PDA

View Full Version : red river gorge

lauxier
06-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Because the cumberland river is up and dangerous-I opted for a little fishing on Indian Creek in the Red River Gorge."The Gorge" has been trashed badly.The garbage cans were full and running over.I caught a rainbow about 8 inches long.It was depressing.Got home early.That's the last time for me and the gorge.

gmreeves
06-16-2009, 09:43 AM
That is sad to hear. I used to do a lot of rock climbing at the Red and the last few times, I took a rod along. I remember fishing a creek, not sure of the name, but it was badly littered as well. It is a shame that a place as beautiful as the Red River Gorge can be treated so badly from so many different user groups.

kytroutman
06-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Sorry to hear that lauxier. The problem has been getting worse the last few years, especially with the increase in the visitor count.

lexfly
06-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I haven't fished the gorge in 2 or 3 years but nothing stuck me so that I have wanted to get back there. However, I did fish Bark Camp about a month ago and had a great time. It is small and farther from Lexington than the gorge, but it is a beautiful setting and I lost count of the fish brought to hand. They were all stockers but some had been in the stream for a while so they were nicely colored.

kytroutman
06-16-2009, 01:56 PM
lexfly, how far down from the road did you hike to fish? Farther down, there is a gorgeous waterfall with a large pool. Did you happen to catch any browns?

lexfly
06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
I walked down about 45 minutes to an hour or so. I was pressed for time as the wife's family was coming in town. I don't think I made it to the waterfall you are talking about, although there were some beautiful pools. I will go back there sometime. I did catch 2 browns. Caught everything on nymphs.

Kytroutbum
06-17-2009, 12:36 AM
I had thought the reasoning for charging of fees for overnight camping was to have brought in more personnel. Instead there is an extremely nice visitor center at Gladie, and a few nicer facilities. I still see campers camping on the edge of streams, inside rock shelters, etc. as in the past. There are only more of them. What is needed is a back country permit system and organized backcountry campsites similar to the Smokies. With the ranger station being moved to Gladie, maybe there will be more enforcement. I believe one of the forest fires a several months ago started at a campsite. Sorry to say the Gorge has always been a "wild place" (in more ways than one) and something other than posting signs has to be done to break the cycle.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum