PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork hatches

silvercreek
06-16-2009, 05:57 PM
I was talking to a fellow, who said that there were some hatches of blue wing olives and some caddis on the Caney Fork. Can anyone confirm this? And if so, be willing to give some general idea of where they take place and the time of the year. It's been several years since I spent any time on the Caney, and my knowledge of the river is apparently obsolete.

BlueRaiderFan
06-16-2009, 06:41 PM
It's true...Also, March Browns and Dark Hendricksons and Blue Duns.

Tarheelflyfishing
06-16-2009, 07:27 PM
March Browns, Dark Hendricksons and Blue Duns, Oh my!!....

From what I've heard the Caney is fishing very well right now. Come to think of it, ALL of the TN tailwaters are fishing well.

BlueRaiderFan
06-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Here's a something to chew on:

http://www.tennesseesportsmanmag.com/fishing/trout-fishing/TN_0407_02/index2.html

http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/sustain/draft/aqua5/aqua5.pdf

Grumpy
06-16-2009, 07:57 PM
You'll see sporadic BWO in colder months, Caddis in October, typically in the no access areas;)

Fish it while you can with every other person from a 4 state surrounding area & then wonder why it isn't fishing so well, not to mention other problems:mad:

Grumpy

BlueRaiderFan
06-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Sorry, here's the pdf file I meant to link:

http://www.famu.org/mayfly/pubs/pub_l/publongl1996p171.pdf

Great stuff on flies of middle tennessee. I went through and converted the genus and species to fly fishing flies. All that have been mention should be more than enough to catch fish though.

silvercreek
06-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Holy moley. Ya got the Cliff notes for that Blue Raider? Especially that 133 page tome in your first post. Thanks for the reply. Thanks to you Grumpy as well. I have a suspicion that I can just lug along my scuds and midges, and pray for the TVA to keeep it word on generation.

Stonefly
06-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Silvercreek -

Amazed me to find stones in the mid/lower river too. I have one in a vial on my desk, about a #12.

Been meaning to mention since you joined the list, RGITF, right?

sb

BlueRaiderFan
06-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Holy moley. Ya got the Cliff notes for that Blue Raider? Especially that 133 page tome in your first post. Thanks for the reply. Thanks to you Grumpy as well. I have a suspicion that I can just lug along my scuds and midges, and pray for the TVA to keeep it word on generation.

The four flies that I mentioned are basically the Cliff Notes version:smile:

silvercreek
06-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Stonefly, I have no clue what RGITF stands for. Blue Raider, I thought you were pulling my leg on those flies, although I did fish a greendrake hatch on the Cane Creek below Fall Creek falls. Thought my friend was kidding about that one until I saw it.

BlueRaiderFan
06-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Nope...Wasn't kiddin...I had to go through that entire pdf file, call my old vert zoo prof with a couple of questions (he's a darn good entomolgist too) and do the research on genus and species to find out that most of them were basically those four flies. Of course you can do variations of those, emergers, etc...I'm no expert, not even close, but I think the hendrickson and brown are good flies right now. Mine got a lot of attention last time I went. Saw hatches in sizes 14-16 last time I went. Couldn't tell you if they were march browns or the hendricksons, but they were brown.

Stonefly
06-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Stonefly, I have no clue what RGITF stands for.

I thought you had a phrase, Rod Goes In Tube First. Been a long time ago.

sb

silvercreek
06-16-2009, 09:32 PM
It's just RGIF Rod goes in first. Started obeying that one after I drove off from the Caney leaving a Thomas and Thomas with a Hardy reel on the top of the camper. You've got the advantage Stonefly. Who are you?

Stonefly
06-16-2009, 09:40 PM
It's just RGIF Rod goes in first. Started obeying that one after I drove off from the Caney leaving a Thomas and Thomas with a Hardy reel on the top of the camper. You've got the advantage Stonefly. Who are you?

I was thinking you lost a Marriott reel in that episode. But as I said, it's been a long time.

Steve Baker

silvercreek
06-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah, it's been a long long time. I still have that reel. I haven't forgot you beating me out of that neat canoe at the TU auction. Good to hear from you. I'm trying to get into doing a little more flyfishing as this aging body permits. I guess like Byron you figured me out from the scud dissertations at TU. I'll be looking or your posts. Good to hear from you.

Stonefly
06-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Actually i took the easy way and just asked Tyrone. Did you and Doc make to the SoHo yet?

sb

BlueRaiderFan
06-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Silver,

Does that creek at Fall Creek Falls have public access?

silvercreek
06-16-2009, 10:02 PM
I haven't been there since the 80's. It

silvercreek
06-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Sorry, I screwed that up. I was trying to type a repl and talk on the phone at the same time. Anyway, it is still stocked by the TWRA, and you can see what access there is from their map section of stocked trout streams. We parked off the road and fish toward the head of the creek. The drakes came off right at dark.

silvercreek
06-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Stonefly, if I can figure out this private message thing, I'll send you one. I'm new to this message board business. My trip to the SoHo is posted in the tailwater section. Look forward to seeing what you have to say.

gutshot
06-16-2009, 11:18 PM
I have seen caddis more than any other. I have heard of prolific blue winged and other mayflies from the ballfields upstream several miles in March/April, never have seen it myself, but hear stories of fish in the mid 20's rising for these flies. No boat, so I don't know.

Caddis come off about year round but much more in Late September through November.

One hatch I rarely see mentioned is the black ant hatch in August or early September. I have seen them cover the entire surface of the caney over a two week period. They are seen in the greatest numbers at dusk. Tiny black things around a size 26 but with the numbers a 20-24 does just fine. Worth the effort to have half a dozen in each size from 20 down. When it happens nothing else works and you can pick your fish.

I have seen ant hatches at other times as well, but never as strong as in august.

Stonefly
06-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Silvercreek -

The PM's had to be disabled but I rec'd a "friends invitation." Didn't know how that worked (I have no friends!)Talk to you soon

sb

silvercreek
06-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Thanks Gutshot. I used to fish behind the Bonnel plant in the late 80's until the security guards ran me off. There were some big fish there, and once and only once I got into a caddis hatch and had some really great fishing to rising trout. Thanks again.