PDA

View Full Version : Where can I use my drift boat?

easttnsalmon
06-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Hello. Where around here can I use a drift boat? I got one at a estate sale, and was wondering where I can use it. Is a drift boat for placid waters, or waters like te clinch river? Thanks

Tarheelflyfishing
06-21-2009, 08:48 PM
It's best if you use a drift boat in places where rocks and boulders don't obscure the surface. The Clinch is great for drifting, along with the Watauga, South Holston and I'm thinking the Clinch is fine to float as well. The Hiwassee River is also another good bet. Check TVA's generation schedules and try to plan a float trip when they are generating water from the dams. This ensures that there is enough water to, for the most part, safely float.

David Knapp
06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Come over and check out the Caney Fork River. It is an awesome floating river and is easy to navigate for the most part. If you need some specifics, shoot me an email although it will take me a few days to get back with you as I'm currently in Colorado...

fishNlady
06-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I see drift boats on the Holston quite often too.

ZachMatthews
06-23-2009, 01:11 PM
What kind of drift boat did you get, if you don't mind my asking?

Zach

Luke Warmwater
06-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Hello ETNS,

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the world of rowing. If I could recommend a place to float a drifter in East TN it would have to be the tailwaters of the Soho, the Holston, Clinch, and Watauga. Also there is the Pigeon and other freestones over there in the E TN area.

However, if you want to get out and learn how to row a drifter correctly and want water that is good to learn on, I would follow Plateau Angler's advice and come over to the Caney. It is a good river and a great place to get your feet wet (so to speak). There are several different floats with different types of water i.e.- flat water, shoals, and the opportunity to dodge other boats. Which help you to learn how to maneuver the boat and save some bumps with rocks and stuff during future floats on more technical water.

The Caney may be a bit father in travel, but may save you some work in the long run.

Shoot me an email if you would like to talk about the in's and out's of rowing a drifter. I will be glad to help you out.

Luke Warmwater (diperry@mindspring.com)
(A.K.A. David Perry)
Southeastern Fly (http://www.southeasternfly.com)
Guided Drift Boat Fishing