PDA

View Full Version : What rod to buy ?????

bones
05-31-2009, 06:52 AM
I broke another tip on another cheap two weight up on Walker Camp Prong. My wife is now going to let me spend between $500.00 and $600.00 0n a new rod. I really wanted a 'boo but have seen that a descent one is way out of that price range; espeacially since I need it by July. I was thinking an Orvis Superfine or the new Hardy glass series. Looking for a 6'9" to 7' rod. Any opinions.

Thanks,
bones

silvercreek
05-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Check out the thread by Lumber Jack in the tackle and gear section. He asked the same question and got a lot of replies you can consider.

5 WT
05-31-2009, 09:01 AM
Not sure what you call cheap? I would go with a Temple Fork and save some of the money for the boo. I fish the park with 7' 6" pro series 5wt and it is a great small stream rod. My dad has a 6' 2wt series 1 he loves. The Finesse series are good rods too. Any rod by Temple Fork will be a good rod for a great price. ($150-$250)

David Knapp
05-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Those Superfines are SWEET rods...if I could afford it I'd definitely be thinking about one...

lauxier
05-31-2009, 02:47 PM
1)call LRO
2)get walter babb's phone number
3)tell walter to build you one of his great bamboo rods
4)tell him,you want two tips,one for nymphing and one for dry flys(that's 2 rods for the price of one)
5)your rod will be custom built just the way you want it and it will be heirloom quality and you'll become a automatic member of the unchartered,renouned and non-existant bamboo club(making you a bit better than every one else)
6)Walter is building me a 3 wt
7)There's a waiting period,about 6 months I think
8)John Gierach,writer,fishes one of Walter's rods
9)I think the price is 900.00 or 450.00/rod on a rod with 2 different working tips,nymph and dry flys

lauxier
05-31-2009, 02:55 PM
I own a Superfine--It is a great rod(It's an older Superfine that casts nice,7ft 4wt)The new Superfines are beautiful----BUT----If you compare a Superfine to Bamboo---um---the Superfine is kind of like kissing your sister---there's not much of a charge in it------