PDA

View Full Version : Next fly line purchase?

Worrgamesguy
05-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I've been fishing the Orvis Easy Mend line that I bought from Cumberland Transit, and it has been the best line I've ever cast. I love the steel braided loop, but it has started to tear where the steel loop starts.

I've put some super glue on it, should I use one of the heat shrink tubes for added strength and longer use? Or should I just cut it off and use the SA Reconnect leader? I could spool this fly line that is tearing onto my backup Martin reel, since it is still a good line, and put my new line on my Orvis reel.

But my next fly line purchase is not far off. I really need a fly line that has the braided loop at the end, it makes life so much easier on me. Price really makes no difference to me, I have no problem paying $60+ again if it gets me the kind of performance I've been seeing from the Orvis.

David Knapp
05-24-2009, 07:31 PM
I would just cut the existing loop off and have a fly shop put a mono loop on the end for you. If it is put on with a good nail knot, it should be just fine...

BlueRaiderFan
05-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Thats what I do and it works great.

Worrgamesguy
05-25-2009, 05:22 PM
I would just cut the existing loop off and have a fly shop put a mono loop on the end for you. If it is put on with a good nail knot, it should be just fine...

How strong is that? I know mono is strong, but is it toad brown trout strong? I use Orvis SS leaders because they have a loop as well and it attaches in less than a minute, I love it. So basically I couldn't live without the loop.

Thats what I do and it works great.

Really? Could CT do this?

BlueRaiderFan
05-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Sure, CT could do it...That knot is easy for Grumpy, Dleo, et al. I have tied it a few times and it's not that bad. You should get a knot reference card and just tie it yourself. I used 20lb mono. I highly doubt that it breaks anytime soon. Besides, your old enough now to start tying your own knots. ;)

silvercreek
05-25-2009, 07:34 PM
I like the loop myself, and have them on all my lines, but before the loop, mono was the thing and it worked fine. I use to use it, and never had any problem with it. Just not as handy.

Worrgamesguy
05-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Sure, CT could do it...That knot is easy for Grumpy, Dleo, et al. I have tied it a few times and it's not that bad. You should get a knot reference card and just tie it yourself. I used 20lb mono. I highly doubt that it breaks anytime soon. Besides, your old enough now to start tying your own knots. ;)

Haha I'm at a point where I don't like any blame to come back on me. So if someone else tied the knot, and a fish broke it off, I'd blame them :biggrin:

I like the loop myself, and have them on all my lines, but before the loop, mono was the thing and it worked fine. I use to use it, and never had any problem with it. Just not as handy.

My thoughts exactly.

ttas67
05-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Having the loop already built into the line is relatively new. The mono loop works well, and as long as it's properly tied, you'll snap your tippet or your rod before it fails you.

Grumpy
05-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Trey

Go to Killroys.com & look for a nail knot & Perfection loop, that's the two knot's being spoken of here.
Or, bring it by & we'll rig ya, so you can blame someone else;) This setup ought to be changed a few times a year if fished heavily, for peace of mind if nothing else.
I don't think the welded loops will be as strong as we would like them to be from the factory, it's a weak point when you think about it, that's why the Amnesia or mono should be changed regularly.

Grumpy

Worrgamesguy
05-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Having the loop already built into the line is relatively new. The mono loop works well, and as long as it's properly tied, you'll snap your tippet or your rod before it fails you.

Well that's great :rolleyes: $60 fly line or $150 rod :p

But I'd like to see an example of the mono loop, it seems like it would be large and awkward to fish.

Trey

Go to Killroys.com & look for a nail knot & Perfection loop, that's the two knot's being spoken of here.
Or, bring it by & we'll rig ya, so you can blame someone else;) This setup ought to be changed a few times a year if fished heavily, for peace of mind if nothing else.
I don't think the welded loops will be as strong as we would like them to be from the factory, it's a weak point when you think about it, that's why the Amnesia or mono should be changed regularly.

Grumpy

Thanks for the reference. I'll be sure to check that out. I thought it was strange that the line is already wearing when I bought it in October. I know a lot of it is from me trying to teach family and friends how to cast, and it accidentally lands on the driveway.

But I may have some extra money soon, what rod would you recommend over my TFO Pro? Preferably sub-$500, ~$300ish would be great.

silvercreek
05-26-2009, 08:15 AM
If you can still find them, how about the braided leader loop connector? I think Rio sells them. Orvis came up with it, but I do not see them in their catalog. I've used them extensively. I always put a drop of superglue right were the tip of the line met the braided loop since I just didn't fully trust the little sleeve.

silvercreek
05-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Duh. I should have checked LRO first. LRO sells the Rio connectors. A 4 pack for six bucks. Cheaper than a new line.

Worrgamesguy
05-26-2009, 07:06 PM
I never was a fan of those. They cast really awkward.

Lumber_Jack
05-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Dude, use the mono loop, thats definitely the way to go. But, back to your original question, I really like the sharkskin line. I got the trout taper, it is awesome, it casts smooth and shoots far. I was skeptical about their claims to float high and mend easier but it is all true. The only draw back is it can burn a little if you are stripping a streamer or hook a biggin' that runs on you

Dawgvet
05-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I really like Dave Whitlock's Zap-A-Gap method of attaching either the leader directly or a mono loop. You basically thread the mono into the tip of the line and glue it permantly. The line/leader junction is perfectly smooth and will run in/out of the guides easily. I find this important with our close-quarters style of fishing as the end of the line passes the tiptop quite frequently. Just google it or look on Flyfisherman Magazine's website. I have found this to be a very strong attachment.
Jed

jarrod white
05-29-2009, 04:14 AM
I have switched all my lines over to the Orvis Easy Mend, and the first thing I do is cut the loop off, and then nail knot a mono loop on. I think you will be pleased, and it will not let you down.

JW

Wilson10
05-29-2009, 12:17 PM

My advice would be exactly what Plateau Angler said. I did this on my last line and it worked GREAT!

Worrgamesguy
05-29-2009, 06:26 PM
The super glue I put on it seemed to help, but once it's beyond repair I will do a mono loop. One question. Where should I buy it? And what test do you recommend?

BuckeyeRick
06-02-2009, 11:59 AM
If you go to a mono loop use 30 lb. test. The Perfection loop is absolutely the way to go. Any shop where you buy your line should do it for you. The only problem with loops is that they make a "hinge" point. I have gone to tying my own leaders using a nail knot to the fly line and blood knots for the leader with a surgeon's knot for the tippet. Besides not getting a loop caught in my front guide, this system really gets flies to turn over. It has made a huge difference in my casting.

Grumpy
06-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Sometimes with a fairly new or inexperienced caster, the nailknot to fly line may not be the best system if they are messing up the leader frequently, i like that for personal use myself & normally don't have to change a leader that often(which is cutting the head out of your line), then again, i'm human & can destroy a leader with the best of them:redface:

Grumpy

Wilson10
06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
i'm human & can destroy a leader with the best of them:redface:

Grumpy

Oh, so I'm not the only person who messes up leaders? :biggrin: What a relief!

Plunker
06-02-2009, 08:50 PM
I just can't see the dang things...:p

so I carry some SA L2L Reconnect leaders as a back-up when I invariably turn a 10' leader into 2'r .

The L2L's though expesive are handy little suckers, quick to change, cast Very Well and I can do it without the flip down magnifiers:biggrin: in the dusk even.

Just a thought