PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions For 2 Day Fishing Backpack Trip

Crockett
05-27-2009, 04:12 PM
So I am thinking about taking a 2 day trip next Friday and Saturday night. I would have Friday off so I will be leaving early Friday morn. I really do want to hike to camp setup my stuff, hang my food, then go fish in the vicinity on Friday. Saturday morning I would like to hike to another campsite and fish there. Kind of a loop would be nice too but not absolutely necassary. I like fishing but I like the hiking part too. I know I could do this in the little river/fish camp area but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions? Maybe Cattaloochee or something that would meet this criteria roughly?

PeteCz
05-27-2009, 04:36 PM
My vote would be for Deep Creek. Its not a loop but you could hike up to #59 on Friday night and fish below or above it, then hike to #55 or #56 on Saturday and fish around there, as well. On Sunday you could break camp and hike down to #60 (drop your pack) and fish up in the bend before heading home.

Or if you were really looking for a challenge, you could hike from up above on US441 down the trail to #56 on Friday, Hike up to #54 on Saturday then hike out on Sunday, after fishing above #53 for awhile. But its a haul above #53 with a pack...
:eek:

sammcdonald
05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
wherever you go, remember to get your back country permits.....they are free and easy to get, but park is getting tougher on those who ignore the permit

pineman19
05-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhh Pete;) There is nothing but snakes on Deep Creek, whuggins post proves that:p

In all seriousness, Pete's suggestion is a very good one. I haven't been up to 53 yet, maybe Pete can lead me down and help carry me back up to Newfound Gap Road:cool: I have fished the water below the 59 campsite and I will do it again for sure. Plan on being up in that area in the near future. By this time of year you definetly want to get above Indian Creek Falls since the tubers are sure to be out in full force.

Enjoy, Neal

http://pineman19.blogspot.com/