PDA

View Full Version : Looks like guns will be allowed in national parks

mtnman2888
05-19-2009, 07:45 PM
According to an article i saw, it looks like a new law will be passed that will allow guns in national parks.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30832809

Interestingly enough, it seems that this law is included in the new legislation that is getting all the press about imposing limits on credit card companies. Thought y'all would like to read this.

silvercreek
05-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I've gotten dizzy watching this issue bounce back and forth. It would be interesting to see a democratically controlled congress pass this. I am in favor of it. We'll see.

mtnman2888
05-19-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm like you, this is very interesting coming from the current political landscape. I think the fact that it is in with the other piece of legislation is giving this issue legs as i don't see this passing standing on its own.

SHRGuide
05-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Thank God they are not throwing this bill out! I had lost track of it just before Bush left office and was worried about it when the Libs took over. I guide in Jackson Hole while on a break for school and do quite a bit of fishing in Yellowstone and surrounding NPs. Last year had a run in with a Griz. Didn't have to use it, but all I had was pepper spray. Now I will have a 44mag just in cas Mr. Griz decides to get too close.

Flat Fly n
05-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Even IF you have gone through all the hassle to legally carry a concealed weapon, fingerprinted, paid over $200, sat in a classroom for over 8 hours (therefore giving up a day of your life), and had your name plastered all over the Memphis newspaper website...............

when was the last time you had your licensed checked, let alone your vest checked for contents?

I am more concerned with the alcohol, drugs, and criminal individuals that are allowed inside our national parks than some cocked and locked semiautomatic handgun in the hands of someone that is qualified to carry that weapon.

silvercreek
05-20-2009, 05:47 PM
I haven't seen the bill, but the old regs were confusing. It looked like you could carry in a national park, but not in a national forest. I hope it is both ways.

BamaBum
05-20-2009, 10:10 PM
The vote was today, it passed, Pres. should sign it soon. Check the link above for the story....

silvercreek
05-21-2009, 10:01 AM
I've spent most of the morning researching this. Although the bill references the lands contolled by the US wildlife, the bill states that guns will be allowd on lands controlled by the National Park Service and wildlife refuges. A check of the National Park Service show the GSMN and Big South Fork as the "Parks in TN. Wildlife refues shows mostly wetland in west TN, but not the Cherokee National Forest. So It appears you can carry in the Smokys, but not Cherokee. I would sugest anyone thinking about carrrying in Cherokee get clarification before doing so.

mora521
05-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Flat fly n,about 3 weeks ago on the Middle Prong of the Little river I was checked by 2 rangers,I had a daypack on and the 2 rangers rifled through my pack and they kept asking what kind of bait I was using.The reason they gave for looking in my pack was to see if I had any trout in there.I had a 4 inch Mora sheath knife on the hip belt of my pack and they kept asking if I had any more "weapons" on me.I told them I had a pocket knife,a Spyderco Caly 3 with a 3 inch blade.It was also called a weapon by the 2 rangers who had on little street shoes instead of boots on their feet.They had me lay the knife on the ground and sit down away from it while they continued to molest the contents of my pack.My rod was broken down and was leaning against a tree,when they finally left I went to get my rod and noticed the tip was lying on the ground.The next day I pulled the rod out to wipe it down and noticed the tip section was crushed.I do not know if I had stepped on it or they had,but my 20 year old Sage 4711LL was ruined.I took it in to LRO and Paula sent it to Sage to see if it could be repaired but they said they could not make a new tip and offered to send me a new rod for 125 dollars.I could not get the new rod without giving them the old one,too many memories in that rod so I turned the offer down:frown: Those two idiots turned a wonderful day into a day that will haunt me for years to come.I will never be searched by their ilk again.

Flat Fly n
05-21-2009, 11:14 AM
No attorney here, but that seems a clear violation of search and seizure without "probable cause" that is written in the Constitution. Believe I would be giving the park office a call and mentioning the name of my attorney for replacement of your rod and your rights.

Dancing Bear
05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
with this is stupid people that won't hesitate to whip out their pistol and shoot at a bear if the fell "threatened". It doesn't matter if they know how to use it or not. My question is do they know when to use it. It's not a petting zoo as some people apparently think. It's going to happen.The park is supposed to be a sanctuary for the animals as well as people. At least that's what I thought. Some folks should stick with Dollywood or Disneyworld.

Flat Fly n
05-21-2009, 11:49 AM
More bears are killed by "stupid people" in the park every year by feeding them garbage, throwing out food along Cades Cove, letting their cars leak out antifreeze along the road and the bears injesting that(apparently we lost a red wolf to that years ago), driving too fast in the park and hitting one along the road, and not properly hanging your food while your camping. Not to mention the hoards of "stupid people" that get out of their cars to take a picture of momma bear and her cubs, then she gets aggressive with the tourist.....

My handgun is not for bears. I held one off once before at a picnic shelter that came in during a fish fry, until we could get all the food and folks out of there. Interesting time indeed. Probably 99.9% of bears are more scared of you.

tire guy
05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
My handgun is also not for bears, but for "stupid people". And you will never know if and when I am carrying it. That is the way it should be. Mine is for protection of others and myself, not property or point of view, those things are protected in other ways. Either way I plan on fishing in the mountains , so say hello ask me what fly I am using and lets enjoy the park together.

Flat Fly n
05-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Well said Tire Man.

silvercreek
05-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Attacks are rare, but the injured folks of the 6 year old killed by a bear at the Chilhowee Recreationa area might have a different point of view. Personally, I'm more concerned about two legged animals. I carry for the same reason I wear a seat belt. I'll probably not need it, but you never know.

Flat Fly n
05-21-2009, 02:35 PM
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0808/p03s01-ussc.html

Crime is up everywhere. Not just the national parks but state parks, national wildlife sanctuaries, and at home. If you think you can be protected everywhere by calling 911 (national dial-a-prayer), well then your just as fooled as a rainbow trout to one of my flies.

Dancing Bear
05-22-2009, 11:56 AM
if I offended anyone. It was not my intent. I wasn't referring to the responsible folks on this board or most of the folks I've met on the water or in the backcountry. I realize that wildlife is endangered by all the irresponsible things done in and outside the parks by irresponsible people. I just think that it adds another means by which those same irresponsible ones can endanger all of us. My wife has a carry permit and I'm sure that she'll be packin' when we head out. We've just seen a lot of people in the frontcountry that seem to check their common sense at the park boundary. Also, I had worked the night before I posted and hadn't slept much. I guess I was a little edgy.

silvercreek
05-22-2009, 03:11 PM
No offfence taken. You have a legitimate concern I just lean toward concern for personal protection. I hadn't noticed your member ID. Just taking up for your buddies?:p

sammcdonald
05-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Acting Director Dan Wenk issued the following statement to the field on the afternoon of Friday, May 22nd, regarding the firearms legislation passed by Congress:

“The National Park Service will follow Congress’s directive and implement the new firearms law, which states that its provisions will take effect nine months from today. For the time being, the current Reagan Administration regulations governing possession of firearms in national parks remain in place. Under the current regulation, firearms are generally prohibited, but citizens may transport unloaded and dismantled or cased firearms and carry firearms while participating in approved hunting programs and under certain other circumstances.

“As Interior prepares to implement the new law, the Department will work to understand and interpret its implications for our national parks, with public safety and the safety of our employees as our foremost consideration. Because possession of loaded weapons on national park lands will be governed by varying state firearms laws once the new law is implemented, the Department will provide guidance to the more than 20,000 professionals who manage our parks and the more than 275 million people who visit our parks each year.”

SHRGuide
05-22-2009, 09:05 PM
You fella's here in the east don't have to worry about Mr. Griz! So with all this talk about bears being shot where are the stats? Love how you guys like blowing smoke. How to know when to shoot your gun? I will tell you, when Mr. Griz starts charging at you!!!!! This should always be a last resort or course. Bears are one of God's gifts and are beautiful creatures! In the same sense they should be viewed with caution. I will feel alot safer with the 44mag on my hip just in case! You old guys should bring your martin reels and fiberglass rods and come visit me in big sky country.

jeffnles1
05-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Flat fly n,about 3 weeks ago on the Middle Prong of the Little river I was checked by 2 rangers,I had a daypack on and the 2 rangers rifled through my pack and they kept asking what kind of bait I was using.The reason they gave for looking in my pack was to see if I had any trout in there.I had a 4 inch Mora sheath knife on the hip belt of my pack and they kept asking if I had any more "weapons" on me.I told them I had a pocket knife,a Spyderco Caly 3 with a 3 inch blade.It was also called a weapon by the 2 rangers who had on little street shoes instead of boots on their feet.They had me lay the knife on the ground and sit down away from it while they continued to molest the contents of my pack.My rod was broken down and was leaning against a tree,when they finally left I went to get my rod and noticed the tip was lying on the ground.The next day I pulled the rod out to wipe it down and noticed the tip section was crushed.I do not know if I had stepped on it or they had,but my 20 year old Sage 4711LL was ruined.I took it in to LRO and Paula sent it to Sage to see if it could be repaired but they said they could not make a new tip and offered to send me a new rod for 125 dollars.I could not get the new rod without giving them the old one,too many memories in that rod so I turned the offer down:frown: Those two idiots turned a wonderful day into a day that will haunt me for years to come.I will never be searched by their ilk again.

Unfortunately, some in law enforcement allow the power to go to their heads and get the John Wayne syndrom. They tend to forget that in the United States of America, one is still considered innocent until proven guilty (at least for now).

Nothing wrong with them doing their job and in fact, I'm glad they're there but there's no excuse for a ranger or police officer to be rude to a citizen who is breaking no laws.

Sorry about the rod.

As for guns in the park, if this law ever goes into place (remember, Congress passed it as an attachment to another bill, they can just as easily tack on a repeal of this on a future bill), I will exercise my rights (and my Concealed Carry Permit) and carry a firearm where legally allowed to do so. Like so many othere, I'm not worried about bears. It's the 2 legged predators I'm worried about.

However, I'm not holding my breath of this ever actually going into effect. A lot can happen in the next 9 months and I'm sure some anti-gun group already has an army of lawyers planning a strategy.

Jeff

Crockett
05-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah you eastern boys sure do blow a lot of smoke bout bears and such... oh wait I am from here so never mind... LOL...

Grannyknot
05-25-2009, 08:46 AM
We aren't worthy of your presence here. Forgive us.

You fella's here in the east don't have to worry about Mr. Griz! So with all this talk about bears being shot where are the stats? Love how you guys like blowing smoke. How to know when to shoot your gun? I will tell you, when Mr. Griz starts charging at you!!!!! This should always be a last resort or course. Bears are one of God's gifts and are beautiful creatures! In the same sense they should be viewed with caution. I will feel alot safer with the 44mag on my hip just in case! You old guys should bring your martin reels and fiberglass rods and come visit me in big sky country.

MaryvilleJim
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
SHRGuide, are your SURE your not a Texan?

As for me I have a permit to carry and would do so even if I did not. I carry when I go out - period. Of course I am over 50 and like to think i am not a complete idiot........

SHRGuide
05-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Guys, I didn't mean to offend anyone. To tell you the truth I don't know how I feel about guns being carried in the eastern NP's, but the west is a different story. This is simply after having an encounter with a griz. You guys are right though about the wrong people being able to carry guns in the park being a little scary. Especially when some "Ricky" with his new p-shooter and a half case of natural ice meets you on the trail.