PDA

View Full Version : New Free Little River System Map

JoeFred
05-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I hope everyone will indulge me. :redface: I mentioned this map I'm developing in another thread, but am posting here in order to get as much feedback as possible from you.

I'd like to think the map would be useful, especially for orienting anglers new to the Smokies. It's by no means a silver bullet. Trail maps, books, guide services, and last, but not least, insights from this awesome message board are still recommended.
http://www.smokystreams.com/downloads/assets/little_river_freebie_tn.jpg (http://www.smokystreams.com/downloads/assets/little_river_freebie.pdf)
Here's the link: Little River System Map (http://www.smokystreams.com/downloads/assets/little_river_freebie.pdf) .

Please Note: The linked map shows the latest online version as opposed to how it looked at the time of the first posting.

I next plan to start on the Little Pigeon map. But for now, I'm heading that way for a few days for... research, naturally.

Enjoy the water and what it can yield you.

JF

PeteCz
05-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Thats a great piece of work!

The only thing I could see that you may want to check is that I believe Campsite 20 is located on Kiver Branch instead of Mannis Branch. Its a good campsite, BTW; nice sites and very little traffic, etc...

fly fisherman DK
05-28-2009, 03:45 PM
You did very good on that map and you really did take a lot of time to make that. All I can say is SWEET!!! :biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
05-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Nice!:biggrin:

WVBrookie
05-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Nice work! I look forward to future maps.

Chris

Nharrier
05-29-2009, 03:11 PM
I appreciate excellent maps!! I'll be leaving FL tomorrow for Elkmont and will test your map. I printed it to get an in hand version. Some suggestions to consider:
The trails and the trail text could be a little darker. The contours and text should be a more contrasting color than white.

I like the fact that the contours are indicated on the streams rather than including the entire topo lines which can be confusing for these older eyes. Identifying Brook trout streams would be a nice feature.

Keep up the good work!!

5 WT
05-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks, I could have used it earlier this week. I will be back at the end of the month.

flyguys
05-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Awesome map! Great details on the streams, as far as I'm concerned. This map has stream names on it that I haven't found anywhere else, on any map. Keep up the good work. Being a computer novice, not to mention, a trout fishing novice, I can't figure out how to print it on one page. Maybe my 13 year old son can help me out!:smile: any suggestions, anyone??

JoeFred
06-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Back from the mountains where my wife and I enjoyed a few days at a cabin on the LPR in Richardson Cove. No trout, but some nice smallies.

Thanks for the great feedback on the map. Below are comments/suggestions I addressed/adopted.

...The only thing I could see that you may want to check is that I believe Campsite 20 is located on Kiver Branch instead of Mannis Branch...

Good eye, Pete. I corrrected.

...The trails and the trail text could be a little darker. The contours and text should be a more contrasting color than white.
I like the fact that the contours are indicated on the streams rather than including the entire topo lines which can be confusing for these older eyes. Identifying Brook trout streams would be a nice feature.
Keep up the good work!!

Much needed changes made. I lightened the background and darkened the trails, contours and text. I made the trails dashed lines.

I wasn't sure how the contours on the streams would work, but like you, too many topo lines gets to be a blur to me. I did show continuous contours at 1,000 feet elevation intervals. As to the brook trout steams, one factor, and just one, is that they inhabit the headwaters of streams above 3,000 feet.

On a related matter, I now show streams closed to fishing in red.

...Being a computer novice, not to mention, a trout fishing novice, I can't figure out how to print it on one page. Maybe my 13 year old son can help me out! any suggestions, anyone??

Here at home I'm using Adobe Reader 7.0 and an HP OfficeJet 7200 series printer. In the Print settings window under Page Handling>Page Scaling I selected the option Fit to Printer Margins. It all then prints on an 8.5 x 11 inch page. Hard to read though. A 11 x 17 printer is better.

txbrown
06-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Many, many applause. This is an excellent map. I tried zooming in on portions and printing but had an issue with clarity from the zoom. Probably just my technical ability. I admire and envy your ability and time to provide such a useful service. Thanks

BlueRaiderFan
06-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I see a lamenated version of this coming home with me from Kinko's.

MadisonBoats
06-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Great Project bud! Thanks for sharing and helping others on this site.

I have numerous trout maps of the smokies I can scan and share if anyone would be interested.

Maybe you could use them to help extend your map project..?

May I ask what technology you used to create your map..? Was it some Autodesk Product?

Keep up the good work and again - thanks for sharing...

JoeFred
06-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Many, many applause. This is an excellent map. I tried zooming in on portions and printing but had an issue with clarity from the zoom. Probably just my technical ability. I admire and envy your ability and time to provide such a useful service. Thanks

Thanks, txbrown! The best bet is to have it printed as a PDF on an 11x17 laser or injet at an Office Depot, etc. (I use RiX Copies in Morristown.) Yes, you could zoom in on a portion, do a Print Screen to Word, etc., but the best print resolution would be that of your screen resolution.

I do have some time on my hands waiting for some possible engineering gigs to come along. Since I've not been notified of any mapmaking stimulus money coming my way ;), I've working on my own bail out along these lines.

I see a lamenated version of this coming home with me from Kinko's.

Now you're talkin' Raider...

Great Project bud! Thanks for sharing and helping others on this site.
May I ask what technology you used to create your map..? Was it some Autodesk Product?

Thanks, MB! Although I'm an AutoCAD user, I'm doing the maps with Adobe Illustrator using TIFs of quad maps as tracing underlays. I trace manually as I'm too cheap to be more technical... and besides, I'm getting up close and personal with some obscure and interesting stream and landmark names... not the least of which is Holy Butt :p , just to the west of G'burg.

flyguys
06-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the printing information. I'll be sure to print many copies for my next trip out. Thanks again. flyguys

JoeFred
06-18-2009, 11:12 PM
http://www.smokystreams.com/assets/littlepigeonthumbnail_lro_mb2.jpg (http://www.smokystreams.com/maps/assets/littleriver.pdf)
I've kinda spiffed things up a bit and made these changes since the last posting:

Adjusted stream line weights and label font sizes to roughly approximate relative stream sizes. Added numerous named and unnamed streams plus some outside the actual drainage.

Long Cove Creek (trib of West Prong) was incorrectly labeled Devils Nest Creek. Corrected.

Adjusted working size to 22.75 x 33.25 to be able to scale to 13 x 19, which is becoming a popular size for inkjets. I am looking into having these and other sizes printed on waterproof paper. More info on that to follow on my web site.

JF

Gerry Romer
06-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Nit-pickin'...

Tremont is spelled with only one E.

It's officially the "Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont" or GSMIT.

I think the alternate entrance to Metcalf Bottoms is through Wear Cove by way of Wears Valley.

Killer job btw

Gerry

JoeFred
06-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks, Gerry! Your observations are far from nit-pickin. I was able to shoehorn in the full name of the Institute. Omitting the extra "e" helped ;). I corrected the Wear Cove/Valley deal and added some needed details at Metcalf Bottoms.

JF

lwflyrod
06-19-2009, 04:28 PM
I hope everyone will indulge me. :redface: I mentioned this map I'm developing in another thread, but am posting here in order to get as much feedback as possible from you.

I'd like to think the map would be useful, especially for orienting anglers new to the Smokies. It's by no means a silver bullet. Trail maps, books, guide services, and last, but not least, insights from this awesome message board are still recommended.

Here's the link: Little River System Map (http://home.comcast.net/~fredrturner/smokystreams/assets/littleriver.pdf)(requires Adobe Reader and considerable zooming).

Please Note: The linked map shows the latest online version as opposed to how it looked at the time of the first posting.

It is also accessible from my fledgling web site, SmokyStreams.com (http://home.comcast.net/~fredrturner/site/?/page/Smoky_Streams/).

I next plan to start on the Little Pigeon map. But for now, I'm heading that way for a few days for... research, naturally.

Enjoy the water and what it can yield you.

JF

Thanks for the Map.
I printed it out on our Epson large format printer (i have at work)
its was an awesome tool on our GSM excursion this past weekend.
I only had 3 days to spend in the GSM to fish so I had to do a lot of planning, (I havent fished the Park in 5 years)
These maps were very helpful.
I also did it to the park map and it was 2 awesome tools.
Cant wait for the Little Pigeon Map

Fishing Reports to come at later date
Thanks again

Lwflyrod and BCflyfisher2012 say Thanks a bunch! :biggrin:

JoeFred
06-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Lwflyrod, hope the fishing went well for you guys. I got washed out today.

Just curious, at what size did you print the map?

JF

lwflyrod
06-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Yes, fishing was good will post once I download pics.
as far as map size, I have to check the specs we printed it out at, but I think we did it working size. but lets just say I had to roll it and the Park map brochure that you get at the welcome center when its folded out definitly smaller.

However I noticed on another post you were talking about printing it out on large scale.
Make a deal with you. Send me the maps files / PM me and I will get you the printed one our Large format inkjet at work will do and send to you.
we can work out the details.
My way of thanking you for the maps.

JoeFred
06-24-2009, 01:49 PM
...Make a deal with you. Send me the maps files / PM me and I will get you the printed one our Large format inkjet at work will do and send to you. we can work out the details.
My way of thanking you for the maps.

LW, I appreciate your generous offer, but I've had the map printed at approx. 22 x 34 from the working file of that same size. So, I'm good right now. No, I was just curious as to how much you enlarged yours from the 11 x 17 PDF and how well the resolution held up.

BTW, a few weeks back I dropped off a 22 x 34 printout of the LR map with Paula and Daniel at LRO. It's theirs to keep in return for some field-, or I should say, fly shop-testing.

Thanks to all for the ecouragement, JoeFred

JoeFred
06-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Trail hiking distances have been added to the Little River map (http://www.smokystreams.com/maps/assets/littleriver.pdf) as they appear on the NPS Great Smoky Mountain Trail Map dated 2007.

JF

cb76
07-06-2009, 12:39 PM
That is one awesome map. I printed it off to a cannon color printer at work on a size 24"x36" and it is fantastic. Thanks for the map.

JoeFred
07-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Hey, thanks, cb!

I'm trying to work out an arrangement whereby the maps printed at 24x36 on WEATHERPROOF paper could be purchased at an affordable price. I've tested one such paper and it looks great and performs really well.

Another product I'm looking to develop: individually customized trophy maps showing date, species and the size "pinned" to the specific stream on the map on which it was caught. Examples of pinned tags: 080915BOW10, 090630BRK08, or 090704BRN12. Buyer could have one for his wall, and, if feeling especially generous, could e-mail one to a buddy. So, cb, keep your fishing log up to date. You're gonna want one of these bad boys. :smile:

And oh yes, there could be a code for those we don't manage to land after putting in a 2-3 hour hike. Maybe 090706WAL00 (wet a line) or perhaps 090706SKD00 (skunked). Hey, a pin is a pin. :p

JF

JoeFred
07-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I had to watermark the map for business reasons. Sorry for any inconvenience.

JoeFred

cb76
07-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Water proof paper would be great. The one that I printed was only on bond paper and if it gets wet I am sure that it will run. But for now it works fine.

JoeFred
07-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Due to the potential abuse of privileges it has become necessary to restrict map access to viewing only. Information to follow on printing options.

JF

Byron Begley
07-22-2009, 01:39 PM
JoeFred,

Great job on your maps. Thank you for making them available to us. I just sent the link to your site to a customer in Florida instead of selling him a plastic map. Are you using Adobe Illustrator?

Byron

JoeFred
07-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Many thanks, Byron, but ya gotta keep making sales you know :smile:.

Yes, I am using Illustrator.

JoeFred

JoeFred
07-28-2009, 09:53 PM
TIP: Unfortunately printing this entire map using Acrobat is no longer an option. However, you can zoom in and print specific portions of the map at pretty good quality by cutting (using Alt-Print Screen on the PC) the Acrobat window and then pasting into WordPad, your word processor, etc. The print results you get will depend on a number of factors including the extent of the area selected, screen resolution setting, document orientation and margin sizes.

Hope this proves useful.

JF

JohnR
08-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm trying to work out an arrangement whereby the maps printed at 24x36 on WEATHERPROOF paper could be purchased at an affordable price. I've tested one such paper and it looks great and performs really well.

Terrific looking map JoeFred! I like the idea of a printed weatherproof paper. Though weather may not be my issue... slick rocks, however... :rolleyes: Hope you're making some progress along those lines.

Best,
JohnR

JoeFred
08-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks, JohnR!

Re slick rocks and river dances... I can relate. Once I have the Oconaluftee map up, I'll be back on making downloads available with suggestions on where one can order prints on weatherproof (or diving :smile: ) paper. That should be within the next 5-10 days. If there is enough interest in pre-printed maps, I hope to make those available in the future.

JF