want to go far, or when the river is up too high.

Jswitow
05-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love trout fishing. Hook a smallmouth with the flyrod and it will like change your mind about the fighting abilities! Smallmouth are back-alley brawlers, if they had teeth........ I wouldn't get in the water! O'k, that may be spreading it on a little thick.
Best,
John

JimmyC
05-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Dwayne, crappie are pretty good ... but the best tasting fish, hands down, is a lake trout. Mmmmm, mmmm!

BlueRaiderFan
05-15-2009, 04:44 PM
John, I agree...Lot's of fun so far.

James, you are WRONG!:biggrin:

MaryvilleJim
05-15-2009, 04:59 PM
We have a group down here that fly fishes from kayaks for stripers. I have not yet joined the craze but to catch a 20 - 40 lb striper on a fly from a kayak??? Are you KIDDING me! It's gotta be way too cool. Nantucket sleighride on Lake Allatoona.

BlueRaiderFan
05-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Jim,

Just when you think you've heard it all...:biggrin: