PDA

View Full Version : Making it easier for a noob...?

RStouff
06-08-2009, 04:47 PM
First post here, so...hello!
I'm a warmwater fly fisherman from Louisiana. My fiancee and I spent a week in the GSMNP last November...that week when it rained almost every day? Yeah, that was us, bringing it from La.! :biggrin:

I did get some fishing in though, but I gotta tell ya, those rivers ya'll got over there near-about kicked my tail! I have only fished coldwater once before, Glacier NP, Montana, and whether by accident or design, the three places I fished were small rock or gravel with the occasional big boulder. I fished the Smokies at Elkmont, Tremont and Metcalf Bottoms, and the only place I felt at east was the last. I took a dip at Tremont, in fact, luckily in slack water.

So, until I get my sea-legs (stream legs? creek legs?) and a little more sure of myself boulder-hopping, are there any easier reaches within the park with reasonable fishing potential? We're going back in November again.

Thanks, also, to LRO for helping me out when we stopped in for some flies and directions. Good folks.

Best regards
Roger Stouff
La.

Troutman
06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey Roger, let me know when you come again. I'll hook you up with some info. on the area streams. You can PM me over on warmfly.

pineman19
06-09-2009, 08:43 AM
One thing you may want to consider is buying a good wading staff if you don't already have one. Also, just in case you don't have good felt wading shoes invest in a pair. To be honest, I don't think there are many real easy streams to fish in the Park. I am not being negative, but there are much tougher to wade than many streams and rivers in other parts of the United States. It takes practice and being careful, but sometimes you are going to slip, it just happens! A good staff and good shoes will help more than anything.

Enjoy,

Neal

MadisonBoats
06-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Roger,
The Smoky Mountain Streams are notoriously slick. I think it would be a good idea to use a staff to get to each spot. Also, do not release your hind foot until you think you can balance on your forward foot; you just might have to do it...? I have fell so many times it is not funny:redface:

My brother fell at the horseshoe on Abram's and bounced on his butt about 30 yards before he could stop himself. Sure was funny looking back on it.

Let me know if you ever want to come up and fish with me on the Clinch. Very easy to wade.

RStouff
06-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I realized I certainly do need a wading staff, and have been "saving up" for a Folstaf, I do wear felt soles, and I think that's what limited me to only one spill. :)
Thanks for all the tips and the invites! Most kind, and I'll certainly be in touch as the time nears. I'm pretty good about not letting one foothold go until I'm sure as I can be about the next. I do more wading than I guess I implied in my first post, by traveling to central and north Louisiana streams like this, which are very, very, very rare but they have given me some experience, but as you can see, it's FAR different from the Smokies!
http://www.native-waters.com/Photos/Kisatchie09/scott-rapidsSMALL.jpg

Thanks for the help, folks,
R