PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in the rain??

MarvintheRookie
05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
OK, it's looking like someone down there is doing the rain dance,,,, so,,,

Any expert advise for depleting the population in a downpour??

(Just a turn of phrase, I CPR) :smile:

nvr2L8
05-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Marvin,

I have done some of my most fun fishing in the rain. As long as there's not lightening and too much wind, it's like being one with the fish - everybody gets wet. I've fished in a downpour when I couldn't see my fly; all I could do was follow my leader as it floated down. The really nice thing is that stealth becomes less of a necessity because of all the surface splashing. But, believe me, they can still see a dry on the surface.

Water levels are getting back to normal and if the forecasts hold (30% chance of rain Thurs and 40% Fri according to the Weather Channel), things should be just fine.

And if I sound like I'm trying to convince myself that things will be good by Friday, it's probably because I'm getting out there rain or shine. :biggrin:

On a serious note, if you're in one of the more trough-like streams like WPLP or Road Prong, watch for quickly rising water if a hard rain comes. It can sneak up on you in a hurry. Always have an exit strategy.

And if you see a blue Exterra with NVR2L8 in big white letters on the back window and a TN TU plate, stop and say "Howdy!".

Carolina Boy
05-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I hear ya bro...my motto is anywhere...any time...any weather! Why the heck would i have rain gear if i wuz scared of gettin wet! Hope to see you at trout fest, will look for the Xtera, I am in a Mitsu Silver SUV with Blue surf racks..now for da fishing kayak

Rog 1
05-14-2009, 08:37 AM
One of the best days I can remember fishing up above Elkmont was a day that was so dark and rainy that I could hardly see to tie on a fly....gave up on the dry fly option and fished a leadwing coachman wet fly....was catching a fish almost every cast.....didn't even notice I was getting wet.

MarvintheRookie
05-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks, I will be looking for you all.

I hear tell the KY Volvo is acting up, so we may be in a dark blue 95 Jeep Cherokee with WV plates. One or the other.