PDA

View Full Version : Cranberry Wilderness around Richwood

Bullwinkle
06-15-2009, 02:15 PM
tell me about it.

Thanks.

WVBrookie
06-15-2009, 11:05 PM
The Cranberry is a stocked put and take stream for about 20 miles, with the exception of two C&R sections and a C&R, FFO brookie stream. 16 miles of this stream is gated, it is 9 miles from the lower gate to the upper C&R. The upper C&R begins at the mouth of the FFO stream and continues for about 2 miles to the NF of Cranberry. You can come in from the upper end at the Cranberry Glades, but it is uphill when you go back out. The preferred method of travel behind the gate is by bicycle.

The lower section, outside the gate, follows the road to the lower C&R at Woodbine. This C&R section is aboout 1/2 mile and ends at the next access point at Camp Splinter.

I am not sure of the reproduction in Cranberry but it does hold fish year-round.

If you're in the area, check out the NF of Cherry. It has a C&R section also and has a nice population of wild fish, stocked fish, and even a few native brookies.

Every trib on the north side of Cranberry is dead due to acidification, but many streams in that area receive limestone sand dumps and are recovering to the point the native brookie popuations are rebounding very nicely.

If you want more specifics, please PM me.

Chris