PDA

View Full Version : North River

Tarheelflyfishing
06-25-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm thinking about heading to the North River tomorrow since Tellico is closed on Thursdays and Fridays. Once we hit Tellico Plains, we head down 165...what road will lead us to the North River? To my understanding there are wild Brookies in the North, right? Is the Bald River fishing better?

Thanks in advance

todd_grainger
06-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Once you hit Tell plains you take a right following signs for the Cherohala Skyway. Go through Telliquah area and get into the national forest. After several miles along the river you will take a right following signs for the Tellico river. The raod will wind for several more miles and you will pass Turkey creek, then you will see signs for the North river, which will be off to your right. Good luck.

silvercreek
06-25-2009, 02:01 PM
If you are driving on the road along the Tellico River going upstream, the North River and the road that goes along it will be on your right. If you hit a little community with a store, you've gone too far.

silvercreek
06-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Can't believe I said that. The North River is on your left.

lee0070
06-25-2009, 02:06 PM
If you are following the Tellico River upstream North River will be on the LEFT. I repeat on the LEFT. Get a Delorme Atlas. It is even on the North Carolina Delorme.

pineman19
06-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Hey guys the North River is to the left as you're heading upstream along the Tellico River:p Also, the road alongside the North eventaully leads to the Skyway so you don't have to backtrack if you fish the headwaters of the North.

Neal

Grannyknot
06-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Also, the road alongside the North eventaully leads to the Skyway so you don't have to backtrack if you fish the headwaters of the North.

Neal

Neal, have you ever gone under the skyway on north river road and taken a left at the T? A map really does me no good up there. I almost got lost looking for wolf-laurel hunter camp.

lee0070
06-25-2009, 04:39 PM
I have taken a left there. Takes you to one of the best streams in the southeast.

pineman19
06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Granny Knot, I haven't been on the other side of the Skyway from the North River Rd. junction. I am looking at the National Geographic map for that region (#781) and once you cross the Skyway it becomes FR# 81 which leads to the headwaters of Santeetlah Creek, then you take a left on 81F to go to Wolf laurel hunt camp. Several of those roads dead end, so I can see how you would get turned around on the NC side of the Skyway.

Neal

silvercreek
06-25-2009, 05:03 PM
What's the road there like now? It used to be just short of needing a 4x4.

pineman19
06-25-2009, 05:14 PM
I haven't been on the North Road for a little over a year, but I don't remember it being too bad then when Hans took me on a tour thru there to the Skyway.

silvercreek
06-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks. Last time I went that far up it was in the late 1980's.

Stonefly
06-25-2009, 06:33 PM
As I recall, North River Road takes you across the state line if you follow it far enough. I'm taking a couple extra days off next week, thinking about heading down there too. Love the North and the Bald.

sb

tennswede
06-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Caveat Emptor: Neal is referring to the stretch up to the skyway which is in TN. Once you cross the state line going toward Santeetlah you are in NC. I suspect that road is 4X4 recommended but don't know for sure. Just wanted you all to know just in case.

lee0070
06-25-2009, 10:07 PM
I have been down that road 3 times. It is as smooth as a spank babies behind. I even encountered a road grader grading it. There was a woman throwing the uprooted rocks in the ditch as it was graded. That sign should be taken down.

pineman19
06-26-2009, 06:14 AM
Are you talking about the road to Santeetlah Creek?

Grannyknot
06-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Granny Knot, I haven't been on the other side of the Skyway from the North River Rd. junction. I am looking at the National Geographic map for that region (#781) and once you cross the Skyway it becomes FR# 81 which leads to the headwaters of Santeetlah Creek, then you take a left on 81F to go to Wolf laurel hunt camp. Several of those roads dead end, so I can see how you would get turned around on the NC side of the Skyway.

Neal

Trails Illustrated 784 (Fontana & Hiawassee) is what I used when I got back there the first time. There are several 4x4 "roads" which aren't shown on the map, which makes it confusing. The main road (81) is grated and in good condition, but the side roads get a little hairy in places. Anyway, after a few attempts, I finally found Wolf Laurel camp, which has become one of my favorite areas for fishing & backpacking.

Vern
06-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I was on the north in March, the road was in great shape, they were even grading out the road side ditches while i was up there. I caught a lot of trout, all three species. The road is wash-boarded in some spots but 4wd is not required. Unless you are like me and turn around in the ditch and have to get out and lock your hubs in the mud.

tennswede
06-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Yes, I was referring to Forest Rd 81, perhaps the sign need to come down. I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew the deal.

txbrown
06-26-2009, 10:21 PM
we just spent 10 days on the North and other rivers in the area. The water is warming very quickly. We noticed a definite change while there, especially after a storm. I would plan to fish high or early/late.

North River road in good shape all the way to the top. The area is getting a little snaky at the top. saw big rattler at one spot and a copperhead at another.