PDA

View Full Version : Lynn Camp Creek or Round Stone Creek

3wt
06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Has anyone ever fished either one of these creeks in kentucky. If so how good are they. I live in louisville and was wondering if it was worth the drive down to check them out. Just curious cause I haven't heard much about them but have heard enough..:rolleyes:

kytroutman
06-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I haven't been over there yet this year but in prior years, the fishing (stockers) has been okay. KDFW is also doing some stream work on the banks, etc. to make Lynn Camp a better area.

Ky Tim
06-25-2009, 07:28 AM
I haven't fished Lynn Camp this year, but in most years it is definitely worth the drive. Good Access there at the bridge where they stock.

bones
07-03-2009, 09:03 PM
I prefer Otter Creek here on Ft Knox.

Ky Tim
07-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Bones, how much of Otter Creek can you fish on post? The first trout I ever caught on a fly rod, and many more after all came from Otter Creek. This was inside the park and I would get up there nearly once a week, but haven't been in that area since the park closed. I can be there in 30 minutes, but didn't know if it was worth buying the post permit.

bones
07-04-2009, 02:41 PM
You can access about two miles of it without signing in through hunt control. If you sign in, if the area is open, there are an additional four or five miles of stream. Hunting area 13 is where the browns are and a good many holdover 'bows along with some wild fish. You can also find streamborn fish just above the pumphouse.

I was just out on the water today and manged 10 or so fish. water temp was at 62. Pulled two on top with a fore and aft stone; the rest were on an iso soft hackle. Right now isonychia nymphs and tellicos subsurface and Mahogany Duns and yella sallies on top are the flies to use. Of course the prince is the otter creek standard.

Pay attention to the stream bottom; the high waters from recent rains have moved the cobble and sand around. No cobble, no fish. Also if the bottom appears red or brown usaully there are'nt any fish. Look for green tinted pools with cobble, sand, or undercut limestone along the bank. Fish moving water, the oxygen levels are higher so the fish are more active.

I wish TU would take more interest in this stream, theres a ton of potential to it.

Also if you don't mind the drive the Trammel fork is awesome. The bows will be gone to worm dunkers, but there are enough monster browns to keep you good and frustrated. The browns will be above the second stocking point.

Ky Tim
07-04-2009, 06:19 PM
You can access about two miles of it without signing in through hunt control. If you sign in, if the area is open, there are an additional four or five miles of stream. Hunting area 13 is where the browns are and a good many holdover 'bows along with some wild fish. You can also find streamborn fish just above the pumphouse.

I was just out on the water today and manged 10 or so fish. water temp was at 62. Pulled two on top with a fore and aft stone; the rest were on an iso soft hackle. Right now isonychia nymphs and tellicos subsurface and Mahogany Duns and yella sallies on top are the flies to use. Of course the prince is the otter creek standard.

Pay attention to the stream bottom; the high waters from recent rains have moved the cobble and sand around. No cobble, no fish. Also if the bottom appears red or brown usaully there are'nt any fish. Look for green tinted pools with cobble, sand, or undercut limestone along the bank. Fish moving water, the oxygen levels are higher so the fish are more active.

I wish TU would take more interest in this stream, theres a ton of potential to it.

Also if you don't mind the drive the Trammel fork is awesome. The bows will be gone to worm dunkers, but there are enough monster browns to keep you good and frustrated. The browns will be above the second stocking point.

Thanks for the info, looks like a post permit is in my future.

bwana
07-05-2009, 08:41 AM
I have just now (7-5-09) seen your query re Lynn Camp Creek. I usually fish it often (I live at Munfordviile), but this year the high water earlier and heat lately have kept me away.

I have had pretty good luck in years past. There are the usual stockers. but a surprising nuimber of holdover survivors. I have caught lots of 14" - 18" fish. There is a trout farm below the access bridge and they have some big fish that get out into the creek. I saw one, dead, that was over 5 pounds (too big to survive the confines of the creek).

bones
07-05-2009, 11:07 AM
The last few days with drizzly rain and low temps have been awesome here on Otter. Going to hit it again today, hopefully we keep the rain up the rest of the summer.

bwana, does Lynn camp blow out and get muddy like Otter? Any signs of reproduction on that water?