PDA

View Full Version : "Backcountry" 150yds. from your car!

fourx
06-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Yes, it's true, want a backcountry experience 150yds from your car?
Here's how:
Drive from Sugarlands towards the chimneys picnic area. When you get to the turn off for the picnic area turn your car around and head back towards Sugarlands. When you get a mile or so back down pull over at any place you can. You know where the river is although there are NO trails and cannot see/hear the river. Make a bee-line through the dense woods (yes, I can attest, there are bears there) until you start hearing and seeing the river. Fish this gorgeous piece of water back up to the bridge at the picnic area, get out, and walk the road back to your car.
It's one of the few places in the park where you can fish without hiking too far that doesn't have rocks with all the moss worn off by felt soles and downright fishy to boot!
Anybody else done this?

4X

BlueRaiderFan
06-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Nice! Thanks for the tip!

waterwolf
06-18-2009, 11:41 PM
It was overlooked and could stay that way if not slathered across the pages of an internet forum. Next time you go and have company you will understand:biggrin:

Been there done that one back in the days when I enjoyed the park. Those days are long gone. Glad it is there for y'all to enjoy however.

kytroutman
06-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Anybody else done this?
Yes, and so will a horde of others now.

kytroutman
06-19-2009, 09:00 AM
slath·er (slr)
tr.v. slath·ered, slath·er·ing, slath·ers Informal
1. To use or give great amounts of; lavish: slathered gifts and attention on their only child.
a. To spread thickly: slather onions on the steak.
b. To cover with something spread thickly: bagels slathered with cream cheese.

I couldn't resist waterwolf. It's a word in my personal dictionary but others seem lost by it.

flyman
06-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes I've fished it. I didn't bushwack though. There are about a dozen quiet walk ways with paths leading down to the river on that side of the road. Just look for the paved pull outs ;)

Kytroutbum
06-19-2009, 01:21 PM
"Anybody else done this?
Yes, and so will a horde of others now.

"It was overlooked and could stay that way if not slathered across the pages of an internet forum. Next time you go and have company you will understand"

That's what ya''ll thought, Huh. That's were I"ve been going when LRO sends everyone to Elkmont! With the increase in fisherpeople (to be PC), thar ain't too many places that are really secret that someone hasn't found before ya. I'll take a passel of peppers with the slathering onions on my steak(:>)

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

Vern
06-19-2009, 01:45 PM
I have fished there, but since you can hear the Harleys and smell the brakes being burnt up, I would not consider it back country. And there are several people that go down there, it's very rare that I don't see another fisherman in there. If go on up stream the trails disappear and it gets fairly rough, and most fishermen won't go that far. It's no secret, if you stop in sugarland and ask for a good fishing spot, that's where they tell you to go. Like anyplace else in the park, hike in about 1-2 miles and you leave the crowds behind you. But its infested with snakes so I wouldn't fish there!

waterwolf
06-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Long before LRO was even in existence myself and Ian haunted that river along with a ton more waters which got zero pressure. That changed dramatically in a short period of time and I decided the tiny fish weren't worth the hassle of other folks and the drive.

flyman
06-19-2009, 02:23 PM
The first time I every fished it (early to middle 60's maybe?) the picnic area was still a campground. It actually may have received more fishing pressure then than it does now :smile: The average fish may have been a little bit bigger, but I think that's because catch, keep, and fry was the norm then. Would have gone good with those peppers and onions KY :biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
06-19-2009, 02:47 PM
I have fished there, but since you can hear the Harleys and smell the brakes being burnt up, I would not consider it back country. And there are several people that go down there, it's very rare that I don't see another fisherman in there. If go on up stream the trails disappear and it gets fairly rough, and most fishermen won't go that far. It's no secret, if you stop in sugarland and ask for a good fishing spot, that's where they tell you to go. Like anyplace else in the park, hike in about 1-2 miles and you leave the crowds behind you. But its infested with snakes so I wouldn't fish there!

Yep, I hear there aren't any fish there either!:biggrin:

fourx
06-19-2009, 04:48 PM
It was overlooked and could stay that way if not slathered across the pages of an internet forum. Next time you go and have company you will understand:biggrin:

Been there done that one back in the days when I enjoyed the park. Those days are long gone. Glad it is there for y'all to enjoy however.

You know, I've only really been on this board for a couple of days (even though my tag says I joined in '07).
I've been on Flyfisherman Magazine's board since '04.
Anyway, on the magazine's board it was a really bad thing to "hotspot" and I never did.
But, when I first logged onto this board recently and gave it a good hard look I was surprised by what a positive vibe this board had compared to the magazine's! People were really sharing positive information in a helpful manner. That's why I registered a couple days ago.
Look, I'll never post where I catch my brookies and any good fly-shop gives out way more info then a fishing board. I was just throwing out some info that some guy or gal might go enjoy some good fishing in a gorgeous environment.
Incidently, if you hear cars when you first step into the river then you didn't drive downhill far enough before parking.

4X

buzzmcmanus
06-19-2009, 04:59 PM
4X, Most people are on this site to help others. Don't let one person's post rain on your day. As he stated, he doesn't even fish the park, so I have no idea why he would even make that comment. Glad you joined the site and hope to hear more of your adventures.

pineman19
06-19-2009, 05:09 PM
My advice is that you don't let a "Bad Apple" on the board ruin it for you. Ask questions and provide good feedback as well and you will be okay.

In regards to people not knowing about the Quiet Walkways on the WPLP, that is a joke WW, Don Kirk mentioned them in books that he has written on the Park years ago, and others have as well. As always, you spend more time trying to rain on others parade than being a positive force on the board. Not sure why the owners tolerate your insolete attitude, but it doesn't impress me, especially when you bash others and don't have the nerve to list your name.

BTW, my name is Neal A. White and I have nothing to hide!

Mac
06-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the report. I have done exactly what you have listed and I also have gone farther downhill and made a day of it.

Most of my favorite trips I found from reading about reports on this forum. Seems to me that there is plenty of water and fish for anyone willing to give it a try. As mentioned above the farther back the less pressure.

Thanks for sharing.

BlueRaiderFan
06-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Whatever you do, don't say you hate the Smoky's, even if you are just joking around:rolleyes:

tennswede
06-19-2009, 08:10 PM
fourx,

Welcome to the board, I can discuss some pointers, and stories about the streams you seem to enjoy. Shoot me an email at ahlstedt@knology.net if you'd like.

Kytroutbum
06-19-2009, 08:39 PM
I, also, came from Flyfishermen, years ago. I didn't catch your "tag" since you spelled it out!You'll really enjoy this site 99.9% of the folks are fantastic. A few get weird, something about troutbums from Kentucky and certain phases of the moon, (inside joke).

I talked to several members during Troutfest and they also commented about strange patterns and postings(?) since Troutfest was advertised through this board. Some of them actually bordering on getting nasty. I've even had my creditability challenged once or twice. If you sit back and watch the posts over time, you'll find out you can read the posters and determine which ones: 1) really know what they are talking about 2) Those who think they know what they are talking about 3) Those trying for a 1000"s posts 4) Those to just ignore.

I have seen a lot more specific information posted about stream info and fishing. Hence, my pun in my previous post. As you can see, we do have a lot of quality folks here. Check out Paula's post about the Illegal fishing site someone tried to post as an example.

All kidding aside, watch your hands and feet along WPLP, I've seen several rattlers along the Sugarlands Trail over the past years. Enjoy WPLP and remember "thar ain't no fish above Elkmont"!

WELCOME ABOARD

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

hedge
06-19-2009, 09:11 PM
4X, Some people need to chill out. Those of us who aren't "experts" appreciated your post. Thanks, and keep 'em coming.
Hedge in WV.

fourx
06-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey Randall,
They wouldn't let you use only 2 letters in your moniker on this board so I had to morph 4X into fourx. Oh well.
It was good to see you and Grumpy'r and others on this board as well.
Yeah, some people go WAY overboard on some of these boards but good rapport with good people seems to "zero" their comments out.
Fly fishing for trout is 3rd. in my life behind God and family and 4th is way off.

4X

pineman19
06-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Yes, it's true, want a backcountry experience 150yds from your car?
Here's how:
Drive from Sugarlands towards the chimneys picnic area. When you get to the turn off for the picnic area turn your car around and head back towards Sugarlands. When you get a mile or so back down pull over at any place you can. You know where the river is although there are NO trails and cannot see/hear the river. Make a bee-line through the dense woods (yes, I can attest, there are bears there) until you start hearing and seeing the river. Fish this gorgeous piece of water back up to the bridge at the picnic area, get out, and walk the road back to your car.
It's one of the few places in the park where you can fish without hiking too far that doesn't have rocks with all the moss worn off by felt soles and downright fishy to boot!
Anybody else done this?

4X
4x, if you ever want to discuss or possibly need a fishing partner in the Smokies drop me a line. I won't claim to be a master of the Smokies, but I have been known to snag a couple now and then (treble hooks), hey I am kidding, felt a little levity was needed. It's always nice to hear a fresh and enthusiastic voice on the board. Keep those reports coming.

Neal

pineman19@yahoo.com

waterwolf
06-22-2009, 09:19 AM
My advice is that you don't let a "Bad Apple" on the board ruin it for you. Ask questions and provide good feedback as well and you will be okay.

In regards to people not knowing about the Quiet Walkways on the WPLP, that is a joke WW, Don Kirk mentioned them in books that he has written on the Park years ago, and others have as well. As always, you spend more time trying to rain on others parade than being a positive force on the board. Not sure why the owners tolerate your insolete attitude, but it doesn't impress me, especially when you bash others and don't have the nerve to list your name.

BTW, my name is Neal A. White and I have nothing to hide!

Most folks know who I am, but since you don't. Jim Jordan, glad to freaking meet you Neal :biggrin:

flyman
06-22-2009, 10:20 AM
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Shakespeare ;)

MadisonBoats
06-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Kytroutbum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/member.php?u=2496) http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/styles/smartbrown/statusicon/user_online.gif
Good Post! Speaks for itself...

As for fishing in the Smokey's...It is the most frequented National Park and all you have to do is stop in any shop and buy a book with a map to all the streams. That is what I did and it was very specific.

Good info about snakes and stuff comes from caring members like the ones on this site...

Peace Out...

PeteCz
06-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Fourx - Welcome!
There aren't many hidden (secret) places in the Park. Didn't Don Kirk's first book come out in 1985? How long ago did Horace Kephart start giving away our fishing spots?! What the heck was he thinking about?????!??

My rule of thumb is that if its easy to get to I usually try to stay pretty generic about the current fishing quality. If I head out on a stupid-a$$ one day expedition (3 hrs of hiking or more) I usually write a pretty detailed report so that other crazies can decide for themselves if its worth the same effort. Thats a purely subjective yardstick of how detailed a report should/shouldn't be.

Like everyone has said, there are no secrets. I really didn't see anything wrong with your post. I will say that most of the WPLP along the road is lightly fished compared to LR, Abrams, Deep and Hazel Creek (even according to Don Kirk in 1996, so the "word" hasn't hurt the quality of fishing yet) especially the higher you go along the road. But as others have said, the sound of roaring motorcycles and the smell of brake dust make this a bit of a less than pristine experience...

ChemEAngler
06-22-2009, 12:19 PM
If you sit back and watch the posts over time, you'll find out you can read the posters and determine which ones: 1) really know what they are talking about 2) Those who think they know what they are talking about 3) Those trying for a 1000"s posts 4) Those to just ignore.

I love it, and it is so true. Some people even fall into more than one category. I especially like watching the race to 1000 posts.

Welcome to the board fourx (4X). I used to lurk around on the other board, and saw you were from Knoxville. I just figured you were already on here under a different name. I think you will enjoy being a part of this forum community.

pineman19
06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
For the record, not all of the WPLP is close enought to the road to hear the cycles and smell the dust. Much of the stream above the Sugarlands visitor Center to just below Chimneys is a ways from the road. I have fished this stream more than any in the Park since the early 90's when I was a dreaded spinfisherman:rolleyes: In all those visits I have only crossed paths with one fisherman, and that was last summer, just above Campbells Overlook. I agree with Pete in saying that I run into more anglers on many of the other streams in the Park, including those where you have to hike into a ways to hit some of the best water.

I will be quiet now.

Have a great day,

Neal

JoeFred
06-22-2009, 03:00 PM
slath·er (slr)
tr.v. slath·ered, slath·er·ing, slath·ers ....

Then there's scattered, smothered, browned, and covered .... and peppered if one is feeling adventurous. Love those Waffle House hashbrowns! :smile:

Welcome, fourx !!

JoeFred

fourx
06-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Most folks know who I am, but since you don't. Jim Jordan, glad to freaking meet you Neal :biggrin:

Jim Jordan from the creel?
If so, quit being so crass to me or I won't let you or Scott come over to the farm and shoot geese anymore.

Steve Staab AKA 4X

Vern
06-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Boy has this gotten real interesting. The point I was trying to make is the it is just like any other Gsmnp river. The deeper you go the less people you run into. I have fished it 3 different trips this year, March April and June. A couple of trips up it each time. I have run into other fisherman 4 out of the 6 times. But I just head up until I can't hear the road and start from there. But all joking a side I have seen several snakes and most years closer to Sugarlands there are boar or bear traps set out. I also spend a lot of time doing Historical hikes with my family in the Park. The Sugarlands trail(opposite side of the river) is one of my favorites, the ccc camp and old Sugarlands cemetery are real interesting. There is another Cemetery on the other side of the river but, I have never found it.

waterwolf
06-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Jim Jordan from the creel?
If so, quit being so crass to me or I won't let you or Scott come over to the farm and shoot geese anymore.

Steve Staab AKA 4X

:eek:
I thought you were dead it had been so long since I had heard mention of your name or seen you around. How is the farm and pond? I don't kill Geese anymore, I have turned into a staunch PETA activist and only wish to see the goose population proliferate.

Hope all is well and if you want to chase fish sometime let me know.

fishNlady
06-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your post, fourx. Since I'm still pretty new to flyfishing, I still haven't learned the park very well and I appreciate any suggestions for new places to try. Oh..and if you ever need any help with those pesky geese on your farm, waterfowl hunting has been my passion for 40 years or more and.....I just bought a new shotgun. :biggrin: ;)

Crockett
06-23-2009, 11:52 AM
This may be off topic but I am just curious now. What does 1000 posts get you? Some free stuff at LRO or something?

pineman19
06-23-2009, 11:58 AM
I think you get a $1000.00 gift certificate, at least that id what I am hoping for:biggrin: I am kidding. There are a couple of people on here that have reached that number and are highly regarded in my eyes.

Neal

http://pineman19.blogspot.com/

ChemEAngler
06-23-2009, 12:16 PM
There are a couple of people on here that have reached that number and are highly regarded in my eyes.

Neal

http://pineman19.blogspot.com/

Neal,
This is very true. I just looked, and Plateau Angler is leading in total # of posts. However he has been a member since Jan 2006, and his post rate is <1.0 per day. I think highly of David and he is an outstanding fisherman, but his posts are too high of quality to fall into the category of racing to 1000 posts. :biggrin:

sammcdonald
06-23-2009, 05:05 PM
vern, the other cemetery is off the quiet walkway opposite huskey gap trail...it is known as the vance newman cemetery....he was a distant relative of mine
had you gone to the right fork, instead of the left and the cemetery (which has other distant newman relatives), you would have found a small path off to the left that would have taken you to the rock house

fourx
06-23-2009, 06:44 PM
:eek:
I thought you were dead it had been so long since I had heard mention of your name or seen you around. How is the farm and pond? I don't kill Geese anymore, I have turned into a staunch PETA activist and only wish to see the goose population proliferate.

Hope all is well and if you want to chase fish sometime let me know.
All's well young Jim.
I mis-spoke earlier, I said "geese" and I meant to say "sky-carp".
What's a tailwater guy like you doing on this board? Just givin' people like me crap?
I'm still at the farm and am fishing 100days a year. Fire me an email (thestaabs@hotmail.com). I'm always looking for a partner to ride up to the SoHo or wherever.
I hope you graduated from college and aren't just fishing and hanging out with J. Curtis.

4X

flyman
06-23-2009, 09:03 PM
This may be off topic but I am just curious now. What does 1000 posts get you? Some free stuff at LRO or something?

Carpal Tunnel :biggrin:

Kytroutbum
06-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Carpal Tunnel :biggrin:
Love that reply- priceless

MBB
06-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Flyman's comments almost always make me smile.

waterwolf
06-24-2009, 08:04 AM
All's well young Jim.
I mis-spoke earlier, I said "geese" and I meant to say "sky-carp".
What's a tailwater guy like you doing on this board? Just givin' people like me crap?
I'm still at the farm and am fishing 100days a year. Fire me an email (thestaabs@hotmail.com). I'm always looking for a partner to ride up to the SoHo or wherever.
I hope you graduated from college and aren't just fishing and hanging out with J. Curtis.

4X
He's married.
I did graduate, so I am not a full time fishing bum anymore, and now wear a suit 5 days a week, except when I dodge out of work which sometimes is 5 days a week. :biggrin:
Let me know if you want to fish sometime, and as you mentioned I am a tailwater guy so no mtn stuff anymore for me.