PDA

View Full Version : Small stream indicator advice

terry13111
05-26-2009, 11:33 AM
What kind of strike indicator do you small stream guys like to fish? I have been using the stick-on foam ones, but I want something adjustable that won't kink my leader and that is not too big. I was thinking the round foam balls with the pegs, but I don't know what size would be good for small stream brookie fishing. Thanks.

tennswede
05-26-2009, 01:16 PM
I have found that it is better to go without an indicator at all. After a while you learn to watch your line for an unatural drift and set the hook if the line acts out of normal. The indicator has it's place but in my opinion it's a hindrance on any river smaller than Little River.

Grannyknot
05-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Bill @ LRO introduced me to the ones that look like a medicine capsule with the dog bone shaped piece of rubber in the middle. I believe Mr. Drake advocates the use of these also.

Here's a link to the product description on their online catalog ....http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17223&cat=966&page=2

I don't think I'll ever use another type of indicator.

GrouseMan77
05-26-2009, 03:03 PM
I agree with tennswede. I was started leaving the strike indicators in my vest earlier this year.

If you need to... I would use a dry.

Wilson10
05-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I just bought some thingamabobbers. Haven't gotten to try them out yet.

I'll be sure to give a report... Some others on this board recommended them.

Grannyknot
05-26-2009, 04:57 PM
I just bought some thingamabobbers. Haven't gotten to try them out yet.

I'll be sure to give a report... Some others on this board recommended them.

Adam...shoot me an email when you get a minute.
Cody_Edrington@yahoo.com

92Esquire
05-26-2009, 06:46 PM
My favorite small stream indicator is called a Stimulator, in size 12 or 14. :)

troutslayer3393
05-26-2009, 10:33 PM
I always like one with a hook on it. Neversink Caddis' work great for me this time of year....I would also try beefy foam ants and terrestrials. I would hate to recall how many times a trout has tried to eat my indicator...and there was no hook on it.

David Knapp
05-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Definitely learn to fish small streams without an indicator...it will make you a better all around fisherman. On small streams, the only place I feel an indicator is needed is maybe on the larger pools... If you really want to use indicators, try the twist on ones or just yarn. I use the twist on ones when taking a beginner fishing. Most indicators will crimp the indicator at least a little...that's just one of those things you have to deal with when using indicators. The thingamabobbers are my indicator of choice on larger water and the small ones work well on smaller streams...

Worrgamesguy
05-27-2009, 12:29 AM
So do the thingamabobbers slide easily? Seems like they would...

Tennessee Jed
05-27-2009, 09:03 AM
So do the thingamabobbers slide easily? Seems like they would...

Yes, but they stay put regardless of tippet diameter. The smallest ones will float well even with two nymphs and split shot. They are SO much better than yarn indicators. I hate how the yarn indicators are so difficult to get off your leader once your line has locked into the rubber ring. You usually have to cut them off because your line gets so tangled up in the rubber ring.

Troutman
05-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I learned many years ago to not use a strike indicator on the smokies streams by one of the best nymph fishermen around. Jim Parks taught me to high stick instead of lobbing a bobber & nymph rig. Its much more effective. You want a tippet connection knot about 2-3 ft above your top nymph. You watch the knot as you high stick the run. Another method is to intentionaly put a soft kink in the leader at the same location. When a fish bites, the kink with straighten out and you set the hook. Both methods are very effective and no bright yarn or bobber to spook wary fish.
For very low light conditions I will add a tiny piece of the foam roll-on strike indicator (made by Cortland in flat sheets) on the knot.

tennswede
05-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Not to brag or anything, I don't have anything on my tippet. After many years on the circuit you just know when you have a strike.

Wilson10
05-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Adam...shoot me an email when you get a minute.
Cody_Edrington@yahoo.com

Email Sent

awilson1010@gmail.com

Make sure I'm not SPAM:biggrin:

Mundele
05-29-2009, 09:06 PM
I read somewhere that you can use a small balloon (like the kind sold for water balloons). barely inflate it, tie a knot,and then tie it onto your tippet. I bought some the other day but haven't tried them yet. Seems like they'd work well. Anyone tried this?

--Matt

David Knapp
05-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Balloon indicators are for bigger water and probably would spook the fish except on the largest pools of the big park streams... They'll float a lot of weight though and would work very well when the water levels are up or the water is stained...

Mundele
05-31-2009, 12:07 AM
I read somewhere that you can use a small balloon (like the kind sold for water balloons). barely inflate it, tie a knot,and then tie it onto your tippet. I bought some the other day but haven't tried them yet. Seems like they'd work well. Anyone tried this?

--Matt

Ok so I tried the balloons today and didn't much care for it. Actually fished without an indicator for quite a while and caught one, but it seemed much tougher to me. I'm pretty green though.

Wilson10
06-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I finally got to try out my thingamabobbers last weekend. They floated great even with split shot. It did slide on me just slightly from time to time, but nothing major.

Overall I'm very pleased. I do have the smaller versions 1/2 inch I believe

Tarheelflyfishing
06-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Not to brag or anything, I don't have anything on my tippet. After many years on the circuit you just know when you have a strike.

Same here...I usually let the fly drift and incorporate a few light twitches every ew seconds. For some reason, I always get fish when I jerk that fly up or twitch it slightly towards the surface. I guess the trout take it as an emerging bug...

Mundele
06-01-2009, 11:30 PM
I finally got to try out my thingamabobbers last weekend. They floated great even with split shot. It did slide on me just slightly from time to time, but nothing major.

Overall I'm very pleased. I do have the smaller versions 1/2 inch I believe

The thingamabobbers slipped on me pretty badly. I met ChemEAngler at Troutfest and we were discussing these indicators. He said he gets small o-rings from the hardware store and cuts them, threads them through the hole and re-glues them with superglue. The rubber ring (o-ring) doesn't slip like the metal grommet through the thingamabobber. I've not tried it yet but it sounds like it'd work.

I had more knots when using thingamabobbers but it could just be my crappy casting.

--Matt

Tippet
06-02-2009, 08:33 PM
I had the same problem with the thingamabobbers. They slipped extremely bad but they casted better then any indicator I have ever used. I was wondering if anyone has tried popping out that metal ring and just letting the plastic connect with the line. It seems like that would help the slipping.

David Knapp
06-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I wish that they would make thingamabobbers with a rubber o-ring instead of that metal junk. If you want to make it work better, build up the hole in the metal ring with aquaseal or something similar so they hole diameter is much less. The aquaseal gives the leader a better surface to grip onto... Tiny rubberbands work well also, such as the ones from an orthodontist...

Tippet
06-03-2009, 08:55 PM
I just purchased the little foam balls where the rubber band is used to keep the indicator in place, and I was very impressed. They don't cast quite as well as the Thingamabobbers, but they stayed put with absolutely no slippage and you could even move it up and down the tippet with ease.

I will try the aquaseal on the Thingamabobbers. I did try one of the rubber bands from the other indicators I just got and that didn't work well, but I feel if I get a little larger rubber band piece I will be in business.

uceddiec
06-18-2009, 08:28 AM
I have tried a few and always go back to strike putty by orvis. I have had this putty from them for ten years and still use it. Some times it will sink but I roll it into a ball again and all if fine. I also have noticed that a small amount of putty affects my casting none at all. I agree with the poster about watching your line. Even when I use the putty I often find myself checking the line for comfirmation. Sometimes the line lets you see if you are dragging bottom or something is nipping at the fly...then again Isometimes miss read my line:rolleyes:. If using a indicator, I like what will not move on my leader.

Rog 1
07-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I am with Hans...reading the book "Flyfishing Through a Midlife Crisis" the author remarked that one of his sons asked him about fishing with indicators and said what is the difference between that and using a cork and baid....in the Park either high stick through the runs or just watch the end of your flyline....it will tell you what you need to know....learned this technique out of necessity one spring trip....

David Dornblaser
07-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I fish in different small streams than you do. However, I have had way too many brookies eat my yarn, strike my twist-ons, etc., over the years. Once the season warms to caddis warmth, and even before, I use a stimulator, or other, large fly as an indicator. And, my "indicator" has caught more than a few fish.

- David