PDA

View Full Version : pesky gnats

rivergal
06-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Any tips to deter pesky gnats other than cigars?

pineman19
06-29-2009, 10:14 AM
You may wanna try some skin so soft lotion by Avon, they use it for sand gnats along the coast, I had a little left from my time in Florida and I tried it a couple times last year in the Smokies and it seemed to help out. I don't like using the bug repellents on my skin unless I am getting massacred by mosquitos or yellow flies. I have heard repellents can be hard on fly lines as well.

Neal

cherokeeflyboy
06-29-2009, 10:49 AM
I found out this from a friend and it is very cheap.....get you a spray bottle and put a cap full on vanilla extract, real or imitation and then fill the rest of the way up with water, shake and you have it.

Skin So Soft works well too but you can not buy it just anywhere and it cost too much for the likes of me, makes you smell like a little girl too…lol.

pineman19
06-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm,

Well her ID is Rivergal so I have a feeling that smelling like a girl won't be a problem for her;)

pmike
06-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Skin So Soft, used it on a missions trip into the amazon jungle and never even got nibbled on.

Mike

PS: Be sure to be very careful with or avoid products with DEET, it has been known to destroy some breathable waders.

BlueRaiderFan
06-29-2009, 12:31 PM
You may wanna try some skin so soft lotion by Avon, they use it for sand gnats along the coast, I had a little left from my time in Florida and I tried it a couple times last year in the Smokies and it seemed to help out. I don't like using the bug repellents on my skin unless I am getting massacred by mosquitos or yellow flies. I have heard repellents can be hard on fly lines as well.

Neal

They have gnats in Iraq that are so small they fly right through mosquito netting. Skin so soft worked great! We were the best smelling infantry soldiers in history :biggrin:

The Principal
06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Does Skin-So-Soft attract Bears? I have heard they like sweet smelling stuff,

sammcdonald
06-29-2009, 10:03 PM
overdose on vitamin b12...harmless to you, but you will stink...which keeps bugs away

wynnsman
06-29-2009, 10:06 PM
I wear clear safety glasses when the light is not bright enough to wear sunglasses....Smith makes a pair of almost clear polarized ones.....

fishNlady
07-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Thermacell. It works great. I take it with me every time I'm in the woods.

The Principal
07-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I just bought a thermacell. Never used one. I hope it
works in Alaska.

cag215
07-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I spend lots of my outdoor time (hunting & fishing) in swamps down here in Fl.
We use the Thermacell, they work very good at keeping the skeeters off you.
Yellow flys..naaa, take a fly swater with you.
Gnats, the thermacell helps to keep them from swarming around you, but some always seem to get in your eyes.

Tip: The pads last longer than the butaine, Buy the 2 pack butaine cartridges for the Conair curling irons to supplament your supply of butaine.

Kytroutbum
07-02-2009, 06:35 PM
This may sound weird but I swear by it for "no seems" may work for gnats also.Try this for Gnats- Take a bounce fabric softener and dampen it so it suds up slightly and then wipe on hat brim and clothes, if that doesn't work try it on your skin. I've used it on the screens of my camper while on the OBX and Keys to keep "no seems" away. Other folks were going nuts at night with them, we had no problem!
IT WORKS WONDERS, have wiped my skin with it and had success with mosquitos and "no seems". I have concerns with using DEET, when not absolutely necessary. Experiment with it for Gnats should work.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

Bran
07-02-2009, 11:54 PM
The bounce sheets do work good. They will definately keep ticks off, we put them in our pocket fishing the creeks sometimes. The SSS works great too and I've used it many times, the only thing is it's a little oily but better than getting eaten alive. Our whole platoon used it in the Marine Corps, that is, after boot camp. They wouldn't give it to us in Parris Island, they would make us stand in a swarm of knats at attention and dare us to flinch!! I can remember the old DI's hollering "let 'em eat boys, they gotta eat too". Haha, "good old days".:biggrin::biggrin:

silvercreek
07-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Has anyone tried one of the Johnson and Johnson battery powered repellants that clips on to your belt?