PDA

View Full Version : Hello from 4X

fourx
06-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Hello people.
I've been fly-fishing for about 20 yrs. now. Like alot of you I started in "The Park" but from there I've gone out West a bunch of times and have fished quite a bit on our local tail-waters but I still love our Smokies best.
I can remember when I was an area supervisor for Shoney's I'd always come back thru Wears Valley and stop by Byron's shop when it was a tiny thing in a small strip mall. There I could always bench fish with Byron, Ian, and whoever was in the shop.
I'm really proud of how Byron and Paula's shop has grown through their pro-active approach to this niche business. I'm a knoxvillian and since the Creels horrible death I'm glad that Townsend has my back now.
On a side note, it really amazes me the number of anglers in The Park or our tailraces that one can see on even a weekday nowadays! That means that one must only get better in order to catch those wiggly things. Trout in '09 are NOT as easy to catch as they were to catch 10-15 years ago but that's why they call it fishing.
I've been posting for a long time on Flyfisherman Magazine's board for a long time under the name "4X" and i'm glad to see there's a few of their members over here. I honestly don't know why I'm just getting on it because I look at Byron's fishing report at least 5 times a week! Oh well, I'm on it now.
Well, now I'm a fly-fishing veteran at the ripe old age of 46 and fish around a 100plus days a year (I'm a farmer now too) so I look forward to giving and receiving fly fishing knowledge/stories with you folks in the future.

On another tangent: I will have to say that of any trophy fish in any kind of water on any continent, that the brown trout that Tim Doyle (whom I don't know personally) is holding that he caught on the campground section of the Bald River ( This is seen in Ian Rutter's first book) is the fish I will admire most for the rest of my life. Anybody remember/seen that picture/fish?

4X AKA Steve Staab

pineman19
06-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Welcome to the board Steve. Feel free to ask questions. I "Know a Little" about fishing in the Park and am willing to share what little I know with good people.

Have fun!

Neal

Kytroutbum
06-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Hi Steve.
I really agree with your statement.
"it really amazes me the number of anglers in The Park or our tailraces that one can see on even a weekday nowadays! That means that one must only get better in order to catch those wiggly things. Trout in '09 are NOT as easy to catch as they were to catch 10-15 years ago but that's why they call it fishing."
I came to the Smokies as Biology student on an Ecology field trip from Michigan in 1970. Graduated and planned to head to UT to grad school.( Didn't get past Ky- found eating regularly was fun). 40 years ago,you hardly ever saw anyone else fishing beyond the main roads. Walter Babb and I discussed the trend during Troutfest. I find it funny how folks will complain about someone else fishing above them in the Smokies but will be happy to be the third person through a pool on the Lamar in Yellowstone by 8:30. BUT ON THE OTHER HAND-I wonder if the money for the Brookie Restoration programs, etc. would be there if fishing were not popular here?
I sort of miss the other board I used to lurk during my lunch time at school while I was still teaching. It kept me sane. I used to check the Southern Board, the Fly tiers, then check "the feuding" on the Rocky Mountain forum. Those boys knew each other personally (guides, I think) and carried it over to the board. This board and the LRO folks tell it like it is- straight honest and helpful. You'll enjoy it here!

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum