PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tie

silvercreek
06-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Finally, I was able to attach a pic! Here's an interesting way to tie a spinner. I found this rummaging through my boxes. I tied the fly, but I cannot recall where I learned this tie, so I cannot give the person credit. It uses a hackle with the tip cut out and then after leaving a couple of barbs for the tail, the remainder of the hackle is tied back. The tail starts where the hook bend begins. It allows the use of a short shank hook so the fly has the translucence of the natural. This fly was meant to imitate a callibaetis spinner.

silvercreek
06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
All that and I forgot to attach the pic. Hopefully here it is.http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/silvercreek_01/callibaetis.jpg

flyman
06-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Glad you figured it out. That's a really nice looking fly. The technique is a very old one. Harry Darbee the renowned Catskill tyer is the one that developed that technique for a pattern called the 2 feather fly. Poul Jorgensen also developed a similar technique where he trims the feathers rather than folding them back to form the body.

I just did a search on the 2 feather or aka hatchmaster fly and came up with this.

http://www.iadriftless.org/FlyTying/HatchMatcher.htm

"This fly was apparently first developed by Harry Darbee in the late 1930's for use in the Catskills. It was later popularized in the West by Dick Alf, for use on the spring creeks around Sun Valley, Idaho, including Silver Creek. It was included in early editions of the Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club's excellent little pattern guide, Flies of the Northwest (but not in their most recent edition). Steve Raymond sings its praises as a Callibaetis spinner imitation for still water fishing in the West (using the green pheasant feather and black hackle to imitate the "blue upright"). The pattern has the advantage of letting you imitate a large mayfly with a fly that's almost "as light as a feather."

silvercreek
06-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the reaearch. I could not find it in any of my books, but I got it from somewhere. I've never fished it, but it looks good in the hand.