PDA

View Full Version : Camping + Fishing

Green Weenie
06-11-2009, 09:55 AM
To my brothers and sisters of the board:

My dad and a friend of his are planning on coming up from Georgia sometime in September. They want me to take them trout fishing. They also want to chuck salmon eggs and Rapalas. :rolleyes: Now, being the only fly fisherman in the family, I am trying to be as accomodating as possible. I'm no guide by any stretch, but I figured I could put them on some fish. Maybe, just maybe, I can convert them to the ways of the long-rod. We need a place to camp, preferably on the water where they can catch a few "big enough to eat". (I've showed them pictures of some of the fish I have caught in the park. They giggled and asked me if I was using the fish as bait.)

Suggestions?

PeteCz
06-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Here are three that come to mind:
1) Snowbird Creek in NC. The lower sections are stocked. There are campsites all along the stocked areas and you can hike into some great wild trout water above the stocked sections.

2) Tellico and/or Citico Creek. Again there are some good stocked waters plus wild areas above. Lots of places to camp, easily accessible.

3) Nantahala above the powerhouse below the lake. This section is DH for part of the year and has some good fish. I have not been there but it looks like there are several camping options:
http://ncnatural.com/NCUSFS/Nantahala/nantfac.html

silvercreek
06-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Unless things have changed since last year, there is no water at the North River campground,otherwise it is a nice place.

PeteCz
06-11-2009, 10:41 AM
I haven't been down there this year (I believe Grumpy has), but I do know the water has come up. Its been at or above the historical averages for the last 3 months. In fact, right now, the water is 3x what it was in 2007.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=60&site_no=03518500

silvercreek
06-11-2009, 10:52 AM
I may have not made myself clear. The North River campground does not have a water pump anymore, so you have to bring your own water.

MadisonBoats
06-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Greenie!

May I suggest Norris Dam State Park. You have access to the Clinch in several spots and the lake too...

-You can stay in the rustic cabins or at one of several campgrounds.

*Within an hour or so of several other Rivers...

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/NorrisDam/index.shtml

lee0070
06-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I would go with the Tellico/North River area. Can't beat that area even if you don't catch 1 fish.

Tippet
06-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Tellico and Citico are definite musts to camp at. It will be good for the fishing they want to do, also a good place to try a fly rod due to the fact you don't have to make any long casts. They also have tons of camping spots and they will definitely catch fish being so close to the hatchery. Just remember to get the specific pass to fish there.

Green Weenie
06-12-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.

I've never fished the Tellico area. I'll have to do some 'studying up'.

This is what this message board is here for. Hats off to you guys.

Grumpy
06-12-2009, 08:39 AM
I may have not made myself clear. The North River campground does not have a water pump anymore, so you have to bring your own water.
yep, someone sabotaged the well:mad: Tellico is a beautiful area & the river itself holds some lunkers for the spin guys. I believe the regs are still in effect(September), be sure to check them on TWRA's website.

Grumpy

silvercreek
06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Last year we stayed at the Horse Camp on the North River about a mile above the North River campground. They have a Porta Potty there but no water either. Since that nets out the same as the campground we stayed there. Had the whole place to ourselves. there is some good water right behing the Horse Camp. Unfortunately we had a moonsoon and the fishing was bad, but it looks like the fishing on the North is good now. Check it out before you set up camp at the campground.

buzzmcmanus
06-12-2009, 10:21 AM
You may want to look into staying at Indian Boundary Campground. It's pretty much right in the middle of Citico and Tellico and just minutes from either. They also have a lake there that you can fish. It's an improved campsite and I think they have water and electric hook-ups as well as a shower house.

silvercreek
06-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Years and years ago I made several trips to Citco. Beautiful water, and had some decent hatches. Not sure why I have not been back. But Buzz is right.

Grumpy
06-12-2009, 10:29 PM
i like the free camps on North River;)

Grumpy