PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork

BlueRaiderFan
06-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Well, the Caney is not much fun for us waders right now. Not much action on just about anything I tried. Did get one on the line with a Yellow Sally and a ZM dropper, but couldn't get it in the net. Switched to a Dark Hendrickson and got a couple of strikes on that. Met a guy coming out of the river that had just as much trouble as we did and heard a lot of complaints about the fishing from other people as well.

Worrgamesguy
06-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Uh oh :frown:

No midge action? What about BHPT? And if all else fails, wooly buggers?

BlueRaiderFan
06-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Nothing off the BHPT and not much on the buggers either...

gutshot
06-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Quit fishing flies that do not represent the food the trout are eating.

Scuds, sowbugs, midges, and other nymphs. Reports are that people are absolutely wearing them out. Fish just off the bottom.

BlueRaiderFan
06-06-2009, 08:00 PM
I had a zebra midge dropped down to the bottom and got very little response. I tried, black, red and green. I will try the others you mentioned next time. Don't know about the boaters, but everyone that I talked to that was wading had very little luck today and I talked to several people on the river and a couple in the parking lot. Thanks for the advice on the flies. I had forgotten about the scuds and sowbugs.

Worrgamesguy
06-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Remember there are also different types of midges. Try a stripper midge or other variation. I forgot about scuds as well, I'm sure you would wear them out on a white beadhead, olive beadhead, or orange beadhead scud. Those always seem to be the ticket.

BlueRaiderFan
06-06-2009, 09:35 PM
I'll have to educate myself on the stripper midge.

buzzmcmanus
06-06-2009, 10:19 PM
I'll have to educate myself on the stripper midge.

I wouldn't recomend that. The last stripper "anything" I educated myself on cost me several thousand dollars, and a marriage. Although, it's not that much different than flyfishing!!!

heyski
06-06-2009, 10:28 PM
I just got back from the Caney. Got there as the water was going down. Fished a #22 midge dropped from a BHPT. Got several strikes on the midge and landed a couple. Water started to rise and I threw a bugger and then a muddler minnow with tungsten putty placed about six inches above the fly. The minnow produced one fish. Overall it was only a 3 fish to hand day. One guy said he had caught around thirty earlier in the day.

David Knapp
06-06-2009, 10:40 PM
With the current moon phase, the best fishing should be early and late in the day. When the sun is high overhead the fish are going to be glued to the bottom (generally) and picky...

BlueRaiderFan
06-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I saw all of the flashes around the bottom and rigged my ZM dropper to just a few inches above it. Got two on the line and none to hand. Didn't try and streamers myself, but Mark tried a bugger and got one hit. I saw one guy (fly fishing) catch three or four, but everyone else within site of me wasn't catching much that we could see. Well, there were some bait casters catching quite a few.

bigpopper
06-06-2009, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't recomend that. The last stripper "anything" I educated myself on cost me several thousand dollars, and a marriage. Although, it's not that much different than flyfishing!!!

Those are some very wise words. I will stay far away from the strippers!:eek: ;)

BlueRaiderFan
06-06-2009, 11:06 PM
With the current moon phase, the best fishing should be early and late in the day. When the sun is high overhead the fish are going to be glued to the bottom (generally) and picky...

Hey, were you fishing some logs on the far bank across from the steps today?

BlueRaiderFan
06-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Those are some very wise words. I will stay far away from the strippers!:eek: ;)

ok guys...let's stay on track here...

bigpopper
06-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Well as BRF was just saying above, it was a tough day for us on the Caney Fork. I used a black ZM dropper off an indicator fly for most of the day, and only one good hit, felt like a "big" brown, really tugged hard and then let go :eek:. Switched over to a hares ear crakle back nymph in pearl white, hooked into a small brown then he tossed the hook 10 feet away from me :mad:. Even though no fish in the net or pics it was still great to get out and relieve some of the withdrawals ive been having :biggrin:. It was a good day.

bigpopper
06-06-2009, 11:17 PM
ok guys...let's stay on track here...

Nothing beats getting off track in the fly shoppe and giving them thousands of dollars! :biggrin: Hmmmmmm...If i could just find a guide to sign my paychecks over to now.......;)

BlueRaiderFan
06-06-2009, 11:20 PM
I believe that was a flash back hairs ear, Mark. Crackle back is different...I'm just sayin'...:biggrin:

bigpopper
06-06-2009, 11:24 PM
I believe that was a flash back hairs ear, Mark. Crackle back is different...I'm just sayin'...:biggrin:

Thanks man, im still tryin to learn the names of my flies. There's just so many, guess i'll just have to do more trout fishing...:biggrin:!

BlueRaiderFan
06-06-2009, 11:35 PM
I hear ya. That's why I love it...keeps me busy learning every time I go. Not a bad way to celebrate my 40th!

David Knapp
06-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Hey, were you fishing some logs on the far bank across from the steps today?

No...didn't fish the Caney...

silvercreek
06-07-2009, 08:32 AM
See any trout taking midges or anything else off the surface?

BlueRaiderFan
06-07-2009, 08:46 AM
I couldn't identify anything, but it did look like they were taking midges because I saw a lot of rises and nothing on the surface. Most of the feeding was sipping things just below or on the surface. I did see a hatch of some very tiny white flies and I finally saw a hatch of some brown looking flies (dark hendrickson or march browns?), but they were so fast that I couldn't catch one if I wanted to. I saw one land on the surface and disappear. I assumed that it had dived below the surface, but it may have flown off (not really up on my aquatic insects). I did get a good reaction when I fished my Dark Hendrickson, but nothing like I normally would have fishing a midge dropper.

MadisonBoats
06-07-2009, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the laugh bro!:biggrin:

txbrown
06-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I was on the Caney Freeway, or should I say parking lot yesterday. The key was getting an area to fish. We were floating in a boat and we could not fish for trying to avoid the waders and canoers, kayakers, bass boats and even a center console boat. At one point we anchored and tried to fish a favorite area. After 3 quick fish, we had a dozen people casting the same area we were fishing. We looked upstream and saw at least 30 or so people and downstream and saw the same. Then add the boats. Saw a lot of stringers going out yesterday and several dead trout floating downcurrent. Mostly smaller browns and rainbows with some bluegills also.

Floated for about 6 hours, did not catch huge numbers (20 or so) but did catch nice fish, mostly in the 14-16, with 5 big ones over that. All fought well but looked a little thin. A friend fished it Wednesday and said they pumped the stomachs of 4 fish and did not find a single bug. That is concerning. If the Caney is going to continue to get the kind of pressure we saw yesterday, there are going to have to be some regulation changes and stiffer enforcement or that river is going to really suffer. Also the boat traffic is bad, we were almost swamped by a bass boat and we were in a boat and underway so I can imagine what a kayak or canoe thought when the guy passed. Someone is going to get run over and hurt.

Be safe and keep an eye out on the Caney.

BlueRaiderFan
06-07-2009, 11:39 AM
My favorite is the boaters that insist on going back and forth in the wading areas. Out of the entire river, you choose an area that people are wading to float down and boat back up in, over and over?

txbrown
06-07-2009, 11:47 AM
BRF, please be careful how you use the term you. I do not do that. We either anchor or beach and get out and wade. Not all boater operators are insensitive to waders. Many of us (I know many that feel the same as I do) wade and float and many times only wade. Be careful with the broad brush.

BlueRaiderFan
06-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Sure, I didn't say all boaters do it. I was complaining about the few that do;). Nothing against boaters, just wish they would go through the wading areas once and be done with it, instead of going back and forth like some do.:smile:

MadisonBoats
06-07-2009, 01:25 PM
BRF, please be careful how you use the term you. I do not do that. We either anchor or beach and get out and wade. Not all boater operators are insensitive to waders. Many of us (I know many that feel the same as I do) wade and float and many times only wade. Be careful with the broad brush.

AGREED! I try to be a very cordial boater. I get out of my boat and will push it around fellas in certain spots to respect their hole.

Sometimes I have no where to go on the shoal crossings and there may only be one spot to shoot them to cross. I usually hold back in hopes that a wader will see my predicament and let me quietly drift through the hole. I don't want his spot; just need to get through...

Remember fellas; fish spook, but you have to be completely inept in your skills to think someone can clear a spot. However, heavy consistent traffic will drive them to school and range for deeper - quieter areas.

gutshot
06-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Have any of you fish below Congo bottoms? The fish are away from the crowds.

BlueRaiderFan
06-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Not familiar with Congo Bottoms...Would you mind explaining? (I can always use a new spot:biggrin:)

heyski
06-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Have any of you fish below Congo bottoms? The fish are away from the crowds.

I've just been to the end of the island. It's to deep to wade at that point.

Worrgamesguy
06-07-2009, 06:13 PM
It's the apocalypse! :frown:

I was gonna try the Caney today, but I knew it would be an absolute ZOO. A nice, clear Sunday- there will be A LOT of fishermen. I'm gonna try to hit the Caney tomorrow, Tuesday, or Wednesday.

BlueRaiderFan
06-07-2009, 07:32 PM
If we don't get the powers that be to implement catch and release only on a couple of sections, the bait casters are gonna fish it out. Nothing wrong with bait casting per say, just I've noticed they are the ones that tend to keep the fish and they seem to catch a lot too.:eek:

Worrgamesguy
06-07-2009, 10:23 PM
If as many fish held over from last year like the previous year, there is no possible way to fish it out. There were thousands of trout in one mile of river, one of the highest percentages in the state.

TNFishnstix
06-08-2009, 09:40 AM
I am not as concerned over fishing it out as I am water quality. Right now the water temperature is 9 degrees higher than it was at this time last year. Water color and clarity is not nearly what it should be and the lack of vegitation and aquatic life is extremely low. Vegitation will come back, as will the egg laying insects, but only if the water quality is good. We have been through that on the Caney and those of you that have fished it, remember what it was in 1999 when the DO was so low that the trout could not survive in it. Granted, there are more "meat" fishermen on the Caney now than ever before some are bait chunkers, some are not. It doesn't really matter though because if the river doesn't get a chance to recover, it won't.

there will never be a section of the Caney Fork that is C&R only, nor will there ever be a section that is a Trophy Section only until there are enough voices pressuring the governing bodys to make it happen, and even then it is doubtful

BlueRaiderFan
06-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Average water temps last year compared to this year, say what you want, but there is a problem on the Caney:

Caney Fork River at Gordonsville, TN

Gage Zero - 450.00 Ft. NGVD1929

Location of Gage - Located in Smith County, TN at TN 264 Highway Bridge (Stonewall Bridge).

Year-->
2008 TW
2009 TW

(June) Day
JUN
JUN

M

M

M

M

M

gutshot
06-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Are you predicting the temp or can you see into the future. Your data says July. Do you have the website you posted this from?

txbrown
06-08-2009, 11:04 PM
TNFishingstix,

We have an alternative. :rolleyes:
Pack up and come on

BlueRaiderFan
06-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Are you predicting the temp or can you see into the future. Your data says July. Do you have the website you posted this from?

Sorry, I listed the wrong month. I copied that data off of the Cumberland Transit board and I believe they got it off the TWRA or Corp of Eng. Site. You can go over and ask them and they'll probably tell you.

JoelO
06-09-2009, 06:41 PM
this will give you 2008-2009 water temps at Stonewall.

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/yearly_tables2.cfm?sid=CFST1&from1=01/01/2008&to1=12/31/2009&dt=S&param=TW

TNFishnstix
06-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Dwayne, it comes from the Corps of Engineers board. I had about a 20 minute converstion with TWRA today and they are aware of the issues and have as many concerns as we have. Biggest issues are Water Temp. They told me today that btween Jan 1st and today they had alread passed more water through the dam than they did all last year. They are working with the Corp to try to establish some better flows so that 3 things could possibly happen. 1) water temp decrease (and pray that we don't have a lot of tropical rains) 2) longer periods of no generation so that the aquatic life and vegitation has a chance to re-populate and 3) trying to do those things while maintaining a lake level that is conducive to the construction efforts. Their worst fears are our worst fears and that is water temp. They were on the lower part of the Caney today working and assessing what the situation is really like at that level. That is, after all, the home of the "big boys"

Joels numbers are right on that comes from the Corps website. What it doesnt' show is the dissolved oxygen of the river and according to what I was told today, we are alright...right now. With hot weather in front of us, we can expect to see that change. They are working with the Corps to try to establish some control measure to ensure that we keep a higher DO content of the river. Time will tell.

Let's go to the mountain Ed, I know Josh is ready

TNFishnstix
06-09-2009, 07:03 PM
I've just been to the end of the island. It's to deep to wade at that point.

Congo hasn't yet had a suitable water level to get in and see what is really going on there. With the flows that we have had, it never falls out enough to get down very far! Maybe soon though. I have talked to a few that have floated it, and so far so good but no big reports or any official bragging!!

BlueRaiderFan
06-09-2009, 07:50 PM
FishStix,

Thanks for confirming my data. I guess they will have to generate at low levels to keep the water cool in the dead of summer?

Worrgamesguy
06-10-2009, 02:28 AM
I'll be out there tomorrow, finally.

JoelO
06-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Dwayne,

My $.02 of what TnFishnstix says. We need longer periods of no generation for plant life/aquatic life to regenerate. You've probably seen how the major releases we've had have scoured the bottom of the river. There are a couple of concerns to go along with that. If we have some major tropical storms which require a lot of warm water releases, we're going to have a temperature problem. I also have a concern that with all the heavy releases we've had this spring, the lake has not stratified to the degree that the releases we will be having are cold enough to keep the tempertures down in the summer months.

BlueRaiderFan
06-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah, we could be in for it. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know if the browns are better with warmer temps than the bows? I know the brookies aren't good at high temps, but I think I read somewhere that browns did better than bows at high temps.

JoelO
06-10-2009, 06:23 PM
I've heard the same thing regarding browns being able to handle higher temps than rainbows/brookies. Don't know if its a fact but that's what I've heard.

BlueRaiderFan
06-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Maybe they could switch the stock for this year.

Worrgamesguy
06-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Wasn't able to make it out, they switched the generation schedule on me :mad:

But we did have a fun day on Center Hill lake. I think they stocked browns in the fall because the last time my dad and I went we got into a mess of fingerlings.