PDA

View Full Version : gmreeves- silvercreek

silvercreek
06-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Hey gmreeves, Ten years fishing Silvercreek. Lucky guy. Maybe you can answer a question for me. We used to finish up a lot of evenings fishing where Loving Creek enters Silvercreek. In late June early july what the heck are those trout rising to there. Never could see anything on the water, but they would be chowing down. The rise always looked like they were taking an emerger. Checked out your profile and album. Great loking rods especially that flamed cane one. You build those?

gmreeves
06-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Sorry I am just getting back to you on this. I meant that I fished Silver Creek about 10 years ago for a summer. I wish I would have fished it for ten years. I have been back several times but never with the regularity that I had that one summer. My brother lives out there now and has for about 10 years but he seldom fishes it anymore. He said that it has really changed since the time I was there. It has become very silty with all of the run off from the surrounding fields.

As to your question, I'm not sure what they would have been rising too. If I remember correctly, I first got out to Sun Valley in the beginning of June and was fishing Silver Creek pretty regularly by mid-June and the PMD's were just beginning to come off regularly but I would have thought you would have been able to see them floating by in the film. It was an off year the year I was there so I was told by the surrounding shops and that the drakes just weren't coming off like normal. Again, if it was a drake you would have definitely been able to see them. I also remember some little tiny caddis and the BWO's would come off depending on the weather. It seemed like no matter what time of the year or day, there were always fish rising. When that was the case, I would put on an ant pattern or beetle and would pick up a few but they would be the little 3 inchers that would feed aggressively all day long.

Those are pictures of some of the rods I have built in my profile. Thanks for the compliments. I haven't beend building as much here lately since things have gotten busy around the house. I hope to get back to it once I get home from my trip to Canada at the end of this month.

silvercreek
06-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the reply. We fished it each year for about 15 years, and never did figure out what those trout were taking. We always caught a few good fish, but not with the consistency that indicated we had dialed in on what they were taking. Use to love the PMDs. Never was there for the drakes. Got a lot of action on Tricos though. Beautiful rods you build.

gmreeves
06-30-2009, 03:23 PM
I have a lot of great memories from fishing the preserve area of Silver Creek. It is where I discovered that there really is such a thing as an educated trout. I also hooked into fish that I talked to others about and they would say, "Oh yeah, you hooked Jaws, we call him that because of taht white scar on his upper right lip." Smart fish with names. Who would have ever thought. I sure miss that place.

silvercreek
06-30-2009, 03:37 PM
You bet they are educated. They will take up a position next to the bank with a weed mass farther out and sit right in that slot where any artifical will drag before it gets to them. I do not think that is an accident. I've seen it too many times and they are always good fish, no tiddlers in those spots. Makes for some memorable fishing when you finally take one of those guys.