PDA

View Full Version : Recommend guide for GSMNP fishing?

Dawgvet
05-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Looking to brush up on finer points of mountain flyfishing and very much appreciate any recommendations for a guide. I am an average flyfisher so the basics are covered but want to take it up a notch or two.
Thanks,
Jed

kytroutman
05-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Not to alienate others, but I would highly recommend Timmy Doyle, especially if you are interested in learning the finesse techniques of fishing in the Smokies.

mtnman2888
05-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Not personally knowing Mr. Doyle, I would recommend Mr. Hugh Hartsell. Hugh is an excellent angler and can really help you learn some things that WILL help you catch more fish. Not to mention he is an excellent all around person and as friendly as anyone. I believe many others on this board would echo my sediments.

He frequents this board, but check out his website: www.smokymountainflyguide.com

GrouseMan77
05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
I have never met Mr. Hartsell but he was kind enough to answer a few questions via email.

I have also heard good things about Tim Doyle.

lee0070
05-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Hugh Hartsell

Art Vandalay
05-23-2009, 01:39 PM
I agree Hugh is the best on the TN side, but Steve Claxton would be my choice for the NC side.

bugg
05-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Roger Lowe would be an option also.

Jswitow
05-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Check out randrflyfishing.com. Ian Rutter, his wife Charity and Tim Doyle as well. They are excellent, very knowledgeable and entertaining. Wonderful site as well.
Hope you enjoy your trip,
John

5 WT
05-30-2009, 03:03 PM
If I were going to pay for a guide in the GSMNP I would have to go with Ian Rutter. I have read several of his books. I have also seen him several times on the water, actually spoke with him last summer and he seemed like a very nice guy. Check him out a www.randr.com (http://www.randr.com)

5 WT
05-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Sorry, That is randrflyfishing.com

tire guy
06-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Yesterday I had the pleasure of taking Hugh Hartsell's Advanced Nymphing class. It is a one on one day on the water learning about how, why, and where of fly fishing. Since my experience has mostly been on tailwaters it was an eye opening experience. Hugh gave me exactly what I wanted and then some, and now I am confident with a little practice I may become a very damgerous fish catching machine. Hugh I had a day that will not be forgotten and look forward to a follow up session and another peach.
Your friend

Hugh Hartsell
06-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Brian,
It is always a great pleasure to take clients like yourself out and see them start from scratch, and progress, as the day moves along. You realize as time passes through the day that the person is learning about casting properly, mending when necessary,reading water correctly, how to detect strikes, how to play and land fish, and many other esssential things that make a productive and enjoyable day on the stream. It was great working with you and I hope that you are back on the stream real soon putting those new skills to work.
By the way, the next variety of peaches are getting ripe. We won't tell anyone about that pecan pie and vanilla ice cream or the blackberry cobbler and ice cream. Big grin here.
Hugh